Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
proposals Login/Join

Junior High
posted   Report This Post  
Has anyone seen the two proposals given to the NSAA?
One about # of teams in class A.
The other about district seeding.

There seems to be a mistake with the district seeding one. The language to change, and the new language are exactly the same.

Hus
World Champion
Picture of TK
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
coach, please enlighten those of us that can not access this information. Maybe its not intended to be out in the open, possibly you can follow up on the insiders if needed? i.e. what are the proposals to NSAA and where do the proposals come from?

Rookie
Junior High
I don't remember the people who submitted the proposals.
These proposals are sent to memeber schools and then are voted on by NSAA schools in the district meetings. My AD gave me the proposals to peruse, before meeting back with him and deciding our vote.

The first proposal says Class A should be the first 40, the B the next 48, then split C and D between the leftovers.

The second proposal is addressing the no JV rule I believe. It is a sensible idea. Only matches which were wrestled for the 30 point season will count. So matches wrestled on a freshman or JV schedule will not count, and should not be used at district seeding. But, a varsity wrestler who is counting his matches toward his 30 points can still count any match, versus jv or not. (this allows for the smaller class tournaments to continue to have larger school jv teams come in)

I am confused by the last, because each proposal has two sections. One says language to be changed, and the other says new language.
On this proposal, the two sections say exactly the same thing. NOthing was changed.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I know I've been chirping about the classification setup for a while now, and I'm glad to see Mark Oliver and his administration at Auburn put this proposal forward to the NSAA.

This year, there are the usual 32, 48 and 64 in the three larger classes, and SEVENTY-FIVE in Class D. Under this proposal, you'd have 40, 48, 64 and 67, which makes a lot more sense and limits the possibility of 17- or higher man brackets and puts all four classes in 16-man bracket situations.

This will also greatly reduce the number of Class A wrestlers qualifying for state with a sub-.500 record, which has been a major criticism of Class A at the state tournament over the last several years.

It's a sensible proposal...whether it gets over the walls of administrative bureaucracy and goes before the NSAA Board of Control remains to be seen.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Actually, the way the proposal is written, C would have 65 teams and D would have 66. Using this years enrollment figures; Class A would have a total enrollment of 44531 students; Class B would have a total enrollment of 13479; Class C would have a total enrollment of 8610; and Class D would have a total enrollment of 4840. The top 3 schools is Class A combined would have 527 more students than all of Class D.
Junior High
Wow, those are startling numbers!!!
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
Actually, I am not for this proposal, and not because I don't want the competition. I don't think you can have any proposal at the exclusion of other sports. If you want to advance this proposal, I am assuming that other sports should fit under the same umbrella. If the problem exists in wresting, it surely should exist in other sports across class A. So any proposal should include all of class A and not just one sport. Secondly, the numbers of schools will be changing as consolidations take place and enrollments change. I think any proposal should look at the total number of participants (individual wrestlers) in any class. I am not sure that anyone has studied this data. Basically all the proposal does is throw out an indiscriminant number....40. I would argue that on the other side of things we want to make sure that the brackets are full in D and that we keep a high level of quality in D as well. The age old argument about the wins and losses each A wrestler incurs is kind of weak at best. Similarly, if I read the proposal right, there is some worry that class A will have less than the four qualifiers in each weight class.....I have yet to see this since we went from 25 schools to the present 32. I think it pretty unlikely that we will ever have this situation. I guess time will tell what the AD's think of the situation. My hunch is that they will be looking at the greater whole with their sports programs and not just at one individual sport.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Grapp...if you recall 10 years ago, they tried the "one size fits all" concept when they made Class A 24 schools in all sports. That was the year when there were 5-6 kids who qualified for state with ZERO wins, and if memory serves, there was even one or two byes at some of lighter weights. The next year they increased Class A to 32, but in wrestling only. I believe it's still 24-25 for the other sports (not including those that petition to play up a class).

As schools consolidate in C and D, it will reduce the number of schools competing. Hopefully some of those no-wrestling schools that consolidate will add the sport and that will offset that loss.

Just my $.17 (adjusting for inflation)

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray