Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    battle creek

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
battle creek Login/Join

<Guest>
posted   Report This Post  
does anybody have results from battle creek
<Guest>
especially bo's and casey's match
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Winside 178
Stanton 145
Randolph 109
Osmond 105
Pierce 84.5
Scribner-Snyder 71
Elkhorn Valley 62.5
Oakland-Craig 53
Wakefiel;d 37
Battle Creek 16
Team JV 16
Hartington CC 3

Robinson Rand 13-2 Leicey Win
Armour Osm pin Carnes EV
Henderson Wak pin Jansen Pierce
Zabourek SS pin Sonnenfelt EV
Dennis Osm Forf Thies Win
Paulsen Pie Pin Droesher OC
Jacobsen OC 2-0 Sok Win
Hammond Ran pin Frinkral BC
McCart Sta 9-2 Brummels Win
Saub Win JV pin Baber Pie
Gubbels Ran 3-1 Brummels Win
Hart EV 1-0 Jacobi Osm
Schumacher Ran 7-1 Hansen Stan
Van Fleet Osm 16-13 Dvorak Pie
Johsen EV 20-4 Whalen Ran
Wurdinger Stan pin Morris Win
Bowers Win 6-4 Schwartz Stan
Stussie Pie pin Frizzel SS
Holdorf Win 8-5 Vinson Osm
Schwartz Stan 5-2 Olson Rand
Price Pie 11-8Friedrich Osm
Molacek Stan 10-4 Mozer EV
Schernikau OC 13-3 Frizzell SS
Nickolite Stan Pin Schmit Osm
Roberts Win 5-2 Leapley Stan
Frizzell SS 11-9 Friedrich Osm
Lange Wins pin Schulenberg SS
Hekrdle Stan pin Storm Wak

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cschumacher,
<Guest>
how many guys does EV have out
<Guest>
nice win for Schumacher @140 what is his record? Only loss I can remember is Pope Johns Gossman and it was close.
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
Kenny is now 17-2. Loss to McManigal from Creighton 9-2 at the first tourney of the year and Gossman from EPJ 6-7.

I don't know how many EV has out but they filled 10 weight classes at BC.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cschumacher,
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
For a tournament that didn't get much talk, there was sure a lot of great wrestling. Anytime northeast Nebraska teams clash it is always a good tournament. A lot of people figured Winside was going to run away with this tournment, but Stanton's nine wrestlers gave them a good run. Even with 5 open weights Stanton still managed 145 points placing all nine of its wrestlers.

103 and 112
Not much to say here except each weight only had 4 wrestlers in it. Each weight was pretty much controled by one wrestler.

Was looking foward to the Dennis and Theis match-up but it didn't happen due to Theis pulling a muscle during a pin in the semi's. He was holding his hip and limping pretty good coming off the mat, didn't look serious though.

Jacobsen looked tough even being at 125. This kid can get it done at either 125 or 119, it's up to him to decide where he wants to be the rest of the season. I'd say for the most part Jacobsen had the upper hand in this match but I can't take anything from Sok, he wrestled a very well match and had many chances to tie it up. Not for sure where Matt's 2 points came from, I was watcing the Hammond and Frinkral match the most of the time and then the McCart Brummles match was right after that. Finkral, usually a tough competitor, wasn't on his A game at Battle Creek, but with his ability, he will bounce back just fine.

McCart won this tournament with very little trouble. Brummles gave him a good run in the first, but after that McCart controled the rest of the match. The best match in this bracket came in the semi's between Brummles and Staub, both of Winside. Staub, coming in as the unattatched wrestler, lost by like only 1 or 2 points in a very very close match. Staub's only problem, no room in the line-up for him, Thies 119, Sok 125, J. Brummles 130, B. Brummles 135. I bet that is one heck of a wrestle off in the Winside wrestling room. Brummles is a young wrestler with a lot of potential. I've been watching him for many years (like I have many of these Northeast Nebraska wrestlers) and he is going to be very tough the rest of his high school career.

Gubbles vs. Brummles. Not as good as the first two from what I have heard from the other two. Gubbles scored his three points from an escape and a takedown, I don't remember when the takedown happened but it was after the escape in the second. It was 0-0 after the first. Gubbles chooses down in the second and gets the escape. Then I think he scored the takedown in the second. I do believe Brummles chose bottom in the third with the score 3-0. Gubbles recieved two stalling calls making it 3-1 with under :30 seconds left. Brummles made a great effort for the reversal but Casey held on for the win. A though wrestler that may be overlooked in this bracket is Hart of EV. He gave Casey a good match for the first period. If he throws a few more moves into his arsenal and tweek the moves he already knows, he's a state placer.

Schumacher looked very tough in this tournament. Was hoping for a closer match between him and Hansen. Hansen looked good all day and then it looked like he just couldn't get going in the finals match. If both of these kids show up with their A game, it will be a very close back and forth match that will be decided at the last second. Both of these kids definately have the talent for a state medal. I was able to catch the Van Fleet vs. Dvorak match. A lot of offence and scrambles. If either of these two catch a top wrestler in a scramble, hold your breathe cause both of these wrestlers can make the most of a scramble.

Not for sure what happened at this weight. I was looking for two close matches in the semis and two close matches for 1st and 3rd. Johnson, Whalen, and Wurdinger will all meet up at districts along with Jensen (Wisner-Pilger) and Hergot (Norfolk Catholic). All five of these wrestlers can beat each other on any given day, but one of them is going to come up a match short of state. This is the way I see 145 this year, you have Degenhart (sp?) as number one. The you have a toss up for 2nd. People will argue that Granger is second, but he has been close to losing to a few of the above mentioned names. Basically I think there is about eight kids that could be in the finals against Degenhart unless he gets upset and five of them will be at Oakland to try and make it to state. Whalen picked up an early pin on Wurdinger in the semi's and Johnsen got an early one on Morris. Whalen and Wurdinger would have been a good match until Whalen got Wurdnger in a cradle on the edge of the mat and showed good mat position by getting Kenny back on the mat while still holding the cradle. In the finals, Johnsen didn't really give Whalen a chance, I was expecting a 1-2 point match. Same goes for Wurdinger and Morris. I was expecting a close one here, kenny got the takedown. Morris was trying to get away and Kenny showed some great concentration and feel for his oppenent and as Morris went for the reversal by stepping over to put the legs in, Kenny grabbed is head and roled him to his back. Tell you what, 145 is a crazy weight this year, be sure to watch it at state.

One of the 4 big deciding matches for Winside's winning the tournamnet. IT was a very close match all the way through that came down tot he final second to decide the winner but the deciding factor in the match was the nearfall by Bowers coming late in the second period. If Luke doesn't give up the 3 points, the third period becomes much closer and much more exciting. Instead Luke tried to make the come back but fell short by two points.

Mostly watch Derek Schwartz in this bracket. I know Derek kept a fairly close match to Vinson for quite awhile. Derek faired a lot better on his rematch on Vinson from the Stanton tournament. In his 3rd/4th match, Derek looked pretty solid against against Olson. Olson gave him a good fight until the third where Derek pretty much wrapped the match up. I didn't see the Holdorf and Vinson finals match.

Price and Friedrich was a pretty good match up. Both wrestlers are pretty solid on their feet and both are very agressive wrestlers. Price has a very smooth shot that looks flawless, very tough to defend against. Not for sure if these two meet up again this year, but if they do, don't be surprised if the match is decided by a smaller point spread. Molacek had a break out tournment at Battle Creek. This is the Molacek I am used to watching, good smooth shots, out of nowhere throws, he is just fun to watch. His match against Mozer was close int the third until he hit a beautiful head lock completely out of position, I'm not for sure if anyone saw that coming.

The shock came when 4th seed Frizzell beat 1st Nickolite in the semi's. Frizzell is a very smart wrestler that can make a good wrestler look bad by capitalizing on their mistakes. This is exactly how he caught Brett on his back two times. Brett led most of the match until Frizzell began to make it interesting. With only a few seconds left and down by I think 4, Brett tried for the match ending throw and came up short giving up the pin. Not for sure why, but there was a lot of "cheering against Brett" in this tournament from a few of the other teams. This is the second week in a row that this has happened to a Stanton kid. Brett has never really given a reason for people to cheer against but oh well, he responded back with two pins. In the finals Schernikau turned it up and got a pretty easy victory. This kid looks tough and is definately a candidate for the state fianls. He looks like he has filled out quite a bit from last year. Can't wait to see him and Brett battle it out at conference!!!!

Big match between Bryce Roberts and Byce Leaply. Both kids showed Saturday that they each have earned a spot in the ratings. With Brett's loss at 189 being a key match in Wnsides victory, the battle of the Bryce's makes the number 3 match. Winside getting victory over Stanton here was huge in securing their lead. This match was one of those that there was no room for flaws and it came down to the wire. With under 5 secondes left Leaply was down 3-2 and went for a big throw, for that half a second, I don't think there was a bit of oxygen left because both Stanton and Winside both took deep gasps as Roberts went about half way over and then caught his balance to save himself from Leaply's throw. Good match by each wrestler.

The best match in this weight came in the semi's with 2nd seeded Lange and 3rd seeded Hekrdle. This here is my match of the day. I think the score ended 6-4 with Heath trying hard for a last minute take down. Twice in the match though, Heath had a beautiful throw right at the edge of the mat. In both cases Heath's toes never left the mat and both stayed in bounce and Heath was on top on Lange but the ref just didn't want to give him the two. This didn't discourage Heath at all and he showed the most heart in this tournament then I have ever seen him show. Lange showed a lot more speed and mobility then Heath, but Heath showed at Battle Creek why he definatey has a chance for a state medal. He's not the biggest of heavy weights, but he is one of the better mat technitions that I have ever seen and is a very smart wrestler.

Overall, the tournament was ran very well. Battle Creek's new gym was awesome and a great place for a wrestling meet, lots of room for warming up and lots of room for the crowd. I also got a bit of a tour of the ner wrestling room, weight room, and locker rooms. Very big and very nice. It's important to have good facilities to have successful teams. This was by far the best reffing crew I have watched all season, each had their mistakes, but they were few and for the most part you didn't even know they were in the match. It's always nice to see the likes of John Torazon (sorry if I misspelled your name) on the mat. I always enjoy this tournment because I know most of the wrestlers and coaches and get to see some of the kids I wrestled back in little kids, JR high and High School. Want to give a big THANK YOU to Chad Schumacher for the Butterfinger, be watching for yours at districts Smile. Also would like to wish Coach Paul Sok a Happy Birthday and congrats on winning the tournament.

Sorry to you that were looking for a write up on the Aquinas Tourney last week, just got way too busy with school starting back up and adjusting to my new schedule.

Ever hear of the coach that couldn't coach his wrestler out of a wet paper bag; I was coaching the wet paper bag.
<?>
wheres jacobsen wrestling at the rest of the year?
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
He told me that he was still undecided and he is aware of the weigh-in rules as well. Where ever he decides to go, I'm sure he will do great.

Ever hear of the coach that couldn't coach his wrestler out of a wet paper bag; I was coaching the wet paper bag.