Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    UNO Hockey Coach Salary

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
UNO Hockey Coach Salary Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
posted   Report This Post  
Hadn't seen this mentioned before, maybe I missed it. Enough to gag a magot. $250K plus performance bonus.

http://myweb.unomaha.edu/~sast...eanBlaisContract.pdf
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
This is a guesstament of the UNO paid him this year. It was proably more. The entire staff make $470,000 not including his bonuses. Over $500,000 in saleries for the hockey team. In comparisson Judas Christensen makes $256,795

Base Salary: $250,000
1.5% of base for top 4 conference: $3750
1.5% of base for 55% winning percentage: $3750
1.5% of base for confernce semis: $3750
NCAA Qualifier: $5000
1% Team Community Sercvice Bonus: $2500
1% Speaking Engagment Bonus: $2500
Confernce Coach of the Year: $5000
Happy Hollow CC Membership $15,000
Car Allowance: $6000 (guessing $500mth)
Phone: $1200

Total: $294,700

43-7705-0500 Men's Athletics - Hockey
512100 Blais, Dean Charles Head Hockey Coach 63121 099208 12 1.000 250,000
513000 Fohr, Nicolas Allen Director of Hockey Operations 63608 242300 12 1.000 50,000
513000 Hastings, Michael E Associate Head Coach, Hockey 63297 374300 12 1.000 105,000
513000 T. B. A. Asst Coach - Hockey 63126 374300 12 1.000 65,000
SUBTOTAL 513000 Mgr/Professional Sal 3.000 220,000
TOTAL WAGES AND SALARIES 43-7705-0500 4.000 470,000

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BLASCHKO,
Rookie
Picture of Mustang Wrestler
quote:
Originally posted by outstatefan:
Hadn't seen this mentioned before, maybe I missed it. Enough to gag a magot.

Why do you say that?
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
It was reported earlier that Coach Denney's salary was 42-45K. A proven championship wrestling coach is paid 1/5th what a non-championship hockey coach is paid, I think not.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by outstatefan:
It was reported earlier that Coach Denney's salary was 42-45K. A proven championship wrestling coach is paid 1/5th what a non-championship hockey coach is paid, I think not.

Although being a proven champion should account for a larger salary in a specific sport, the two aren't really comparable. It's comparing two different sports that generate different revenue and have different market precedents for salary. It's like saying that a championship D1 bowling coach should make as much or more as an average D1 football coach (or any class really) simply because they have won. The two aren't really comparable. I'm no UNO hockey fan or historian but aren't they traditionally a top 10 program? Not being sarcastic, just trying to offer an objective view point.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool if Denney was paid more and even retained along with the wrestling program. But it really has no relevance when looking at the hockey coach's salary.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
UNO is not a traditional top 10 program. They have only made the NCAA Tournament twice. They are in the top 5 for attendance every year though. This is why wrestling and football fans need to boycott UNO Hockey.
Rookie
I must be missing something. Bring me up to speed. Why should we punish the hockey team because the wrestling and football teams got screwed? Is it possible that will bring back those sports? Did you also hope the Husker football team lost when Solich took a screwing? My father in law did but I was more concerned about the kids out there playing and there success than my disdain for the A.D. ...But it's no secret that I'm a bleeding heart can't we all just get along guy.
Novice
Judas Christiansen, I need to remember that one, too funny!
I think everyone can see the apples vs oranges argument, what seems so obvious is what the school is spending in all this. They made a case based on some financial reasons however how much will it cost:
to move divisions, to get out of conferences, travel for things such as baseball(since teams won't come here) and I'm sure UNO is going to be building or spending big $$$$ for a baseball stadium, not to mention legal bills for all this and for any that might be coming in the near future.
It would be interested to see what all of this is costing. Actual figures, not something out of the sky.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
Knightmare if you went to a restaurant or a store and you had a horrible experience on multiple ocassions do you go back? Or would you choose to spend your dollars elsewhere? If you kept going back spending your money there nothing would change. They would continue to give you lousey service or a lousey product. This is how business works and according to Trev college athletics is a business. By spending money at hockey games you are supporting the current regeime and their behaviors. You might as well have supported the decision to drop wreslting and football. You might as well had fired coach Denney yourself. Because by giving them money you are doing just that. Not going to hockey games is more than likely not going to hurt the players on the team. If it does so be it. DI Athletics is a meat market and that is what they signed up for. This is what UNO signed up for. This is not a bunch of high school kids participating in an extraciricular activity. What it will hurt is the athletic department and the university. Also hockey was as much about this decision as Husker Football. I almost guarantee you that Dean Blais and Mike Kemp were behind the scenes on this. Knightmare you can support UNO Hockey if you would like but remember by doing so you are lineing Trev and Judas' pcokets. If you want Trev and Judas gone skip the hockey games.
All it takes for eveil to prvail is for good men to do nothing.
quote:
Originally posted by knightmare:
I must be missing something. Bring me up to speed. Why should we punish the hockey team because the wrestling and football teams got screwed? Is it possible that will bring back those sports? Did you also hope the Husker football team lost when Solich took a screwing? My father in law did but I was more concerned about the kids out there playing and there success than my disdain for the A.D. ...But it's no secret that I'm a bleeding heart can't we all just get along guy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BLASCHKO,
Rookie
Picture of 189MOM
Really guys? Nothing is going to bring back football or wrestling. You have a great academic program that is being built in Omaha and you want to tear down the students and the sports that remain. It is time that you all recognize that Nebraska does not have the population to support major league pro sports teams, so having great college athletics is the state gives everyone something to cheer for. All of your pissing and moaning just makes you look petty and sad. Most people supported the expansion of UNO athletics. Coach Denney and his team have landed squarely on thier feet...they have moved on...I suggest you do the same...life is to short to worry about that which you can not change!
Rookie
Well said knightmare and 189MOM. If I remember, the D1 move was largely about baseball and basketball. If hockey was a headliner for the move as well I guess I missed it. But why punish other great student athletes because of what the AD did? You're not punishing the AD near as much as you're punishing the kids. And you're not lining Trev's pockets. His salary isn't directly dependent on hockey attendance. If hockey had been cut and wrestling retaiend, would you be ok the hockey fans saying we should boycott the wrestling team?

And BLASCHKO, Supporting the hockey team is the same as being responsible for firing coach Denney? Wow, that does not compute for me.
Novice
mom, u are right, what's done is done. If people want to boycott and not support UNO, that's their choice just like it may be yours to support them. For me, i checked out of being a Nebraska fan, I hope UNL wrestling much success but the rest, I hope they loose. I haven't lost any sleep over it, nor does it bother me.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by letsgo:
mom, u are right, what's done is done. If people want to boycott and not support UNO, that's their choice just like it may be yours to support them. For me, i checked out of being a Nebraska fan, I hope UNL wrestling much success but the rest, I hope they loose. I haven't lost any sleep over it, nor does it bother me.

Hope they lose? What did the tennis players, bowlers, and golfers do to make you "hope" they lose? Oh but the wrestling team who was equally responsible (absolutely not responsible) you still support?

Error, error, errrrrrrr.

To be clear, it is people's choice to boycott or support or simply not support. But hoping that someone loses because they are a different sport than your favorite (and mine) is pretty small of you. But that is YOUR choice.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
Stuff like this continues to happen unless as a wrestling community we take a stand against it. Mustang Wrestler and 189MOM if you want to be lay downs thats your business. Go to all of the Mav Stuff you want. That being said that as a wrestling community we cannot afford to be lay downs. Will boycotting hockey bring back UNO Wrestling? Proably not. However if enough people boycott hockey it will send a message to other universities that the wrestling comuunity cannot be treated this way. It will make other schools think twice before they throw wrestling out with the trash. The only way of doing that is by how we spend our dollars and how we choose to spend our time. As wrestlers we are a minority in the sporting world and we cannot move forward if we are weak and not willing to take a stand and make sacrifices.

I am a black and white person. I have an either you are with us or against us mentality. There is not middle ground for me. I do not have a bleeding heart for people on the team or at the university. I am a wreslting guy who wants to look out for the best interest of wrestlers and the community.
Novice
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang Wrestler:
quote:
Originally posted by letsgo:

Hope they lose? What did the tennis players, bowlers, and golfers do to make you "hope" they lose? Oh but the wrestling team who was equally responsible (absolutely not responsible) you still support?

Error, error, errrrrrrr.

To be clear, it is people's choice to boycott or support or simply not support. But hoping that someone loses because they are a different sport than your favorite (and mine) is pretty small of you. But that is YOUR choice.

....and that is why I and others that I know were happy when the mavs got knocked off by Michigan this year. Call it what you want but the University of Nebraska system left a bad taste in my mouth therefore I'll be rooting against them from this point forward, yes the entire system (less the wrestling team).
Junior High
Three things:
1. The attitude that whats done is done is just what they want. Soon it will all be forgotten and the heat will be off them. All they had to do was keep their mouth shut.
2. If we had known that the cuts were coming, we could have done something besides whine on a message board.
3. Quality college teams are all we can hope for...exact words of 189MOM....so we just cut the best team in this states history.