Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Morrill-Mitchell

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Morrill-Mitchell Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Report This Post  
I hear the two schools will be consolidating next year, which will put them into Class B. That also would likely push Central City down to C.

I'd expect more of this type of thing going forward.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
what was that I heard? giant sigh of relief coming out of Omaha? potstir
Junior High
Anyone have solid proof these schools are going together?

Relentless

World Champion
Picture of HB
That was the word out of RMN this weekend.
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
i was told the students were informed last week.
State Qualifier
So are they going to be the Morchell Ligers now?

World Champion
Picture of HB
Maybe Mitchell-Morrill.

Maybe Western Scottsbluff Consolidated High School (WSCHS) Smile
Novice
Very sad news if this is true Frown
Junior High
quote:
Originally posted by rasslin'dad:
what was that I heard? giant sigh of relief coming out of Omaha? potstir

If this is true, that's too bad. It would've been fun to watch Skutt and CC tangle again and see if CC's hold on the Class B title was simply a rental.
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
I don't know for sure what I do know is that the 2 boards had discussed this option due to the financial situation and school funding issues. From what I understand they wanted to keep the options open I do commend their boards for having the foresight to keep their respective districts and students in their foresight however I as well hope this isn't true.

Regardless of what the story is out of the western part of the state the fact is that if it is true they are probably the first of many districts going to have to face difficult decisions in regards to their respective districts.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I've been saying this for a number of years now, but we are getting to the point where, economics being what they are and with the technology available, consolidation of school districts is going to become a necessary evil.

There are already a number of school districts in this state who are operating above the state levy limits, and are doing so only because voters in their respective districts are allowing them to override the levy limit. There is going to come a time when landowners in those districts are going to be forced to start saying no and those districts will either have to cut back severely (eliminating such things as wrestling programs) or be forced to merge with neighboring districts (which will be REALLY interesting out west).

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray

World Champion
Picture of HB
Also, unless Omaha and Lincoln are adding new schools to counter-balance the other schools consolidating, you're going to start losing teams at the Class D level.

The NSAA is well aware of the numbers disparity between the schools outside of Omaha, Lincoln and Grand Island, and the rural state. Angele said they are going to have to address this at some point in terms of how it affects competition.
Novice
I heard today that a small class C school might be losing their wrestling program. The reason given was budget cuts. It seems to be funny that they are getting a new school built. We really need to beat the halls to find and try to keep all the kids that we can and fundraise so you are self supporting. We need to run our programs like a business. I know there are people reading this that are thinking that I am not going to do that because the other programs don't have to. I am just saying we need to take the decisions out of the hands of those that are in charge. I think consolidations and coops are better than losing the program altogether.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
Sargent and Burwell cooped in wrestling starting the 05-06 season. It is the best thing we ever did and during our 1st six years we have had 5 top 10 team finishes, 5 individual champs, 6 individual runner-ups and 20 total state medallist. Neither Sargent or Burwell would have had that kind of success on our own and if anyone knows who we are our fans have meshed and anytime one of our wrestlers wins in a major tournament you can hear the saying HORNDOGS come out of our section. Next year Sargent and Loup County are Cooping in all sports except football (2 year rule) and we are planning on adding them into our wrestling coop if all of the school boards approve it. I accept consolodations as long as each town gets something out of it, otherwise your town dries up even more than it already is. I know if Mitchell and Morrill do there consolodation next year and Central City drops to C it makes my life that much tougher, but that is what we are trying to teach our wrestlers anyway get tough or get out.