Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    McCann out at Kearney?

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
McCann out at Kearney? Login/Join

Junior High
posted   Report This Post  
Heard a rumor that Coach McCann has resigned his post at KHS. Big time loss for Nebraska HS Wrestling if it's true.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Well he's taking kids to grand nationals next week, so my guess would probably be that he's not resigning.
Rookie
That information is incorrect. Coach McCann will be back next year.
Novice
I think they'll have to drag him out of the KHS wrestling office, straight to the cemetary. He sure loves his wrestling
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I think it would take a court order and National Guard troops to get Tom McCann to stop coaching wrestling. And if the Guard IS brought in, they'd better bring a whole battalion.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
I don't know Coach McCann, other than when he talked to an opposing wrestler (Dan Pedersen - Millard South) at the state tourney in 2007, when they didn't have their wrestler battle him for 3rd/4th in 2007 (at 130).

Dan wanted to wrestle, and was kind of miffed that the Kearney wrestler did not come out. Coach McCann explained the situation to Dan and he was then fine with it. I think there was concern for injury -- Dan was very physical, and the points weren't going to change team standings.

I have seen other situations where a coach doesn't bother to say a thing in a case like that. But I felt that was very classy on his part and I appreciated it.

For those that don't know ... Dan joined the Marines this year. He is through boot camp and combat training and waiting to get into his MOS school. So, he is cooling his heels out at Camp Pendleton at the moment.

Dan was the best distance runner in his platoon, doing just under 6 minute miles for a 3+ mile run.

World Champion
Picture of HB
Congrats on raising a fine young man GG!

quote:
Originally posted by green goblin:
I don't know Coach McCann, other than when he talked to an opposing wrestler (Dan Pedersen - Millard South) at the state tourney in 2007, when they didn't have their wrestler battle him for 3rd/4th in 2007 (at 130).

Dan wanted to wrestle, and was kind of miffed that the Kearney wrestler did not come out. Coach McCann explained the situation to Dan and he was then fine with it. I think there was concern for injury -- Dan was very physical, and the points weren't going to change team standings.

I have seen other situations where a coach doesn't bother to say a thing in a case like that. But I felt that was very classy on his part and I appreciated it.

For those that don't know ... Dan joined the Marines this year. He is through boot camp and combat training and waiting to get into his MOS school. So, he is cooling his heels out at Camp Pendleton at the moment.

Dan was the best distance runner in his platoon, doing just under 6 minute miles for a 3+ mile run.

It wasn't a concern for injury or that Dan was a physical wrestler. Islam had already blown out his knee and couldn't continue. He had reconstructive surgery a couple weeks after the state tournament.

Give Dan our thanks for his service to our country.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
I didn't get to directly hear the conversation between Dan and Coach McCann, just the recap from Dan afterwards. Islam had wrestled every match up to that point, as far as I know. Maybe the previous match had been the tipping point on his knee?

The main point, was that an opposing coach cared enough about the opposing wrestler -- to talk to him; felt that he was deserved an explanation. That was what I was impressed with.
Rookie
quote:
Ignored post by Red Rocker posted June 01, 2010 08:45 PM Show Post

In 1982, I had the unique opportunity to wrestle in Japan and Korea as a member of a national collegiate team, from Kearney State College at the time.
Guess who stepped up to help out with the fundraising for the trip, a HIGH school coach from Kearney?
You already know the answer: Tom McCann.
When Tom was voted outstanding male athlete at the Cornhusker State Games a few years back (at age 50 I believe after winning a gold in everything entered) I wasn't a bit surprised.
Truly, a good guy in the sport.