Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Hendricks vs Churella match
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hendricks vs Churella match Login/Join

Junior High
Picture of green goblin
posted   Report This Post  
It looked like Big Churella had Hendricks in all kinds of trouble at the end of the 2nd period in the 165 match. Must not have been flat; or it would have been a pin, right? Although he looked pretty flat on the back to me.

Also looked like at least one of the Hendricks TDs at the edge of the mat in the 3rd period was pretty questionable; the first one specifically.

Askren is crazy. Smile It's just weird watching him wrestle. I liked his comments after the match. "No one else at the tournament was dumb enough to try to scramble with me." Smile
State Qualifier
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Green Goblin, you were being ultra kind when you said the takedowns looked questionable. That looked like the worst case of robbery I've ever seen in an NCAA tournament. In addition to the "takedowns" have you ever seen a college wrestler on his back that long without being pinned? The ESPN commentators even went back and showed the time that he had Hendricks inside a 45 degree angle and it was over 5 seconds. But he only got 2 back points. I suspect the director of officials will call those 2 officials aside and 'splain a few things to them.
Rookie
Picture of Featherweight
The ref didn't stop the match until about 2-3 seconds after the clock hit zero; he probably couldn't hear because it was deafening in there! So I think that is why only 2 points were awarded. But that one takedown in the last period was an awfully bad call.
Rookie
There's no doubt in my mind that Churella got screwed plain and simple. He definitely should have received 3 back points with the cradle, but most importantly he got robbed at the edge of the mat at least twice with the ref giving hendrichs takedowns. The one takedown wasn't even close hendrichs hadn't gained control of churella at all he simply was reaching across the body when they went out of bounds. The takedown in the closing seconds was extremely controversial as well, but I guess the ref didn't want to dissapoint those cowboy fans.

I did find some humor in watching mocco beg the ref for a stalling call. If I'm not mistaken when your inside the circle and a 30 second clock is counting down you should prbly try to get away or something...i don't know just my opinion.
Rookie
Hey Luigi if you watched it Konrad had locked his hands twice before that and thats why he was looking at the ref because Konrad locked his hands again. But what about that poor throw attempt or whatever it was by Mocco. It did nothing to Konrad and he just fed off of it.
Rookie
One thing about the Churella match was that he could have won. All he had to do was keep his wizzer at the end of the match. That's all he had to do and he would have won. After saying that, he should have been ahead by more than what he was ahead because the ref only gave him 2 when it should have been 3 and Hendricks second to the last takedown was not a takedown. So Churella had a chance to win it, but he did get 2 bad calls.
<shrug>
posted   Report This Post  
Hendricks couldn't have done better if his dad had been the main ref and his mother was his assistant ref. We just rewatched the match and were in awe of how many advantageous calls Hendricks got.

And I am not a Michigan fan......
Rookie
the Michagan wrestler had a huge hole in his game allowing hendricks to get in on him at will, sure he caught him with a cradel for big points and the ref should have called the fall but overall imo hendricks wrestled a better match.that was a awesome cradle though
Rookie
Picture of Ringworm
I will agree with the cradle churella had on at the end of the first should have been three back points instead of two. But you can all say what you want about hendricks but he did wrestle the better match. He was in on the hips of churella all the time and was the agressor. The one call for two one the edge of the mat could be questionable but the second one isnt. Hendricks had his body in bounce with the hips secure for two.

Moses
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
Here's a clip of the cradle...

The Clip

Should have at least 3 IMO
Rookie
If you look, the ref should be counting with 6 seconds left, at the latest 5 seconds left.
Junior Varsity
I would disagree with you all as far as backpoints go. If you stop it right when he has gets both shoulders within 4 inches the clock is at 4 seconds. Also, remember that Churella is not in control and I don't know if you award the takedown until he gets his hips on top. It definitely delays it at least. You have to remember there is human reaction time too. The takedowns on the other hand I do not know about.
Rookie
My son lost a match this weekend at RMN in a similar fashion. As it was explained to me, the reversal, takedown, etc. has to be awarded before the backpoints criteria can start to be satisfied. Control must be demonstrated before the ref can start his count.

Score was tied 6-6. My son was on top and in control with both legs in when the kid from Texas pulled his head under exposing his back. He was not pinned, the top of his head was the only part of his body on the mat, and the ref had not given 2 for a reversal. The other coach yelled for a reversal and the ref started counting, still not giving a reversal. I told Nick to stretch him out and to get his head up. No problem, right?

Ref scored this 2 reversal and 2 near fall for Texas and 2 reversal back for us. We lost 10-8 but never lost control and were on top the whole time. Knocked him out of the tournament.

It seems in the video clip that the ref did not start counting until he awarded the 2 points for control. That cost Churella the extra point.
Rookie
I watched the Hendricks match a few times, yes there were a lot of close calls on the edge of the mat. Questionable, maybe but Hendricks pushed the whole match. The back points for the cradle, at 5-6 seconds he was laying over churella's leg and the ref had not counted yet. Judgemnet call. If the refs had instant replay they would not have reversed it.

Good match but hendricks pushed the whole time.
Rookie
The last takedown was textbook. Hendricks had two ankles without a whizzer being in. That is two all day on the edge of the mat. Now if time was out, that is a different point.
Rookie
quote:
My son lost a match this weekend at RMN in a similar fashion. As it was explained to me, the reversal, takedown, etc. has to be awarded before the backpoints criteria can start to be satisfied. Control must be demonstrated before the ref can start his count.

Not at all, control begins when the Referee determines it in hs mind, there isn't always time to signal before you begin your Count..if he signals while criteria is being met the Wrestler in control is the one getting hurt in this situation. The Ref knows control has been established...he should be counting as soon as NF Criteria is met....if the Defensive Man gets out of the situation, the Ref then will signal 2 Reverse,or TD, whatever the caase might be, then whatever NF Points have been scored.
Rookie
I'm in no position to argue. Like I said, as it was explained to me....

He lost, its over, now on to Kearney.

I hope I get my "Crane - the other white meat" T-shirt back from the cleaners in time.
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
Must check this photo out... could answer many of the questions why Hendricks won!

Team Photo
Rookie
I was at the tournament and that call on the first takedown in the third was a horrible call just like all of you have been complaining about. I do think that Heindricks did out work Churella though. I mean at that level how do you let someone take you down twice in like 20-30 seconds. I don't think that Heindricks deserved the championship though. In actuality Heindricks shouldn't have even been in the Finals. The true champion in my opinion should have been Muzzafar Abdurakmanov, he is a sweet wrestler. He was the best in the weight class and got completely screwed over by the ref in the Semi's. I don't know why it seemed like all the really bad calls of the tournament happened to be in Heindrick's matches and they were for him weird. It must just be a coincedence that it was in Oklahoma.
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
I agree that Heindrick's outworked Churella. I just thought that Heindricks was pinned at the time; but I guess that isn't conclusive having reviewed the video.