Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Another DI Trivia Question
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Another DI Trivia Question Login/Join

Novice
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Right behind you Frank. Just hobbling along, hoping to live out my golden years. Yeah right! They lied.
Novice
I was thinking the same thing. Hey, great minds... But, I didn't want to shift the focus of this thread from DI. But it does put a little shine on Dlagnev's season, doesn't it.

Back on task, I've been combing the college web sites in my spare time (Okay, I'm easily distracted) and I can't find any DI national champions from Nevada, Mississipi, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia, Rhode Island, District of Columbia, New Hampshire (that's no surprise, their all political science majors), Maine, Alaska or Georgia. But, as Dennis Miller might say, "I could be wrong."
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerlock:
Idaho - Jake Rosholt, Okie St.

Japen - Yojiro Uetake, Okie St.

Wisconsin - Ben Askren, Missouri

Oregon - Les Gutches, Oregon St?

UNO fans may remember another Oregon State national champ who was an assistant coach at UNO mid to late 70's. He will be taking his team to the DI nationals later this week. Hint: His team and Wyoming are the only teams I can think of that wear brown uniforms.

OOPS. I just thought of another one. Brown University wears brown and red uniforms.

I just realized that I had left this question unanswered. Greg Strobel was a nat'l champ at Oregon State. He has been at several colleges and clubs since leaving UNO. He's tne head whistle at Lehigh now.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerlock:
Idaho - Jake Rosholt, Okie St.

Japen - Yojiro Uetake, Okie St.

Wisconsin - Ben Askren, Missouri

Oregon - Les Gutches, Oregon St?

Hammerlock,

You are either an old duffer like me or a historian if you remember Uetake. But he wasn't the first wrestler from Japan to win the nationals for Okie State. In 1962 Masaaka Hatta beat my college roommate, Frank Freeman, 7-4 in the championship match at Stillwater, OK. Hatta's dad was the head of the amateur wrestling federation in Japan and Myron Roderick, coach at Okie St. had met him in international competition. Roderick recruited Hatta and then Hatta's younger brother, who placed but never won the nationals. I think Uetake was third and then I believe there was another placer before the well dried up. Maybe the scorekeeper at OSU who knew how to run an abacus retired and nobody could teach his replacement.