Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Eliminating a class in the next two years
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Eliminating a class in the next two years Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of dad189
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Remembering way back, 1974-75. Aberdeen Central, 3rd largest school in the state of SD, about 1300 kids in 3 grades.
We probably had 100-150 supporters at each match and we were a so-so team. Lot of support compared to most of the class A teams here in Nebraska that I have seen.
Basketball, which was my sport, drew about 2000 supporters.
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
Here's Minnesota's Class structure for wrestling...

A - 76 teams Students - Approx 330 and under
AA - 90 teams Students - Approx 330 - 800
AAA- 87 teams Students - Approx 800 - 2500

The question Nebr. HS wrestling needs to answer is if they want the wrestling to get better or provide more potential opportunities for a handful more students.

I do believe it comes down to that too. Better wrestlers or more opportunities...
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
Thanks Frank...that offers plenty of insight that we should take a close look at.

Thanks again!
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
quote:
Originally posted by Radio Man:
How about some of you people from (or familiar with) S. Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, etc. system that participate on this forum give us the stats from those states and we can better judge our current and proposed systems? Anyone?

Radio Man,
Iowa has 3 classes. The largest class (3A) consists of the 64 biggest schools, ranging in size from 1927 down to 478. 2A is made up of the next 96 schools and ranges from 457 down to 220. The remaining 123 schools are in Class A and range from 220 down to 73. As with Nebraska, these figures will not be 100% accurate because of 2 schools co-oping, but they are quite close.
When I have heard a discussion of increasing the number of teams in Class A in Nebraska I always hear that it isn't fair because the smaller Class A schools wouldn't have a chance. I went back the past 10 years to see how much the mega sized schools have dominated Class 3A in Iowa. The first number after the school name is its 2005-06 ranking by size. The second number is the 2005-06 enrollment.

1996 Urbandale 41 812
1997 Cedar Falls 22 1088
1998 Cedar Falls 22 1088
1999 Iowa City 17 1159
2000 Lewis Central 47 654
2001 Lewis Central 47 654
2002 Iowa City 17 1159
2003 Oskaloosa 48 564
2004 Lewis Central 47 654
2005 Waverly-SR 56 526

Waverly-Shell Rock is ranked as the number 1 team this year also.

This doesn't look to me like the "biggies" have a habit of beating up on their little brothers too much.

The 3A schools are placed in 8 districts of 8 teams each. The top 2 placewinners advance to the state tournament. Second place is a true second. The loser of the district championship match must defend second place againt the winner of the consolation round, unless he beat that wrestler earlier in the district meet. The third place winner is on standby and if one of the district qualifiers gets sick, hurt, or fails to make weight the third placer fills his slot at state.

The 96 2A schools start in 16 sectionals of 6 teams each. First and second (true second) placers advance to 8 districts and the first and true second placers in the district meet advance to state.

The 123 1A schools start in 16 sectionals. Most sectionals have 8 or 9 teams. Ironically, 2 sectionals have only 7 teams. This is strictly a geography problem; it eliminates some very long travel for a couple of teams.
First and true second placers advance to 8 district meets, with first and true second placers advancing to state.

In all classes the third placer in the sectional is on standby to fill a vacant slot in district, and the third placer in district is on standby for state.

Iowa also wrestles for seventh and eighth places.

I think Nebraska would improve the overall wrestling if a class was dropped and the remaining 3 classes evened up a little in numbers. But before that is done I think the system of qualifying for state should be examined. I think it is unwise to have only 4 districts, particularly in C and D. The seedings meetings are a joke. The head to head criteria is probably 90% accurate but when the schools are so far apart many times there has been no head to head competition. The common opponent criteria is probably about about 60% accurate, but, once again that can come into play very infrequently because of the distance. So most seedings are settled on record, which is probably less that 1% accurate. Should a wrestler with a record of 22-4, which includes 4 wins over the same opponent, 3 forfeits in dual meets, and 4 byes in tournaments be seeded above a wrestler who actually wrestled 25 times enroute to a record of 18-7, including the Ekfelt tournament, the High Plains or Chadron tournaments, and the Clash? I think not. If we broke those 4 districts into 8 sub-districts and had the first and true seconds advance to the 4 districts the sub-districts would have about 1/2 the distance between teams so a more accurate seeding would be possible. We could still take the top 4 from each district to state, although I would like to have a match between the loser of the consolation final and the winner of the consolation bracket from the other side wrestle to decide a true fourth. We would then have a true fifth who would be on standby for the state meet.

Just my opinions, which are probably worth exactly what they cost you.
Rookie
Picture of Zack Morris
Not quite sure when people started to count byes in tournaments as wins in their overall records, must of started last night.

South Dakota has 2 classes, A and B. A = top 32 schools that sponsor wrestling and B = the rest. The A schools wrestle in 4 regions with 8 teams with the top 4 qualifying for the state meet that rotates between Sioux Falls, Rapid City, Watertown and Aberdeen. The B schools will have 8 districts with no less than 7 teams in a district. The top 4 at districts will qualify for their regional tournament with the top 4 from another district. From their the top 4 at regions moves onto the state meet which rotates between Sioux Falls and Aberdeen. When the B tournament is in Sioux Falls, the A tournament will be in Aberdeen, Watertown or Rapid City and vice versa. The other thing is they place out 8 in both classes.

To me this is about participation, participation in a state tournament is a huge thing to these kids. Take away a class and you are taking away opportunities away from the kids and for what? "To stregthen wrestling in Nebraska". I don't think so. Shifting the schools by addition is fine, but eliminating a class is just wrong. Who cares what people on the outside looking in think, if a kid can tell his son or grandson that he got to wrestle at the state tournament then we have done our job, regardless of that kids record. The one thing I would like to see changed is the number of medalists increased to 8. Once again the kids. That 8th place medal around some kids neck isn't going to mean any less to him or anyone else if it was instituted. That 2nd round wrestle back match will be some exciting wrestling because there is a medal at stake.
Rookie
Are there any coaches counting tournament byes as wins???????

I hope not!!!!

i hope not....yer dumb if you do

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Rookie
I like the 3 class idea. As a wrestler from an A school we had 6 or 7 wrestlers fighting for varsity. Thats the same as 6 or 7 small school wrestlers fighting for qualifying for state, right? Plus many Class C or D schools have lots of open weight classes.

I dont know the exact stats but Kansas has 4 classes and has 1 million more poeple than NE
Rookie
I don't presume to have an answer but it seems to me that here we go again with trying to accomadate the bigger schools at the expense of the smaller schools.
Novice
I am and always will be a big advocate of less classes. I agree with Keiswetter that it is okay to have more schools in the lowest weight class because very few schools in class D have full teams, or even more than eight weight classes. You also can't expand A and B to make the lower class have less institutions due to team championship probability.
A few years ago, there were four four time state champions, now it seems that every yearsomeone is going for four. This is an indication of too many classes. This you might say is great for the student-athlete. I would have to disagree and say that most wrestlers going for four titles are looking to wrestle beyond high school, and Nebraska's state tournament structure makes these credentioals suspect.
Arena space concerns could be eliminated if we would eliminate wrestlers prior to districts. A sectional tournament would do this.
While were at it, which geniuss in the NSAA thought Nebraska needs 6 classes for volleyball, basketball, and football?
Rookie
Since Kansas was brought up as an example, let’s take a look at Kansas. For wrestling they have 4 classes. The large school class has 32 teams, just like Nebraska. The student enrollment in this class ranges from 1627 to 1000 students a difference of 627 students. Class A enrollment in Nebraska ranges from 1996 to 724, a difference of 1272 students. The second largest class in Kansas also has 32 teams in it with an enrollment that ranges from 995 to 522, a difference of 473 students. Class B in Nebraska has 48 teams with an enrollment range of 724 to 198, a difference of 526 students The third class in Kansas has 64 teams with an enrollment range of 511 to 206, a difference of 305 students. Class C in Nebraska also has 64 teams with an enrollment that ranges from 196 to 110, a difference of 86 students. The fourth class in Kansas takes in all of the rest of the school that have wrestling, just like Class D in Nebraska. Now what is the purpose of having more than one class in wrestling in the first place? It is to insure that schools competing for a state championship are competing against schools of similar size. The NSAA is trying to accomplish that. They are not trying to group schools according to how good they are and how competitive they will be. They are trying to achieve enrollment parity. Compared to Kansas, Nebraska is already at twice the enrollment differential in the top two classes. The demographics of the schools in Nebraska are not like other states so you can’t do a direct comparison. The number of schools in each class does not give a good indication of how many students that represents. There are a lot of small schools in Nebraska and very few large schools. As the classes are now, Class A already has over half of the states total enrollment for schools that have wrestling. The plans as discussed above would make it so Class A would have about ¾’s of the total enrollment of schools that have wrestling. If you are going to argue that school size does not matter then there should only be one class. The arguments on this thread are only trying to make one super class and then two or three watered down classes. Then there would be no argument about which class is the toughest. I think the main purpose behind this argument is to get Skutt into Class A so someone else can win Class B. If that is the case then try to talk Skutt into opting into Class A and then maybe everyone will be satisfied.
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
Yep, JO, you hit the nail on the head. I am against doing anything for just one sport. Here you are picking out wrestling and leaving everyone else out of the mix. If we are going to make a change.....let's do it for all the sports and not just one. The logic that was used in the proposal just doesn't hold any water. It was said that there was poor records in the class A wrestling tournament brackets as one of the reasons. Well, do the math on the teams that made the class A state playoffs in football...then do the math in wrestling.....Football was worse, but we don't even look at football. Why? Well the class B guys don't want to move up to face the Preps and the Millard Norths. In football everyone is accutely aware that a school with an enrollment of 2200 has a better chance than a school with an enrollment of 400. BUT throw that out the door with wrestling. Doesn't make sense. I am no actuary, but I did some numbers in past brackets. Most class A brackets have an average win record of 68% or better. In the other classes the win % varies from 69% to low 70's. This doesn't show me a huge disparity? In fact it probably fits a normal deviation if you take how many times class A teams wrestle each other.

If you are going to make a change, let's do it across the board and then let's get the NSAA to look at changing the way the classify. Let's not just single out wrestling so that Skutt ends up in class A.

As far as cutting classes. I am against cutting opportunities for kids. I like to create, not cut. If you read the recent articles written on the New York Web, they want a system like Nebraska and Kansas, and they don't want the system that is there now. THEY, the coaches, HATE the system there now. Check it out sometime.
Rookie
I have only one request if there is ever a change in the current structure and Nebraska goes to a three class system. I would hope that the NSAA would at least double the number of districts in each class or at least add sub-districts to insure all of the deserving wrestlers get the best opportunity to attend the state tournament and not be left out because their district has 6 state level wrestlers.

Iowa uses a sectional and district system. The two top wrestlers from each sectional (8-12 teams)advance to districts and the top two in each of the 8 districts then advance to the state tournament for their 16-man field.

While this, or any other system, would never eliminate the possiblity of leaving a state medalist at home, I believe you need expand the district qualifying options, if the number of teams expand in each class.
Novice
Picture of Kalhoun
I might add that Iowa's is very similar to Minnesota's... You also wrestle for a true second. Just because you made it to the finals is no guarantee you will qualify for the next round.

As far as changing the class structure for all sports... they are already different. Cozad, for example, played C-1 football, but is wrestling in Class B. They need to do whats best for wrestling, not trying to make it all the same for every sport. JMO Smile
Rookie
Everybody puts way too much emphasis on enrollment. Who would YOU rather wrestle, Omaha Northwest or Cozad? Is this topic just a discussion or is it really in the works?
Rookie
Since this is for wrestling only, they should look at competitiveness of the schools and their history. I'd vote for something like this
A - 42 teams down to Gretna
B - 54 teams down to Bishop Neuman
C - 52 teams down to Southwest
D - 71 teams down to Sioux County
State Qualifier
I went through the 2005 tournament program to determine how many wrestlers qualified for the state tournament with a losing record. Here's the breakdown:

A 27
B 9
C 4
D 9

I'm not saying that a wrestler with a losing record should not be allowed to compete in the state meet. Many times that wrestler is coming back from an injury, started the season with little or no experience and improved rapidly toward the end of the season, etc. But when 27 wrestlers qualify with losing records that tells me one of two things. 1. There are not enough teams in that class, or, 2. We are taking too many kids out of that class to state.
State Qualifier
I just went through the state tournament to check on how many wrestlers with a losing record won their first matches. Only one, a Class B wrestler, won in the first round. I also discovered that I had made 3 errors. There were 28 Class A wrestlers with losing records instead of the 27 that I reported earlier. There were 10 in B instead of the 9 that I reported earlier. There were 3 instead of 4 in Class C and 10 instead of 9 in D.

Here's my very unscientific analysis of these results. There are definitely too few teams in Class A. B may be borderline too few. C is probably all right with the number of teams. D is a different case. If there are 20 boys in school and the coach's contract states that he must let 10 skinny kids play basketball then he will have to have some open weights. So even though there may be enough teams in the district there may not be enough wrestlers in each weight to keep those losing records from qualifying.
Rookie
The number of schools in each class may not be the cause of the problem of kids with losing records making state. The fact that districts are not balanced with some being loaded and some being rather weak is the bigger problem. I'm no expert but it seems to me the state could award the four district sites before the season, then the first week of February use a scoring system to rate the teams and distribute them evenly between the four districts. Too often we see one district with 4 or 5 rated teams and another with one. I'm sure I'm overlooking something but I thought I would throw this out.

how bout we make one or classes...have it be a 32 man bracket and place the top 8? always an idea.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."