Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Forfeits Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
Checking the results page I see a lot of open weights for several school. Just wondering if this is because of the weight reduction plans that wrestlers now have to follow. Looks like competition is taking a backseat to new guidelines. Any comments!!!!!
Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
You're absolutely correct. It used to be you could be at 125, but weigh in at 130 and wrestle 135. This enabled schools to fill weight classes and give kids opportunities to compete. It takes away from our sport and ruins opportunities for kids and teams to improve.
Junior High
I agree with silverhawk.
You can still bump up, but you have to put a new descent plan in place.
We had our 103 weigh in as a 3 adn then bump up to 112. It put him at a disadvantage.
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
This new system isn't going to bode well for tournaments that are before Christmas. A lot of wrestlers won't be at their minimum weights until around Christmas, which will mean more open slots. It takes a lot of potential competition away.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I agree with slvrhawk that it takes away a few options/opportunities for a few kids. But I would also like to point out that a kid can be your 125lber weigh-in at 125.8 and still wrestle at 135. Do you have to go in and make a new decent plan? Yes, but he will be eligible for 125 the next week. If he weighs in at 127, he won't be eligible for 125 the next week. So now we have to monitor our kids weight carefully even if we are bumping them up! My 60 lber doesn't understand that he has to weigh 162.2 or less this week when he knows he is wrestling in the 171 division this weekend. Its a different train of thought this year, thats for certain!

Rick Henry

quote:
Originally posted by chiefstorm:
My 60 lber doesn't understand that he has to weigh 162.2 or less this week when he knows he is wrestling in the 171 division this weekend. Its a different train of thought this year, thats for certain!

Is that 162.2 weight according to his descent plan? If so, he doesn't have to hit that weight per se, he only has to wrestle 171 this weekend then will be eligible for 160 next week (if that is the weight class his descent plan allows).

Talked to Mr. Boysen personally on this one because we wondered the same thing. They do not have to weigh in at the weight on their descent plan, they only have to wrestle at the lowest weight class listed for that week.

Kind of flies in the face of the whole program but that is what I was told on Wednesday.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
this new rule will also bring the compition levels down at each weight making some weights easier to place in....i like the thought of it but it has way to many down falls..... it is hurting competition before christmas and it is bringing down Nebraska wrestling in my opinion....and seeing really good matches wont happen as often bc they wont be able to go to a different weight to challenge a kid
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
First I felt dumb and uninformed, then the emotion of anger passed, then digruntled head shaking, then true disappointment at a system I was trying hard to support. So my kid can weigh 170 on saturday and then weigh in at 160 the next tuesday? This makes no sense according to the literature and decent plan provisions. Isn't this type of weight loss what we were trying to stop? I'm going to let this settle in a little bit, and hear some opinions of others. Man, Man, Man, shaking my head here.

Rick Henry

Rookie
Sounds like a lot of people are frustrated with this thing. And then try to explain to the wrestlers why they can't wrestle where they should and all that hullabaloo. Matside weigh-ins, just like Huskerland. Might be the ticket.

quote:
First I felt dumb and uninformed, then the emotion of anger passed, then digruntled head shaking, then true disappointment at a system I was trying hard to support. So my kid can weigh 170 on saturday and then weigh in at 160 the next tuesday? This makes no sense according to the literature and decent plan provisions. Isn't this type of weight loss what we were trying to stop? I'm going to let this settle in a little bit, and hear some opinions of others. Man, Man, Man, shaking my head here.

I feel your pain...

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER

quote:

from what i understand if yer kid wrestles normally 160, but bumps to 171 and weighs in at 170lbs. he would have a new decention plan starting at 170 lbs. so i dont think he would be able to make 160 the next week unless he is like 30% body fat.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
I talked to Darin about this at length in an email. Here is the rule on the descent plan. As long as your kid wrestles at the minimum weight that he is given for that week, he doesn't have to start a new descent plan. His plan will tell him that he should be at 163.4, but he can weigh above that. He just can't weigh in anywhere above his minimum weight for that week.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
To start the year off Big Whitey, his minimum weight is 171, so he is at his minimum weight, so you don't have to have a new decent plan even if you weigh 170 and need to make 160 in four days. I think that was what RR was pointing out. I agree with your assessment after the minimum weight has gone down to 160, but RR has a point about not being at minimum weight yet. Get it? I don't fully, and it makes me somewhat .............. i don't know what the word is.

Rick Henry

Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
I have a question on descent plans. If I have a kid who is going to stay at a weight (lets say 145) above his lowest weight (Lets say 140). Do I have to go in each week he does not reach his weight on his plan and redo his decent plan?
Novice
Picture of ArmBar
My understanding is that a kid can only wrestle at the next weight class above what he's certified at; i.e. if he wrestles 2 weight classes above his cert weight then he loses his cert weight and is bumped up to the next weight class. Am I wrong here?
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
I have a couple of kids who are going to wrestle a weight class (actually 2 will be 2 weight classes)above their lowest weight class on their decent plan (can't be varsity)and are not following their decent plan at all. Do I have to go in and change the decent plans?
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
The old rule was: you could only weigh-in at your certification weight or the one above it without losing certification; but you could wrestle at 125, 130, or 135 as long as you never weighed more than 129.9 (before xmas). That was the old. I'm still figuring out the new.

Rick Henry

quote:
Originally posted by Cschumacher:
I have a question on descent plans. If I have a kid who is going to stay at a weight (lets say 145) above his lowest weight (Lets say 140). Do I have to go in each week he does not reach his weight on his plan and redo his decent plan?

That's a great question. There are probably many like him that aren't actually going to go to the minimum weight their descent plan will let them. It would be silly to have to go in and refigure a descent plan to a weight that he's not going to go.

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER

quote:
Originally posted by ArmBar:
My understanding is that a kid can only wrestle at the next weight class above what he's certified at; i.e. if he wrestles 2 weight classes above his cert weight then he loses his cert weight and is bumped up to the next weight class. Am I wrong here?

I think that's close but I think if he weighs in above the minimum weight class he is eligible for (descent plan says he can weigh 122.4 and wrestle at 125 or 130 but he weighs in above 125 then you have to recalculate the descent plan). If he's only going as low as 125 not a problem but if he has his sights set on 119 it might take a couple more weeks for him to get there.

I think...

-----------------
Photobucket

EISENHOWER
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
here is a quote from the guidelines: "participation in ANY weight class above the lowest eligible weight CLASSES for the week as defined by the weight loss program will REQUIRE the wrestler's coach to enter the weigh-in weight in the OPC on-line to create an ALpha Master FOrm (decent plan) for the remainder of the season. Coaches must keep a copy of both plans..........." So I think you are correct to assume you have to get new decent plans everytime for your kids two weight classes above their minimum weight, but you would not have to for the 145 kid that has a minimum of 140, because 140 and 145 are both on the sheet as eligible weight classes. This is MY interpretation. I have not had it officially approved as fact.......

Rick Henry