Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Mistake made during broadcast.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Mistake made during broadcast. Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
I understand we made a mistake during yesterday's broadcast. I can only offer my sincere apology to Sean Trampe, which I will also send to him personally. I have always had the utmost respect for the Trampe wrestling family.

It does not make up for the error, however the picture in the paper this morning confirmed my suspicions. Prior to the finals, we are given a list of who will be wearing red or green. Apparently, that is where the mistake was made. My note cards have Trampe listed with the green leg band. It makes it more difficult when schools have similar team colors such as Ord and Kimball. Many times during the broadcast you're looking at one of the other four mats when a pin occurs quickly on another mat and you miss it.

I sincerely apologize for the error. Very few people realize the difficulty of trying to commentate all four classes and 112 wrestlers. We do the best we can to get as much information as possible on each and every wrestler. We also try to ensure that we pronounce each wrestler's name properly. That's a task not as easy as it may sound.

Again, I can't apologize enough for this mistake. We're not perfect, but after watching the coverage of other states I think we do a pretty good job. After 15 years and over 800 champions crowned, I hope that most people people are pleased with our coverage.

I am not looking for this post to turn into an ugly thread. Please refrain from those type of posts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RJ Nebe,
Novice
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
RJ...You did a great job yesterday in spite of the mix up. Those type of things happen both in print and on the TV. The type of coverage that you adn Nebraska Public TV provide is one of the best, if not the best of any in the US! Seeing all four classes wrestle and the crowning of the champs is commendable!

I hope to watch you for years to come!

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Your apology is appreciated by many I'm sure. I'd love to comment further on this but the integrity of the thread has already been contaminated, I'm sure you understand.

World Champion
Picture of NWI
RJ -- As someone with prior experience in broadcasting, I know the challenges that you and Steve have in keeping all that information straight and accurate. Even with all that right there in front of you, sometimes mistakes are made during the course of a live broadcast -- especially when the mistake is not yours initially, as was the case with the Trampe match -- that aren't realized until later when you go back and listen to it.

Ross asked me to help him out with the finals coverage on Huskermat at the last minute, so I had much less prep time than you and Steve did. I HOPE I didn't butcher anybody's names during the course of the broadcast (and if I did, I apologize), but I certainly can understand and appreciate your situation.

I don't usually get a chance to watch the broadcast -- although I have seen some after the fact that were taped by fans at home -- but from what I've seen and heard from others, you guys do a fantastic job and should be commended for the effort.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
RJ: You guys do a great job each and every year in a real pressure cooker of a broadcast assignment. In the excitement of the moment, there is no way to keep track of two exciting matches at the same time, let alone four and 8 is an impossible task.
I personally want to apologize to you and your crew if I posted any comments on huskermat that may have appeared over critical of your coverage. I watched it all, sometimes standing in front of the TV as a match came down to an exciting finish, totally ignoring another match on the screen.
Please don't let one minor incident diminish your efforts to provide quality wrestling coverage in Nebraska. We need more of it, not less. Also remember that we wrestling fans are an raucous, but amicable family like no other in sports and we will probably continue to pick on each other unmercifully, but isn't it fun.
Al Svoboda
Holdrege & Burwell
Rookie
The TV coverage was top notch! Following 4 matches and trying to keep them all straight is a feet in itself. NETV's coverage blows away anything I have every seen in other states. Plus the 3 day coverage on the net was great. You guys did an awesome job. Try getting coverage like that in Iowa through The Predicament. All you guys should be applauded!

Remember-CLONESRULE!!!
Junior Varsity
RJ you guys did a great job don't sweat it I am sure that everyone understands that there are a lot matches too follow and you give out a ton of information on each wrestler trying make it a little personal for us fans. Great job keep up the good work.
Novice
RJ: One last comment, then see you on TV next year.
Browse some of the threads about the World Herald coverage, then be glad you don't work there. (You don't do you?) Talk about catching heat from the fans!

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
I guess the troll went to mass Smile Moose, I agree about the coverage RJ and NETV does, but I can't forget your own statement, I think it was yours, about the ' O ' on Sean's singlet. I'd be curious to know RJ, if more help doing the broadcast would be welcomed? Also, can the NET DVD be edited to correct it?

Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
I have not watched the show yet but the first time I was exposed to wrestling was watching the finals many years ago .

You guys do a great job and I know a lot of people that would never see a wrestling match have been hooked through watching these broadcasts .

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Novice
I'd love to see the people who were complaining about it, try and do the commentating. I have a feeling they would fail miserably.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
RJ did the big paper airplane made out of a Marines poster show up on the show ?

Thought it was going to take you guys out !

Death from above Bwahaha

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
Thanks everyone for keeping this a positive thread.

As far as help with the broadcast, I am always open to any help or any info/inside scoops that people can offer. I love when people catch me at the tournament to give me a great story about a wrestler. If anyone wants to stay up with me on Friday night to fill out my note cards, I'm always "recruiting" (couldn't help that one)

The paper airplane was a direct hit on one of our production assistants standing guard next to us. He threw his body in front of us to take the shot! I loved the beach balls and the airplanes. I'm not a big fan to some of the other items that were being thrown down on the mats. The security folks definitely were outmanned this year.
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
You could see the some beach balls flying through the air at the beginning of the broadcast. Smile
Rookie
Hey RJ, classy move admitting your mistake. That takes guts. I do have a question though. Why in the Class D 103 division did you guys keep saying "Nekoli" for Nekoliczak? I asked the kid directly how it was pronouonced at a meet last year and he said "nickle-eye-zick". I was wondering if "Nekoli" was a nickname or what. That's all. Overall good job though. Especially for all the action going on.

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
Mr. Utah, I'm guilty of being very upset at the misidentification of the real winner of Class C 103, I would do the same for yours or any other. I'm fully cognizant of the size of the job the announcers do and don't claim to be able to do it better. Its obvious RJ Nebe recognizes the level of importance attributed to a moment like this and he is addressing it. I don't really think anyone was bashing the entire broadcast at all, I certainly hope not.

Rookie
I was sitting up in one of the Qwest Center suites watching the finals and we were listening to the broadcast on NETV. R.J. does a great job on the broadcasts and is very informed. He brings a lot of excitement, energy and passion to what he does.

I had a chance to work with R.J on TV last year at the Skutt-Lewis Central dual and I was very impressed with how well-prepared he was for that event. His attention to every little detail was impressive.

He was up until 4 a.m. Friday night/Saturday morning doing homework, studying and preparing for the finals.

I can assure you that NETV got more than its money's worth from the work and time R.J. put in for the state meet.

I don't understand why people have to take something like this and blow it completely out of proportion. It's pretty ridiculous.

A mistake was made and he truly is sorry. Let's move on and not make this bigger than what it should be.

The guy does a great job and the people in this state should appreciate what they have.

It's not easy trying to watch four matches at the same time and try and offer commentary on each one. He does a great job.
Novice
Picture of SD Husker
RJ:

I would like to apologize for being rude in my comments yesterday here on huskermat about your broadcast. I'll be a man and tell you that I called you a douche bag on here, but at the time I was way out of line. I know that broadcasting 4 high profile matches at a time is very stressful and tough! You also don't have the luxury of the radio broadcasters, as to where the fans and listeners can't also see the action that you are speaking of.

I know that the Trampe family has been involved in Nebraska High School wrestling for years, and I think the reason that I got so mad was that this error came on a match with an individual whose family has so much history in this sport. I feel bad for my reactions to you and the other posters who were involved in that argument (well maybe with the exception of Mason).

On the other hand, thank you for acknowledging your mistake as well. You guys overall did an excellent job on the finals.

Sincerely,
Will Price

"Pain is Temporary...Pride is Forever"
Rookie
Picture of stive
RJ,
First off I want to thank you for all of the time you put into making Nebraska wrestling and the State Finals broadcast what it is. All of your hard work is greatly appreciated.

Secondly I just wanted to let you know that there is absolutely no hard feelings from myself or my family for the minor mistake made in yesterday's braodcast. When I first heard about I just laughed because I really didn't think it was that big of a deal, nor should it have been. I want you to know that your apology is completely accepted even if it isn't completely necessary. Also, thank you for giving up your time to bring the people unable to attend the finals an oppurtunity to see the show with top notch commentating, everything you do is appreciated.

Thanks again,
Sean Nagel...er...Trampe
(couldn't help it)
Novice
TK: The "Big O" comment was mine and it was a good one, too. Perhaps Ord should go with white singlets with red O's.
However, they apologized for their error to the person most affected, Shawn Trampe. I make my share of mistakes too and try to apologize for them as best I can and hope that's good enough. So, enough said by me.