Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Tell me again...

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Tell me again... Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Why the State Tournament can't be set up like this?

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Red, maybe I am missing something but I think that this photo looks very similar to the state tournament. 8 mats with tables on the outer edge of the mats. Is it the set up of the walkways and lack of fencing to keep coaches at bay?

That is the setup from the Qwest Center Omaha for the DI tournament that starts today. Shows what can be done with 8 mats on the floor at the Qwest!

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
BTW those arent dollimor mats, those are three piece resilites, which means more mat.
Rookie
Having been to the last 28 NCAA Division I Championships and having worked in arena management for five years I can tell you its apples to oranges.

Average ticket price for NCAA this year is above $140.00 - and that is not the same price we paid for State. Attendance for this week will top 96,000 just a few more bodies than were at state wrestling.

If people are willing to spend the extra money to remove seats, remove the hockey set-up and not share the facility with a basketball game it can be done. The state has a three day rental and the NCAA requires a full five day rental be included in their bids. The costs of renting the arena for an extra two days for set-up will nearly double the rental cost to the NSAA.

Based upon the complaints of people over prices today I doubt it anyone is willing to pony up the extra cost.
Junior Varsity
Wait, are those the all mighty special reserved Creighton seats that are always covered with plastic during our tourney...Are they being left uncovered so people can actually sit in them? Eek
Junior Varsity
I forgot, the dollar drives everything, it's not about the kids anymore.
Rookie
The covered seats are removed for this event that is where press row is this week.

I am sure the NSAA will accept any donations if people are willing to pay for the set-up change cost.
Junior High
Neb.state tourny would look like this too if those darn Dippin' Dots weren't so expensive.
Novice
Picture of Blue
Or if they brought back the $1.00 malt cups.

I'm your boy!!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Press row is on the opposite side of the arena from where the covered seats are. Rocker and I (among others) were sitting about 7-8 rows up from where those seats would be.

The press row setup would be great, especially if it would allow photographers to shoot over the scorer tables and coaches corners. Problem is if somebody had a wrestler on the opposite side, they would need a bigger lens than some papers carry to get anything decent in the way of a photo.

I like the setup, but as just-a-fan said it would cost the NSAA more money, and heaven forbid if they would spend more money to make a tournament better than "the way we've always done it."

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
omg
would u look at that banners in quest. now just think how it would look with all the highschool signs and banners. it might start to looking inviting or like state wrestling should!
Novice
Picture of bccdavid
I understand the dollars issue, so let's not got there, but let's tak about things that the NSAA could do:
1. I like the scoring display in the middle.
2. The red/green rugs under the coaches chairs.

Little things that don't cost any extra.
Rookie
I think the NSAA should set up the score clocks like they do for this.

It would be great to have the clocks in the middle and not on the outside.

How many times I had a hard to time seeing the score for certain matches and I was in the lower bowl.

On the other hand, It might impede the view for other matches.
Junior Varsity
I like the scored clocks in the middle too, however, it's not going to be possible (I don't think) with the size of mats we use. Less room in the middle.
Rookie
Blue, you must not have been to the Devaney lately. Those malt cups are actually $2.50, with a drink being $3.00 and a slice of pizza at $4.00. By comparison the Qwest is about $3.50 for that same drink and $4.50 for a slice of pizza.

Red Rocker it really does not matter what side the hockey seats and press row are on, the NCAA could easily change sides and the mats would still be set up the same.

The Banners, I am sorry but if you notice they fit with the entire NCAA theme throughout the ENTIRE building, I am sure if the NSAA forked out that type of money and wanted to put their own NSAA banners, but the fact you want to put up individual is still going to be against their policy.

The clocks would be hard since the size of the mats is so small.

It has been said before, if you want something like the NCAA's, be willing to fork out the money like the NCAA.
Rookie
Picture of shawnglobe
Just so you all know which was kinda of a shock to me The NSAA does not pay rent on the qwest center for the state wrestling tournament. Before you go off and tell me i am full of i heard it right from the sorce that pays the tab. NSAA gets all the money from the Gate. Now thats crazy!!!