Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Wrestling on the Radio

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Wrestling on the Radio Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
Fellow Wrestling Enthusiasts, at a wrestling duals in Callaway during my son's freshman year (he is now a senior) a radio station in Broken Bow (KBBN I believe) was doing take down by take down coverage of a few of the better duals. Was this an anomaly or do radio stations cover wrestling duals from time to time? Radio stations cover the worst volleyball and basketball games with play by play, just wondering if in the wrestling strongholds of Nebraska if radio coverage happens?

posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Doug Duda with Power 99 in Kearney does an outstanding job of broadcasting wrestling in Central Nebraska. He did the Amherst finals and the finals of the Lou Platte Conference. He usually does the KHS Invite finals but it was the same day as the Big XII Championship this year. He also will usually do a dual or 2 but don't think that got done this year.

Every year he broadcasts the State Semi-finals live focusing on the kids in Central Nebraska.

HB will broadcast a few of the finals of the bigger tournaments depending on his schedule but then broadcasts the entire State Tournament from start to finish. That is just via the web but still broadcast live!

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
KNLV out of Ord will do the C-4 district and state tourney. KBBN out of Broken Bow will do the LVC conference tourney and the state tournament as well.
Novice
KBRX out of O'Neill just did the broadcast of our dual tonight with O'Neill. They have done this at least a dozen times if not more over the years, dating back to when John Kant was their sports guy there years back. They do a wonderful job. They carried the whole NENAC conference dual tourney a couple weeks ago, and I think they will be back at State for some coverage as well.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Duda is one of the best around when it comes to "play-by-play" of wrestling, especially among those in the business who don't have a wrestling background. Duda gets the sport and captures it very well.

There aren't many radio stations around that either have the talent or the ability to do play-by-play of wrestling. KBRX has had some good people doing stuff in the past in O'Neill, and John Kant also did it when he was out at Chadron. I've heard some of Broken Bow's coverage in the past, and they do a great job, and I think Falls City's station does some live coverage as well.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
KTIC-FM, 107.9 "The Bull" out of West Point has covered the Oakland-Craig Invitational Finals the past couple years Live with Russ Vering and Alan Snodgrass doing play-by-play. I've always been at the tournament, but I hear they do a great job. KTIC also does live updates and play-by-play during the State Tournament with Tom McMahon and Rusty Droescher doing the coverage. They have done it for a long time now and do a very good job as well. They usually have to be 'reminded' and invited for the OC Invite, but do what they can to be there. Those are the only two events that are done in Northeast Nebraska that I am aware of.
Novice
I have a funny story about a radio broadcast. It was probably 5 years ago Clarks always has the finals on the radio and I was listening. It was near impossible to know what was going on. There was a lot of he grabbed his leg he is grabbing his arm. The one that stands out in my mind though is when talking about the referees position the radio guys says. "John is getting on top the table." Ha ha I was like what the hell is going on why is he getting on top the table. Oh man I don't think I will ever forget it.