Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Scary Thought About Poll for State Tournament Ideas.

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Scary Thought About Poll for State Tournament Ideas. Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
I just checked the poll and it's scary to see that the leading choice is to wrestle back for a true second place. Do you really think anyone wants to stick around for an anti-climatic, match? The only time I have ever seen a true second or true fourth is when it is a qualifying tournament to advance to the next tournament. Then it's important and the wrestlers have real incentive in the match. Consider that you just lost a close match in the finals. You are physically and mentally exhausted. And in 45 minutes you must defend second place against a wrestler who wrestle 4-5 hours ago and is physically and mentally up.

The true second could have ramifications in a tight team race, but if that's your motivation then it's only fair that we also wrestle for true fourth and sixth places.

I'd like to read the opinions of coaches and of wrestlers who actually did place second. How would have felt about coming back for a true second match. Those of you who have actually been in the arena could shed light on this subject. Please post your thoughts. Thank you.

posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Better look again.

Seed the District Champs is first followed by liven the parade then wrestle for a true 2nd.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Lance Stallion
Ask Evan Bohnet if he'd like to wrestle for true second. I would bet that in 1987, Jason Dethlefs would've been all for it too.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Red Rocker:
Better look again.

Seed the District Champs is first followed by liven the parade then wrestle for a true 2nd.

I guess my eyes were all misty and tearing from the shame of allowing myself get caught up in the scam suggested by Fly AA.
Novice
We used to wrestle for a true second back in the 'days'. Was a means for qualifying for state. Did not have any effect on the team races. The scores stayed the same.
If the second (who now has lost and is third I guess)hasn't wrestled the 4th, does the 4th get to challenge for a true third? Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
quote:
Originally posted by Red Rocker:
Better look again.

I guess my eyes were all misty and tearing from the shame of allowing myself get caught up in the scam suggested by Fly AA.

You do understand that with just a coupla clicks, both of you can be relegated to never never land don't you???

Just sayin'.....

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Lance Stallion:
Ask Evan Bohnet if he'd like to wrestle for true second. I would bet that in 1987, Jason Dethlefs would've been all for it too.

Of course the 3rd placer would like to wrestle again. He has wrestled and won 4-5 hours ago. He's up mentally and physically. Would he have a slight advantage over the wrestler who lost a heartbreaker 45 minutes ago and is physically and mentally drained?
Rookie
i bet evan would have loved to wrestle for a true second because he beat the kid from GI two times during the year. one was a 13-1 score. i know for a fact that he would have been ready right after his third place match. Also Jay Scherer got 3rd his senior year and pinned the kid who got second earlier during the season. the pin came early in the first period. jay was obviously the second best wrestler but the brackets put perkins on the same side. i think a true second would settle a lot of arguments.
Rookie
Picture of Mustang Wrestler
I hate it as much as the next fan when you see wrestler A and B, clearly the two most talented wrestlers in the weight, on the same side of the bracket at state. I can see why some desire a match for "true second." Just a thought though, if we push for seeding the district champs then the wrestle back for true second is not necessary in my opinion. Add this change to the current format of district champ and runner-up being on opposite sides.

This should ensure that the two best wrestlers end up on the opposite side of the bracket, or atleast drastically cut down on the number of "state finals matches" being wrestled on friday night (only exception is if wrestler B is in different district than wrestler A and gets upset in finals match of district finals, but as close to perfection as we can get without boring the faltering number of fans even more so).

Next, I think we push for a longer, more exciting Parade of Champions. If we convince the NSAA to pass these two we "kill three birds with two stones" so to speak. Now, we have top notch finals match ups that everyone wants to see. Also, you eliminate the anti-climatic ending that already plagues the state tournament.

I'd also venture to guess that attendance numbers would increase. Any thoughts on this strategy?