Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Thoughts as wrestling season winds down

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Thoughts as wrestling season winds down Login/Join

Junior High
Picture of green goblin
posted   Report This Post  
Hard to believe the season is coming to a close.

I feel a little similar to what Go4ZPin posted at the beginning of the season. My son, a freshman wrestler is off to districts and its kind of hard to believe that it is time for that already.

Last year he was wrestling at Huskerland ... this year possibly the state tournament with a chance to medal and an outside chance to make it to the state finals.

I have watched him wrestle for 8 years now; and it never gets old. He has made fairly steady progress; and this year is no different. Started a little slow and really picked up steam as the season wore on.

In his case; I really don't think the state tournament is going to phase him (presuming he gets there). The bigger the arena; the better he likes it. He wrestled 3 years at the Tulsa Nationals and knows what it is like to be in a big tournament. He may lose; but it wont be because he was in awe of the atmosphere.

Maybe that is the difference between freshman now and years previously. If you didn't go to a tournament like Tulsa at least once; you might be awed by the atmosphere. A lot of freshman have now had that experience ... and have wrestled people tougher than themselves at such a tournament and taken some lumps. It gets you ready for wrestling upperclassmen (imo).
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Enjoy it, you will not believe how fast the 4 years of high school go. My son is now FAT and in college, but what a ride.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
there is nothing wrong with being fat and being college....now where did my chicken strips go???

To be the best, you have to beat the best.
<C-BUS Fan>
Ill eat to that, somebody order a pizza
Rookie
OK we will have pizza for supper. Oh by the way my son is on the computer way to much also. How do you type with food in both hands?
<~*~*Wrestling Girl*~*~>
Shouldn't you be busy at work Discoverer, and shouldn't C-BUS fan be studying? Pizza for dinner does sound tempting thoughSmile
<Guest>
I have a wrestler at home, so no pizza @ our house since last november. What time should I come over?
<Skat>
I remember the "no pizza during wrestling season" years. My son ate pizza for a week straight after his final match at state his senior year.
Rookie
Mr. Goblin, you have hit the nail on the head. My three boys wrestled Huskerland before we moved to Colorado. They thought that was the end all be all of wrestling. I took them to Lincoln and showed them the show at the finals. To this day, I still get misty thinking about the parade of champions. But, when we moved out here, our first tournament experience was an eye opener. My 6 year old had a 64 man bracket, he wrestled 6 times went 4-2 and did not place. Since then, we have been to the Rocky Mountain Nationals and the Tulsa Nationals 3 years in a row and have taken 9 trophies out of 9 tournaments. Wrestling in front of that many people with that kind of pressure has made them grow up really fast. Tulsa is another world compared to the local 4 man tournaments we used to hit back home. Its no wonder that the kids who are hitting high school as freshmen with that kind of experience are really doing well. See Matt Vacanti, Jay Scherer, Aaron Denson, etc. The state tournament atmosphere doesn't intimidate any of these guys. If you have seen the show at the Tulsa National finals, you'll know what I mean.