Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    disappointing news

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
disappointing news Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
I was informed today that the school board of Heartland Lutheran High School has decided to terminate the wrestling program. We just finished our third season. I just wanted to thank anyone who helped us out in any way shape or form.
In Him,
Coach Blake
Junior Varsity
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Sorry to hear that coach. It's a shame they don't see the need.
Rookie
Sorry coach. I hope it was for a better reason than a lack of support. I'm praying we can pass a levy over ride so we don't suffer the same fate. Wrestling at O-C isn't the first on the chopping block but this is a basketball town.
Rookie
Coach, that is so terrible on the schools behalf, but more importantly your wrestlers. Is there anything we can do?
Rookie
Unfortuately it mostly is due to lack of support. The board also said that we were too expensive. The last two years, we felt like we were tolerated, not supported. They said that maybe some day they would consider bringing it back, but that doesnt mean much to the kids left hanging.
Rookie
Picture of abcoach
I don't know if this information will do anything to change your situation, but it maybe worth running by your school board. We are a self-supporting program by hosting a youth tournament and summer camp each year. With what we make from those two events (and the small amount we take from concessions and gate at home tournaments/duals), we actually end up making a few dollars. It's worth throwing back at them if you have the ability to put these events on to keep the program going.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: abcoach,
Rookie
I knew those would help but I didnt know that you could get enough to be self-supporting. I will have to rework some estimates.
I just needed about one more year. We were setting up a home tourney for the 2011-2012 season and I was starting to work with Trinity Lutheran School to start a youth program. It was in the works, just needed a little more time. I am still planning on trying to get the youth program up and running.
Rookie
Hope you get things going again. Let me know if there is anything Huskerland can do to help.
Rookie
What about co-oping wrestling with another school? You could prorate the costs of the program with the number of wrestlers you have.
Novice
doing a tournament can go a long ways towards paying for your season.

The midwest classic at UNK did a lot for our program there.

When I was in club wrestling at Fremont, we did a tournament and sold some raffle tickets at the tournament. That would provide enough money for our program to pay for every kids wrestling tournament entry fee from december through April. We had around 70-80 kids I'd say too.

It is sad that in the sport of wrestling we have to pay to play unlike other sports. Ultimately though, we aren't entitled to the opportunity to wrestle. Therefore, we should appriciate the ones we have and do what is neccassary to gaurd them.

There are a lot of ways to financially support your program, espeacially when you already have a room, mats, and uniforms. The only cost is the coach's salary, bus driver, gas money, and state room and board.