Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Scottsbluff Bearcat Tournament

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Scottsbluff Bearcat Tournament Login/Join

Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
posted   Report This Post  
We had 250+ come this weekend. We tried a split session with 6u and 8u doing takedown while the 10u-14u did freestyle in the morning and all ages did folkstyle in the afternoon. it went off well and we had decent numbers for having freestyle in a tournament. maybe this is a way to get freestyle to come back into nebraska. we had a good turnout of wyoming wrestlers because of the freestyle being added. we gave medals for each bracket and a t-shirt if you won both styles. started at 8 and were done by 4 with everyone getting a bunch of matches with 2 brackets.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Somehow, Freestyle/Greco has been lost in these parts. It is a shame because that is what I grew up on, that is what the WHOLE world wrestles. Maybe even why we are so far behind right now on the world level. Not saying that is the whole reason but it for sure doesnt help. Good to see Wyoming still at it (thats where i came from) I would like to see more teams around here become involved in it. I would be happy to coach my little kids at it. I think the benefits of learning how to use your hips in throws and lifts and always avoiding exposing your back at all costs pays off further down the road. not to mention, its a great way to stay involved in wrestling all summer long and compete at a very high level
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Cornfed,

That is a very cool idea to get freestyle back in the mix. This state has lost out on summer wrestling and freestyle interest. But I like the takedown session for the little guys...then the freestyle session and having a folkstyle tournament after the first to sessions. This is a very good idea to get a lot of matches and interest to a tournament. Be good if programs start to do get tourneys like this around the state!

Marcus Hellwege