Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    What about Basketball?

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What about Basketball? Login/Join

Novice
Picture of Red Dawg
posted   Report This Post  
Why does it appear that Wrestling butts heads with Basketball and not so much with other sports?

Is it because they compete in the same season thus compete for the athletes?

Is there just a complete and utter disdain between the 2 sports?

Is there a DNA problem that the 2 can't co-exist?

Question:
Which best describes you?

Choices:
Like Football, Wrestling, Baseball, Track Hate Basketball
I only like Wrestling, all other sports are for Wimps!
I like all sports just favor some slightly over the others.
I was too short for Basketball, had to Wrestle!
Basketball players are too soft and think they are SOOO great!

Rookie
Picture of warria_189
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
simply put
basketball players just need to learn when to shut up

Warrior: an image symbolizing one aspect of a great force, that if handeled properly, can win you many battles, but if neglected, can rise up and be your nemesis
-Bruce Lee
Junior High
We should be a little more sensitive towards basketball players. After all . . . they are disproportionately tall and probably really wish they were better proportioned like wrestlers.

And really . . . what is so manly about bouncing a ball and throwing it through a circle. How can that possibly compare to a combative sport like wrestling, boxing, karate, judo . . .?

There couldn’t be anything more opposite than a wrestler and a basketball player. And remember, low self-esteem usually leads to defensiveness. No wonder they don’t get along.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot 152:
We should be a little more sensitive towards basketball players. After all . . . they are disproportionately tall and probably really wish they were better proportioned like wrestlers.

We need to take into account that the air is a lot thinner "up there" -- not getting enough quality oxygen to the brain has been known to cause brain damage.

quote:
And really . . . what is so manly about bouncing a ball and throwing it through a circle. How can that possibly compare to a combative sport like wrestling, boxing, karate, judo . . .?

Slamming a defenseless, round orb through a netted cylinder is VERY manly...to them.

quote:
There couldn’t be anything more opposite than a wrestler and a basketball player. And remember, low self-esteem usually leads to defensiveness. No wonder they don’t get along.

To paraphrase an old saying...

Those who can, wrestle.
Those who can't, play basketball and wish they could wrestle.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Dang fellas. I thought I was the only one to feel this way. Maybe there is hope for me after all. At least, my sons and I are not alone in the world (just in my school).
However, be careful on slamming the tall guys - some of my best wrestlers have been between 5'10" and 6'1" - very tall by my standards. :-)

Interesting thread.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I remember the Coufal twins at Howells about a decade ago, and both were 6'4 and could dunk a basketball.

To the best of my knowledge, though, none of the Howells basketball players of that era could finish a single.

Rookie
Picture of 189MOM
Basketball is a great sport! The issue is with the little men of this world that think being tall is a problem. Big men can reach the mountain tops...little men just spend their life in the valley all the time!

Get a ladder and come on up here where the air is fresh and view is spectacular!
Rookie
Picture of warria_189
quote:
Originally posted by 189MOM:
Basketball is a great sport!

rotfl
oh thats a great joke!

Warrior: an image symbolizing one aspect of a great force, that if handeled properly, can win you many battles, but if neglected, can rise up and be your nemesis
-Bruce Lee
Rookie
Boils down to real estate. i.e. what's the best use of the school-gym floor.

Slightly separate line.....

I'd be curious if there's anyone in NE who's been good in BOTH sports having done both in different years in HS.
....even better, of anyone who wears a school jacket that shows both Basketball and Wrestling?

Hooah! popcorn
AB
World Champion
Picture of NWI
We had a kid in my class in high school who was a wrestler (don't remember if he qualified for state or not) who was a helluva basketball player. He was a real lanky kid and he could drill it from outside better than about anybody on the basketball team could. I hated having to guard him in pickup games in gym class, because he could hit from outside and drive the paint equally well.

Conversely, there wasn't a single guy on our basketball team who was willing to, or capable of, go on a mat for six minutes and get the crap beaten out of him. We had a couple of bruisers on the basketball team, but I can guarantee they wouldn't be seen anywhere near a wrestling mat unless there was a cheerleader sitting in the middle of it.

Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
Some of the better guys that I ever wrestled in my career were over 6 feet tall. And I wrestled at 158-165 in college. There are a lot of advantages to having that length. More tall kids need to figure that out.
Rookie
Picture of Hansen_Mustangs
When I was in high school we had a kid named by Ryan Molacek. Was a 2x qualifier his freshman and sophomore year. However after that went to basketball because he didn't like cutting weight for football and also didn't like that he puked each time before the match. He was also 6 foot or 6'1" and did pretty well at basketball too.

A tall kid thats done just fine in wresting would be Brandon Browne. State champ in high school and All American for the huskers. Tall guys get it done too.
State Champion
Picture of deano
going to the waaaay back machine Kent Lopez from Valentine played basketball for one year in high school otherwise would have been a four time placer. Also Amos Davis from Ainsworth was an awesome wrestler. Probably would have won state my frosh year but decided to play basketball for his last three. Went out for wrestling for one week his soph year to please his dad then went back to basketball
Novice
When my son was in junior high, he played basketball, along with all of the other wrestlers. There were 3 wrestlers and 2 "basketball" kids that started. One of the dad's asked if our wrestlers could play in some out of season tournaments, on his team. After we lost one of our games the dad said, "If our basketball players played as well as the wrestlers play, we would have a pretty good team." Most of the basketball players only wrestled for 1 year in junior high, but most of them did try it at least.
I think a lot of talented athletes could do or play anything that they set their minds to, but wrestler's are a special group. In our case, most of the boys in my sons class are wrestlers. Our wrestling team was state runner-ups. Our basketball team lost their first game at districts. Nuff said! Smile
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
About 6 or 7 years ago, I had a kid that went out for wrestling as a senior. The previous three years he played basketball and lettered. He was the second leading scorer his junior year at Deshler behind a college level player named Schoff. Anyway.....he had had enough of basketball, wanted to play fb in college, and knew he would have more luck at wrestling than bb after schoff graduated. He went to state in wrestling that year, albeit he got schooled by May in the first round. He beat two returning state qualifiers at districts to go to state and never regretted his decision. Jake Noojin was his name and I don't know if he made it through college or fb, but I do know wrestling made him a better athlete and a better person. It should be pointed out he was a good junior high wrestler in Fairbury.

My rule has always been 40, 40, 10, 10....40percent are bb players, 40percent are wrestlers, 10% can do either and be very successful, and 10% can't do either.

Rick Henry