Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Grade the Qwest
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Grade the Qwest Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
i thought a main reason for moving to omaha was it was a bigger floor. many kids were being tossed into the tables on all sides of the mats, on the ends too, where the refs and trainers were sitting. with the barricades set up they effectively made the wrestling area the same as devaney. Eek

also, the whole environment is too sterile! no banners, signs, etc. come on, these are for the boys. and the commercials during matches, even finals matches. too corporate. tantrum
Novice
quote:
Originally posted by NWI:
(It should be noted that this is my first official complaint about the DISTANCE those in western Nebraska have to drive for state wrestling. After putting 800 miles on my vehicle this past weekend, I am now firmly on the side of those in the western part of the state on this issue, which is moving it to the center of the state.)

Careful Mikey, you'll soon be a 'card carrying' Westerner! Roll Eyes
Rookie
Exactly correct handyman! The largest complaints about Devany was the lack of floor space on the perimeter (mainly the ends) of the mats. There are also some blind spots as a spectator. I competed in the state tourney 4 years at Devany, coached 2 years at Devany and just completed we just finished our 4th year coaching at the Qwest. The extra seating for coaches and wrestlers is very nice at the Qwest, but the Qwest pales in comparison to Devany for having that "buzz" or electric atmosphere and excitement. Has anyone been in the upper bowl of the Qwest? you are so far up that it's hard to appreciate the fine details of the sport and the view / height makes me dizzy. Omaha and Lincoln are both great host cities buy I vote to go back to Devany!
Rookie
Turk,
We were in the upper bowl 3 years and finally made it to the bottom bowl this year. The Qwest is excellent in the bottom bowl and sucks if you are in the upper bowl.

I did notice more incidences of boys running into tables and barricades this year. They will need to correct.
Novice
Picture of 3/4 Nelson
The Qwest Nazis at that entrances to the building were not as bad as last year at least........took coffee and water from the wife last year, that was not too nice!

Seems to me that that NSAA and Qwest officials like to blame each other about issues and make it a revolving door. Maybe if they quit spending so much money on all the extra "guards" on the floor and NSAA jackets that are still sitting in boxes maybe they could get back to the wrestling on the mats.......but such it is in business........great. Or trade in the extra attire and give the coaches a lunch or two!

"Defeat is not getting back up"
World Champion
Picture of NWI
This was probably the best year, from a media perspective, that we've had at Qwest. Results came in a timely manner, floor access was not a problem (for the most part) and there were a lot of great stories that we were able to follow with limited interruption. And the guy running the elevator kept things moving along, which was a bonus for those of us who were multi-tasking between print and broadcast.

I'd give it a B-plus.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior High
Facility A-

Location C-

The tournament should be held in GI(not Lincoln)- seriously. It is currently too far from demographic center of high-school wrestling fan base.
Novice
Picture of Coach B
Actually, according to the 2000 census, the center of Nebraska's population lies about 10 miles south of Columbus.

My experience was better this year as my seat was not in the dark, nose-bleed section.
Junior High
How far would that center be from GI or Kearney?

Of course, I base my position upon the assumption that driving distance is the major problem. If not, then leave it in the Qwest.
State Qualifier
It has moved then, since it used to be Pilger. What has caused the migration?
Novice
Kearney 5 hrs., Grand Island 6 hrs., Lincoln 7 hrs., or Omaha 8 hrs., we still have to leave on Wednesday, and get back late Saturday or stay somewhere until Sunday and come home. It makes a long trip. The weather was pretty good this year so it wasn't that bad. We plan for it all season so therefore making the "TRIP" is just the Final reward of a great season. And oh by the way I would give the Qwest a B+.
Junior High
Debo's Mom is so uplifting that she makes me retract all my prior statements on this thread.

Love that Qwest.
Novice
Hey you guys wanted some positive posts. SmileI haven't been to the Devaney center since 1979, and I kind of forgot what the atmosphere was like. I only have the last 3 years to go by at the Qwest. Except for the traffic, and the seats that my husband hates, we had a good time. I am not a regular State attendee, (as my 2 older boys never qualified) but the last few years have been great, and hopefully next year will be too! I know the venue is not going to change before our son graduates, so we are going to make the best with what we have got. Good Luck to everyone! oops there I go again being positive. Wink
Rookie
I would love for it to move to GI or Kearney sleep at home in my bed ya that would be great. Kids could to then I would know they were getting a good nights sleep although that would kind of take away from the big trip to state for them. Guess I don't have to worry about that though beings it will not happen why they are still in school just as debo's mom said. Wink But at the Qwest center this year it did seem to be a little better. I have never had to sit in the nose bleed seats and pray I never have to. I think you can see all the mats better and it makes it easier to watch the great wrestling going on no matter what mat you are watching. It has room for us to get more people to watch our great sport and I think it seemed to have more people there this year then last but I am just guessing on that. I am going to say I would give it a B+ this year. Hope everyone is have a great week. But are your kids eating you out of house and home? Cuz mine are! popcorn
Rookie
Picture of Back to Back
I thought the athletic staff was good, it's not like they were a bunch of high school trainers (no offense) I would also grade it a B+ however.
State Qualifier
I'm always a little confused when I hear complaints about how we should have bigger crowds at state AND how everyone there should be able to sit within 15 feet of the mats. I hope an architect will come on and tell us how to design a building like that.
Rookie
hey frank that would be cool if we could all sit close to the mats. Never going to happen but would be great.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
I'm always a little confused when I hear complaints about how we should have bigger crowds at state AND how everyone there should be able to sit within 15 feet of the mats. I hope an architect will come on and tell us how to design a building like that.

My seats are pretty good. Smile
Rookie
we had box seats and they were GREAT!
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
quote:
Originally posted by Badger:
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:

My seats are pretty good. Smile

Badger sometimes our seats are good, but sometimes I would just as soon watch the match up in the nosebleeds Big Grin