Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Great Move Trev

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Great Move Trev Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
posted   Report This Post  
So, the Summit League was a great move for UNO, huh! Thanks again Trev for taking football and wrestling opportunities away from Nebraska kids.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...QAZC4SGM_story.htmlg
Junior High
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
you need to be rid of the q on the end of your link...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...IQAZC4SGM_story.html

nothing really earth shatterin there...ORU was happy there, just better fit, closer to home.
UNO will find out soon enough about travel costs.

got a thing in my email today about some UNO hockey bs, I emailed back
not even on your birthday.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
I think this is a big blow to the conference. In a conference built around basketball they had two legit teams Oakland and Oral Roberts. They could compete against the big boys and had serveral Major Conference matchups on their schedule. The rest of the teams have at best below average programs and are glorified DII Schools.
Junior High
I agree...but this is good for UNO, because now it's easier to get to the big dance.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
The Summit League automatic bid could be in jeopardy if there is any more movement. Lets say an Oakland decides to leave. The rules state that a conference must have 7 institutions that have been active in DI for 8 years. The Summit League will be left with 9 teams. USD and UNO have not been active in DI for 8 years. That leaves 7 teams. Oakland for example leaves they would lost their automatic bid. I am not sure how SDSU and NDSU will count this year since they joined DI in the fall of 2004. It is a long shot but we can always dream Smile

31.3.4.2 Requirements -- National Collegiate Championship.

To be eligible for automatic qualification in a National Collegiate Championship, a member conference must meet the following general requirements: (Adopted: 1/9/06 effective 8/1/06)

(a) Have at least six active members that sponsor the applicable sport in any division (Note: a provisional member in the process of becoming an NCAA member cannot be used to meet the requisite number);

(b) The six active members must have conducted conference competition together for the preceding two years in the applicable sport;

© There shall be no waivers of the two-year waiting period; and

(d) Any new member added to a conference that is eligible for an automatic bid shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifier.

31.3.4.3 Notification -- Automatic Qualification in Jeopardy.

A governing sports committee must issue a written warning one year in advance to a conference that is in jeopardy of losing its automatic qualification. (Note: This regulation does not apply to the following championships in which a play-in system has been established: baseball, women's softball, women's volleyball and men's soccer.) (Adopted: 10/3/06)

31.3.4.5 Additional Requirements, Men's Basketball.

The member conference must include seven core institutions. For the purposes of this legislation, core refers to an institution that has been an active member of Division I the eight preceding years. Further, the continuity-of-membership requirement shall be met only if a minimum of six core institutions have conducted conference competition together in Division I the preceding five years in men's basketball. There shall be no exception to the five-year waiting period. Any new member added to a member conference that satisfies these requirements shall be immediately eligible to represent the conference as the automatic qualifier. (Revised: 8/14/90, 12/3/90, 4/27/00, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04)
Junior High
Thanks for clarifying...I wasn't aware of that.
Now I see the signifance of what outstatefan was trying to point out!
Junior High
It was my understanding that we jumped aboard the summit league as quick as we did last year because there was one seat left and it was a once in life time opportunity to get into D1. Sounds like that train hasn't left the station yet!