Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Hastings College to add wrestling (NAIA).....

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hastings College to add wrestling (NAIA)..... Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
Hastings will add wrestling next year

HASTINGS, Neb. - Hastings College has formed a selection committee and has begun the search for a coach after deciding to add wrestling to its sports program for next year.

Seven schools in the 13-member Great Plains Athletic Conference will now field a wrestling team.

A full-time coach and a part-time assistant will be hired. Three home dual meets will be scheduled next season.
Junior Varsity
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
This is awesome news for wrestling and the state of NE. definitely will give about 30+ kids the opportunity to continue thier wrestling careers while getting a education. I hope they get a decent coach. They will have no problems finding good competition with in the state.

World Champion
Picture of HB
There should be a lot of interest in this job. I think you can build a winner out there at Hastings. Lots of talent in the area and a great opportunity to coach at the next level.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
This is great news, and hopefully this will spur other colleges like Concordia, Neb. Wesleyan, Doane and Wayne State into adding the sport.

It would be great if we could get the community colleges on board as well. I'd be willing to bet there are a number of wrestlers attending Southeast, Northeast, Mid-Plains, Platte, Nebaska Western, McCook and Metro who would jump at an opportunity to compete at this level. With some outstanding community college programs surrounding us in Iowa and Kansas, this would be a great chance to further the sport as well.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Central Community College has a number of wrestlers attending also. This is awesome news!!
Novice
Hey we're not that far 'out here'. I'm happy a local college is finally getting a wrestling team. I've always wanted to go to one of the husker duals, but a 2 hour drive on a school night, or the night before a tournament isn't too wise. Now I'll get to see a college dual in Hastings. Hurray.
Rookie
Have they hired a coach yet. Heard they had hired someone.
Rookie
Nope. I had a conversation with someone from Hastings yesterday. No coach yet. Had some applications already despite not having officially posted the job. Might not have a coach announced until Feb. or March if the coach is currently employed as a coach.
Novice
Northeast CC dropped Golf a couple of years ago. Adding wrestling would take an act o God. But I do believe in miracles! It would be great if the CC and the other 4 year schools got involved. With pressure on Title 9 rullings, maybe some might consider it. Wrestle ON!!

Coach Aschoff
World Champion
Picture of NWI
B.E. -- didn't NECC also drop volleyball???

If that's the case -- no way in hell they'll add wrestling, unfortunately.

Maybe they could be talked into adding BOTH...???

Novice
Yes, NWI. They dropped both the same year. I don't know that there is any chance of adding anything right now. They don't have a lot of funding for anything right now.

Coach Aschoff
World Champion
Picture of NWI
With all that support from business and industry up that way, you'd think Northeast could do a better job of fundraising to keep its athletic department viable and growing along with the rest of the area.

Wonder what's going on there...???