Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Academic All State Wrestlers

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Academic All State Wrestlers Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
Today's Omaha World Herald featured the annual Academics Teams for graduating seniors. I scanned the lists, looking for state qualifier wrestlers. I apologize in advance because I know I missed some. Please add those wrestlers that I missed.

Michael Klinginsmith, Kearney Catholic. This is the most impressive resume on the list. #1 in his class, 35 ACT score, 3X state champion, UNL wrestling recruit.
Ethan Schneider, O'Neill. Didn't qualify for state but had a reasonable excuse, if you call heart surgery a reasonable excuse.
Cole Washburn, Ashland-Greenwood
Tyler Gifford, Banner County
Noland Broekmeier, Central City
Douglas Daro, David City Aquinas
Foster Meier, Elm Creek
Trenton Nekoliczak, Greeley-Wolbach
Brian Bossert, Omaha Skutt

Please fill in those that I missed. Let's give these fine student-athletes the recognition they deserve.

Congrats to all of you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frank Ryan,
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Congrats to all the wrestlers Frank listed.

Wow...#1 in his class, 35 ACT AND a three-time state champ? Klinginsmith won't ever be accused of being a "dumb jock"...that's for sure. Awesome stuff!

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Senior Kurt Thomsen from Omaha Westside...going to UNO to gain an Arch. Engineering degree.
Novice
Sean Derry Omaha Northwest, just missed out by a few percetage points but what a great effort!!
Rookie
One piece of advice for you parents or wrestlers regarding the ACT: take it early and take it often as it is a key determinent for academic money in college. My kid didn't take his until senior year, and then couldn't take it the last time available due to a conflict with a wrestling tournament even though he tried to make arrangements. He ended up with a good score, but not a top score which is achievable by simply playing the game. A lot of kids start taking the ACT or test preparation in 7th grade. Also, some evidence indicates that ACT scores go up about 2 points each time the test is taken. The difference between a 30 and a 33/34/35 translates to major academic dollars in college. As far as I know, there is not a limit as to how many times you can take it. I could stand corrected on that point though.

I share this information because I wish someone would have shared it with us four or six years ago, and because wrestlers simply deserve success considering the high price they pay at a multitude of levels.

Play the ACT game. Play it early, play it often. A solid GPA is important, but is not enough.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I took the ACT three times and scored a 36.

Unfortunately...that was the cumulative result of my three tests, not an average.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by arm drag:
One piece of advice for you parents or wrestlers regarding the ACT: take it early and take it often as it is a key determinent for academic money in college. My kid didn't take his until senior year, and then couldn't take it the last time available due to a conflict with a wrestling tournament even though he tried to make arrangements. He ended up with a good score, but not a top score which is achievable by simply playing the game. A lot of kids start taking the ACT or test preparation in 7th grade. Also, some evidence indicates that ACT scores go up about 2 points each time the test is taken. The difference between a 30 and a 33/34/35 translates to major academic dollars in college. As far as I know, there is not a limit as to how many times you can take it. I could stand corrected on that point though.

I share this information because I wish someone would have shared it with us four or six years ago, and because wrestlers simply deserve success considering the high price they pay at a multitude of levels.

Play the ACT game. Play it early, play it often. A solid GPA is important, but is not enough.

And remember if you want to go to an east coast or west coast school, the SAT will be required. Midwest - ACT and the coasts like SAT.
Junior High
My son told me about a friend of his that scored a 19 the first time she took the ACT. She took it over and over until finally ending up with a 33.

Some students start taking the ACT's in middle school.

Most wrestling scholarships do not pay much, especially if you go to a smaller school. Your best bet is to score high on your ACT, even more important then your class rank and GPA.

So . . . don't study in high school just to get good grades, study with the idea that you are studying for your ACT scores.
Rookie
I do not want to detract from the importance of the ACT and I do not want to get off on a tangent- just "food for thought"... The Nebraska National Guard pays 100% tuition. My son joined, got the tuition plus $20,000 bonus. All that makes his 27 ACT score meaningless. Yes - he will also spend time in Iraq or Afghanistan. Just a thought as the ACT score is really about $$ for college (for most). The bonus for me? He went to Basic Tng after his junior year rather than lay around the house all summer.
Rookie
I believe that Bryce Walker and Justis Stolz, both of Central Catholic were both academic all-staters. Congrats boys
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Here is a list of Academic All Staters! 29 pages and most schools in Nebraska are represented. Find out if your school had a wrestler or two make the cut!

http://journalstar.com/resourc.../2009/04/aas2009.pdf

Rick Henry