Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    No more tape on headgear

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
No more tape on headgear Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
This out of the Kansas Officials NFHS rules meeting last night in Overland Park.

A further clarification of rule 4.1.5 which states:
"The uniform (includes required shoes, headgear, and singlet) shall be worn as intended/designed by the manufacturer."

FOR THIS 2011-12 SEASON:
No tape will be allowed on the head gear. No longer will tape be allowed to secure straps, cover breaks in the head gear, or be placed on head gear for logo adornment(s).

Still not 100% sold on what the rationale is that drove this strict interpretation of the rule.....but it appears the law of the land for this season.

Interesting to see how much time will be wasted at matches awaiting for wrestlers to re-adjust their HG.

Hooah!
AB box
p.s. We don't need no stinkin' tape on kevlar helmets either Cool
Novice
Picture of pinmachine
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
If they're gonna get crazy strict like this, wouldn't that mean no tape on shoe laces, because the manufacturer didn't design the shoes with tape on the laces...

I really hope this is just a Kansas thing.

"Summer wrestling makes Winter champions."
Rookie
I dont see how this is a problem to have tape on a headgear
Rookie
Picture of NEYW
No taping laces either?

Doug Weidner
http://www.usyw.org
douglas.weidner@neyw.org
Rookie
Tape to secure shoe laces, still allowed/required. Apparently that's seen as a "safety must", versus equipment modification.

I find interesting how this new change has been kept relatively "hushed" in the NFHS posters and look-ahead flyers, as compared to other NFHS changes publicized (weight categories, boundary line, etc)...

Hoaah!
AB box
Novice
Picture of pinmachine
quote:
Originally posted by pinmachine:
wouldn't that mean no tape on shoe laces, because the manufacturer didn't design the shoes with tape on the laces...

...sarcasm Wink

"Summer wrestling makes Winter champions."
Rookie
What about taping on the hair covers that constantly fall off?
Rookie
Hey TheWarrior...now you're getting into the real difficult questions.
...you know how much I know about hair! rotfl

I guess is that the ref will be the final authority on the legality of those, after all, this specific rule clarification on "tape" didn't address hair covers, it specifically referred to uniform items (required shoes, headgear, singlet). ...but shoelace taping is allowed. Go figure. I suspect something happened on the LEGAL side to drive this change.

It'll be an interesting season on the mat.

Hoaah!
AB box
Junior High
They thought they had a lot of match stoppages for head gear before? Just wait.

They better get to designing a better head gear. Most wrestlers tape them so they fit correctly and don't come off.
Junior High
quote:
No tape will be allowed on the head gear. No longer will tape be allowed to secure straps, cover breaks in the head gear, or be placed on head gear for logo adornment(s).

Sorry.. After the third time, I make them tape the (velcro) chin strap... Also makes the argument for the teams (or the wrestler if not using a school issued headgear) to have replacement straps in the kit.

quote:
Tape to secure shoe laces, still allowed/required. Apparently that's seen as a "safety must", versus equipment modification.

Twofold... Prevents the kids from pulling the stall tactic of untying and retying the laces, and taped FLAT to the shoe (not in 'pigtails') takes away a 'tangle point' (albeit minor).
Novice
Picture of 3/4 Nelson
why is this not showing up on the NFHS website as a change? I am guessing this is something Kansas is adding.

"Defeat is not getting back up"
State Qualifier
The NFHS rules book always lists the new rules and changes to old rules at the beginning of the book. There is no mention of no tape there nor is there any mention in Rule 4, Section 1 WRESTLERS' UNIFORM.

"Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas any more". Dorothy in Alice in Wonderland.
Rookie
1) Rule 4, Section 1, Article 5 states:
"The uniform shall be worn as intended/designed by the manufacturer"

2) The Slide show that NFHS sent for officials clinic training this year, specifically states that "tape" is considered a modification that was not intended by the manufacturer of the headgear--which is part of the uniform.
It further showed 2 pictures of headgear modified with "tape" that are not allowed, and officials are expected to enforce.

3) Rule 4-1-4 states that "the headgear is supposed to have an adjustable device to prevent it from coming off or turning on the wrestlers head". Per the rules meeting, the "tape" is not such adjustable locking device, therefore it becomes an unauthorized modification.

Perhaps you're right and "it's just a Kansas thing"...but I strongly suggest you ask officials in Nebraska who have attended the rules meeting and have gone through the NFHS slide set, what they plan to do.

I can't comprehend why NFHS made mention to the officials about this strict interpretation, and has made a practically ZERO effort to clarify to all the coaches and the wrestling community.
r,

Hooah!
AB box
Rookie
Also see the NFHS Preseason Guide for Wrestling 2011-12. Last page, last article: "The earguards must meet the requirements of Rule 4-1-4" and "Shall be worn as intended/designed by the manufacturer".

No further guidance was given......TO THE PUBLIC

....but at the official's rules meeting, "No Tape" was specifically mentioned, and pictures were shown of illegal modifications with tape (to straps / to earguard).