Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Funniest Thing to happen in a match
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Funniest Thing to happen in a match Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of luigi
posted   Report This Post  
I thought I'd start this topic to add a little humor to maybe spice some things up on this site.

The funniest thing I've ever seen happen during a wrestling match would have to be a match between two heavyweights. It was an intense match and it went back and forth until late in the third period. One of the heavyweights took down his opponent for a one point lead with only three seconds remaining in the match. In a desperation act the man on bottom tried the worst gramby I'd ever seen performed and simply ended up tucking his head under him for a pin with one second remaining in the match. This single act I believe turned a great match into a "Ripley's believe it or not act."

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Probably not funny to this person but...

1993 Class B State Finals-Ben Frye of Waverly vs Ron Hodges of Beatrice. With just seconds left in the match, Frye thinks time has run out and he's won the state title. He jumps up and starts holding up one finger for numero uno. I believe Hodges was down by a point and so with the escape the match goes into OT. Frye then gets taken down and loses the state championship. It could also have been that Frye let him up and started celebrating and was taken down and forced the match into OT.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Lance Stallion
One funny moment was watching Tim Wurdinger win state a few years ago and "attempt" a backflip after the match. He'd worked so hard on it all season too...
World Champion
Picture of NWI
...which makes you wonder just how much money ol' Timmy was slippin' the Russian judge to begin with.

That WAS hilarious, Lance...and the thing about Tim's win that I'll always remember is what he told me the year BEFORE he won it...he came up to me in the bowels of Devaney and TOLD me, right there, that he was coming back next year and was going to win the state title.
Novice
HB, I believe that he was down by 1 and the when the kid started jumping up and down he got the escape. I was still kind of young then and never really thought about how crazy that situation would be to loose a state championship.

[This message was edited by ipinem on January 16, 2004 at 10:11 AM.]
<Horacek>
I remember that match. I do not think it was an escape. I am pretty sure it was a stalling point. Frye was celebrating (finger in the air after they went out of bounds) with time left on the clock. They were on their feet and Frye had just been dinged 1 pt for stalling shortly before (I think quite possibly right before he put his fingers in the air). They went back to the middle and he went striaght backward, got dinged again and gave up a TD early in the overtime.
<VoiceofReason>
I was wrestling at the University of Northern Iowa Open a number of years ago when a wrestler from another team actually had a bowel movement while he was wrestling. Turns out the kid had been taking laxatives for three days straight in order to make weight.
<Take Down>
a 215 match the towl boy ran out to tag the ref and his pants fel down to his ankles and he tripped face plant with his boxers with harts on them showing to the audience that was funny
<Fan4Life>
This was not really funny at the time, but it certainly became more humorous as time passed. I doubt if the "victim" ever found it funny at all.

8th grade match of heavy weights - you all know how bad their singlets are after being handed down from varsity to jv etc... anyway it was very stretched out and baggy. The victim gets put in a cradle, the ref is in position to call the pin (out of position to know what else was happening) - the poor guy winds up with his "package" hanging out fully exposed facing the crowd. Most of us moms turned our heads. I've never felt more sorry for a kid in my life. I have to say I am more impressed by him than many I've watched - I thought he would wind up quitting after that. He continued to wrestle all through high school. My hat is off to him!!! I'll never forget that but I wouldn't want to see it again!!
<Guest>
The 152 pounder was getting ready to wrestle, he was walking back and forth staring the other wrestler down, he went to check in at the table and then started circling the mat making the scariest and meanest face I've ever seen, all of a sudden he tripped on a piece of the mat that wasn't taped down, the whole place exploded inlaughter including the two benches. The opponate couldn't keep from laughing and ended up losing the match because he was laughing so hard.
<Pirate>
I am glad you started this topic. I just had a good laugh remembering this.

I had a kid at districts that was on the bottom. He did a stand-up and the top man was driving him out of bounds. Just before he went out of bound my kid hit a switch to the right so the top man was flying out of bounds to my kids left. The ref was running from behind the kids on the right side of my kid. My kid acted on reflex and hit a double on the ref. He stopped before he put him to the mat but things were locked and he was in good position. The funny thing was that this particular kid only shot about 2 times all season. He was much better at defense and cradling kids when they shot in. Great memory.
Junior High
Picture of Vegas Kid
I had a kid go out with his singlet on backwards.
Fortunately it was for a forfeit.

One on myself...last year I went to sit on a folding chair at the Auburn Invite BAM front legs went forward and back legs went backward. It gave quite a few people a good laugh.
<JAW>
During the face-off against Holyoke, Co. or Ogallala I turned around after shaking my opponents hand and walked back into the line and I tripped on the "imaginary" line and planted myself in front of the crowd. I never heard the end of that one.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Here's one Sen. Ray Mossey told me about something that happened back when he was wrestling. Now understand that who is pinning who is in question, if for no other reason than because he's a politician -- a good guy, but still a politician, so take it for what it's worth...

As he tells it, Mossey is wrestling a guy and has pinned him. As they shake hands, the opponent asks him if he saw the sign on the ceiling. Obviously, since he was the one doing the pinning he had no idea what sign the guy was talking about, so he looked up at the ceiling and saw the sign:

"If you can read this, you're being pinned."
<Guest>
Last year the St. Pats coach did one of his famous "lets check if the score is correct" conferences with the officials. The score was correct, not in his kids favor, and he stormed to his corner of the mat. He stood there, glared at the ref and went to sit down in his folding chair. You guessed it, the chair must have moved, because he completely missed it and sat down hard on the mat. The funniest thing was his reaction though. He calmly stood up, picked up his folding chair, walked to the gym door leading outside and hurled the chair as far as he could. He then shut the door, walked back to the mat and resumed coaching like nothing had happened. If I had a video camera, I would be $10,000 richer! Big Grin
Novice
In the mid/early 90's Lincoln High had a sign like that up on the ceiling. I believe it was "you are now being pinned by a link."
<gocke>
171 pounder in the finals at schuyler...wrestles for a few seconds...tells the ref...i gotta go...ref says you got 2 minutes...BOOM sprints out of the arena leaping over tall buildings etc...then makes it back in time and pins the kid at :30 of the first period.

I was coaching at state, our kid gets the other in a cradle, i jump up all excited and yell squeeze as I squat a little...pants split about 2 feet...had to wear one of kids warm up pants the rest of the session
<Guest>
Last weekend at the UNO Open, an easy to spot mismatch was being wrestled. The much better of the two wrestlers was being overly agressive and the ref set him straight before the match continued. After an easy takedown and cutting him loose, the better wrestler got on the other kids legs and tried to finish an agressive sloppy takedown while rolling to his back. You guessed it, the overmatched wrestler fell on top of him and pinned him. A real crowd pleaser..... Sort of like King Kong being pinned by Tiny Tim.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
Speaking of funny, I do have pictures of you coaching at home...some look quite odd.
Funniest thing I have every seen was at the Stanton/BC/Planview triangular in Stanton my freshmen year. Jeff Thelen was wrestling from Stanton and took a shot in the junk. He began running circles on the mat holding himself and screamed "OOOHHHH FFFFFFFFFFFFFRUIT!!!!".

To be the best, you have to beat the best.
<Guest>
A couple of Bridgeport wrestlers seemingly battled each other every week to see who could gain (then lose) the most weight between weekend tourneys. One of them was in a surprisingly difficult first-round match. His opponent gave him a tight-waist in the 3rd period and the BPort wrestler puked his strawberry milk (which he had inhaled minutes before) all over the guy. Needless to say, the opposing coach refused to shake his hand (which was apparently still covered with puke) after the match... sick!!