Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Best Coach of All time
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Best Coach of All time Login/Join

<Guest>
posted   Report This Post  
Who are the top ten head coaches of all time in Nebraska High School Wrestling? Here's a few.

Beau Hazlip
Curlee Alexander
Coach Malonie (sp) (Westside Coach)
Brad Hildebrand
Lanny Neese
Coach McCurdy
<Guest>
What about young coaches? Coaches who we will see around for a while? Some young coaches who successful programs?
<Guest>
COACH MIKE DENNEY started out as a high school coach. I really don't know much about that era but now he does one heck of a job.
<VoiceofReason>
My vote would have to go to Vern Ekfelt. He was the wrestling coach at Omaha Central and Omaha North for over 30 years. He was one of the big reasons the sport developed in this state and his teams won five state championships.
<Guest>
Don't forget about coaches from out west.

Deiter - Gering
Cullen - Alliance
Kant - Chadron
Teriani - Valentine
Smith - Gordon

All state champion coaches, many multiple times. Seeding meetings between these coaches are legandary, and probibly the reasons for the rules today.
<525>
Guy Mitty from Tekamah has to be a top 3. Look what he accomplished in the 80's and early 90's in class B and C in a town of only about 1800 people with no recruiting. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they still hold the all time record for the most points in the state tournament....
<Guest>
You are wrong.

In 1998, Kearney scored 196 points, breaking Tekamah-Herman's record of 192.5.

Tek still holds the Class C record though.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Rick Allgood

No list of all time best high school coaches is complete without Rick.
<WILDcat>
how bout Paul Sok of Winside. He certanly deserves to be listed amoung the best
<Rome>
The best coach has to be Tim N. Look what he did at NE and then at LNE!
<beancounter>
Can't really make this decision easily and especially without a set of criteria. I would like to see some of these coaches' records in three areas: Dual Record, Top 10 finishes, Top 3 finishes. Those that have the best records in all three of these areas would have my vote. I think that NWI should put together some sort of List of the top coaches in these areas. That would go a long way in dispelling the Smack Talk! If you stack up Tim Neumann to someone like Marty McCurdy, you have to go with McCurdy all the way!
<highcrotch>
I think the best quality a coach can have is not their win-loss record but the type of morals he instills in his wrestlers. Coach McCurdy is a great example. In my eyes, he is the best high school coach of all time, not because he led a team to three state titles but because of his teachings that go far beyond the wrestling mat.
<Rome>
But is it appropriate for a coach to instill his beliefs on young minds? Is it not the responsibility of the parent to decide the values that they want their child to learn? I do believe that there is a law as defined by The Supreme Court that mandates there is a separation of church and state. So while a coach should lead by example, he crosses the line when he discusses his religious beliefs with his athletes!
<highcrotch>
Never in my post did I say he is a great coach b/c of his religious beliefs. I'm certain it is not against the law to instill students and wrestlers with morals.
<therealguest>
We all know that rome just likes to try and stir the pot with his statements. They aren't even his opinion he just likes to be the devils advocate.
<Guest>
coach schumacher from randolph
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Don't know who put my name in but please take it off. I will not even consider my self a great coach or good for that matter until I reach the height of some of the great coaches in northeast nebraska. A few names of some coaches from while I was in high school and are still around today creating even greater individuals and teams - Kliment, Bonge, and Sok. I have great respect for these gentlemens abilities.
<gocke>
I have two nominees.
Dave Ciccone of York.
Bill Wofford of Aurora.
<polly>
I think the best coaches since I started watching wrestling

1-3 can't rank cause they are all great in there own way

Dale Bonge of Albion
Curley Alexander of North
Tom McCann of Kearney