Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Top 5 all time?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Top 5 all time? Login/Join

<Fan>
posted   Report This Post  
The School has a short history, but impressive non-the-less, Skutt's top five:

1.Todd Meneely(4x SC)
2.Kasey Kohl(4x SC)
3.Mitch Waite(2x SC 4x finalist)
4.Chas DeVetter(1x SC 3x finalist)
5.Steve Conlin(2x SC)

and before everyone starts, they all lived within 2 miles of Skutt!
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Lance Stallion
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Holy Smokes Badger, you were right on several counts...I was a few pounds up from Jason, and it was Nate Peters from Logan View who got that score. Jason tried a throw and slipped. I don't know if you knew this, but my older brother Tim was an assistant coach in Bennington for several years in the early/mid 80s when Bennington had a pretty good team. he and Jason were pretty good friends. We were really sad when we heard what happened to Jason.
<Guest>
What are some peoples thoughts on the top five at like rushville, louisville, stanton, weeping water, omaha north, and platteview. These schools have pretty good wrestling tradition.
<Guest>
What tradition? Louisville, Stanton and Platteview have not had a great tradition. None have won a state title and except for recently have rarely been in the top 10.
<username>
umm dude louisville has been in the top ten the last couple years. You must not know a whole lot about wrestling there buddy.

THink before you talk
<a fan>
When I think about the Top 5, or the best, I first think about their High School years, then their College years, and for a very select few after college, having said that here are some of Nebraska's best.

1.Brad Vering-Proven in H.S,College National Champ, USA-Greco Team
2 Chris Blair-Proven H.S, 4x AllAmerican at UNO
3 Baughmaen Creighton, Proven H.S National Champ at UNO.
4.Mark Manning, I believe National Champ UNO, Current Ne Head Coach.
5. Roy & Ray Oliver-Oylimpic alternate,National Champ at NE

6. On his way-Brett Allgood 4X H.S 1xJuco Champ
7. On his way-Todd Meneely 4x H.S Possible Starter at Iowa this season.
<Guest>
Learn to read and think. If you could read, I said "except for recently have rarely been in the top 10". I dont think a couple of years qualify as a tradition.
<DDog>
I will admit that I am a Louisville fan so my opinion is somewhat bias. I would agree that you would be stretching it to say Louisville has a "tradition" but you need to realize that those guys have only had wrestling about ten years or so. In that short amount of time however, I believe they have been in the top three twice and in the top ten at least two other times. Not bad for a fairly new program. They have had somewhere around 13 state placers including some kids with state titles. Great Tradition? Probably not yet. Not a bad start though.u
Novice
Bob Orta of Lincoln High could be mentioned in this class. I believe he was a 3 time state champion. He also wrestled in for the huskers and was an olympic alternate I believe only missing the olympics by giving up a td at the end of the match.
Rookie
for all us insomniacs here are some more top five from some schools. I think this is a good topic as it brings lots of schools up and many wrestlers from the past. If I overlooked someone I am sorry.

West Point Public
1. Tom Hoffman
2. Tim Schroeder
3. Dave Hoffman
4. Jay Schroeder
5. Dave Masilko

WPCC
1. Barry Kreikemeier
2. Brad Kreikemeier
3. Chad Schinstock
4. Corey Peatrowsky
5. Randy Throener

Oakland Craig
1. Paul Sok
2 Dale Maggnesson
3. Del Hawkins
4. Scott Lindstrom
5. Someone help me here

Elgin Pope John
1. Dean Riecks
2. Dom Riecks
3. Clifford Faust
4. Tyson Dinslage
5. Corey Faust

Wisner - Pilger
1. Steve Ott
2. Kevin Kindschuh
3. Toby Thompson
4. Kevin Kramer
5. Terry McGuire

Albion
1. Doug Borer
2. Terry Fisher
3. Mike Grape
4 & 5 - there are honestly so many it is anyones opinion, even 2 & 3 above might be up for change.

Norfolk Catholic
1. Jed Lewis
2. Jeff Hiemes
3. Kevin Raemakers
4. Joe ( I think) Schulte
5. Aaron Tharp or Jeff Gillispie

Stanton
1. Randy Hansen
2. Jon Hanson
3. Kevin Woockman
4. T. Wurdinger
5. Daniels ( from late '70's)

Greeley
1. Kenny Nordhues
2. Donny Nordhues
3. David Nordhues
4. Kevin Nordhues
5. Pick a Wood or a Herman

Burwell
1. Mark Jensen
2. Jeff Roggash
3. Mike Max
4. Luke Gideon
5. Someone pick one

David City Aquinas
1. Jim Buresh
2. Heath Fiala
3. Curt Helgoth
4. Scott Phlum
5. Kenny Kadavy

David City Public
1. Scott Stara
2. Nate Kamrath
3. Dustin Hines
4. Keith Stara
5. Kurt Kuhlman

Tekamah Herman
1. Wes Burt
2. Buck Hoier
3. James Weast
4. Brian Welte
5. Could be about 10-12 guys here including Brett Ray, Brady Ray, Paul Tierney, Phil Tobin
Leo Gramke, or Floyd Sheets for you old timers.

Hasn't this been fun!!
State Qualifier
For Oakland you could add Keven Erickcon.I think he was a 2 time or even 3 time champ.

I wrestled him my freshman year at 112 when I only weighed 98 pounds.He never pinned me but he taught me a few things.That might be my claim to fame,in four years of varsity I was never pinned.That probably feels like a tougher accomplishment than my career record of 85-15.Do you still have the stats from the old days.

(hey ,I agree on your brother Tim.He's probably the best I ever beat as he and I split my senior year 1975)
Was Gramke the guy who beat Dan Bazata in the finals?
Rookie
Picture of Cschumacher
I am no expert on this but will try to put up some names for Plainview and Randolph. Bill, Dean or anybody else help me out if you can.

Randolph
1. Kyle Gubbels
2. Scott Krueger
3. Bill Gubbels
4+5 Names I came up with - Darin Loberg, Layne Seivers, Jeremy Burns, Mark Bloomquist, Dan Stevens, Casey Sullivan

Plainview
1. Dale Bonge (still a god in my eyes)
2. John Guinn
3. Aaron Arlt (think he was a 4x qualifier and 4x placer)
4. Garret Forbes (holds many of the records)
5. Help on this. I was lucky enough to win one and there were many great wrestlers before me and after me.
<Guest>
Others that need to be included...

Oakland: wasn't there a guy named Cope in the early 90s who was pretty decent?
Albion: Can't forget Kavalage.
West Point: There was a 112-pounder who won it in 1997.
Stanton: Zack Molacek is definitely top five.
Tekamah: You could make up a separate string just debating Tekamah's best.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
quote:
Originally posted by Cschumacher:
Dale Bonge (still a god in my eyes)

Coach Schumacher, Dale Bonge is a God in all our eyes. Smile
State Qualifier
For Plainview ,I nominate Bob Lingenfelter.The first time I saw the guy I was amazed at how huge he was.Bare in mind that I was 95 pounds so everyone was big.What was his wrestling weight? I bet it was before the 275 limit.

At the Howells invite in the early 70's Lingenfelter steps on the mat and the official (Max Kinselman) tells him he cant wrestle because he is wearing tennis shoes.The coaches try to convince him that they dont make wrestling shoes his size,which is totally believable since he had to have like size 14 feet.Well the match is held up for a while until finally they let him wrestle and he goes out and pins the guy in about 20 seconds.
<Cschumacher>
Little story on Bob. He only wrestled 1 year in high school, his senior year. Wouldn't of done that if he had not got in an argument with the basketball coach. Got 2nd that year. Wish he would of given it more years because he was huge and quick.
We were discusssing life one nite and he told me they talked him into going out for wrestling at Nebraska his freshman year. He wrestled in one tournament at the Fargo Open I think. The heavy weight from Iowa State (I am drawing a blank, Chris Taylor?) was there and so were a ton of others who wanted to wrestle him. Bob didn't wrestle him but watched him in action. Bob decided after that to stick to football.
I think he had like size 15-16 shoe.
<Fan>
quote:
Originally posted by A Fan:
When I think about the Top 5, or the best, I first think about their High School years, then their College years, and for a very select few after college, having said that here are some of Nebraska's best.

Rookie
I'll have to admit that Kevin Erikson of Oakland should be top 5, he ranks ahead of Cope in my mind.
I also think that Zach would fit nicely at #3 for Stanton,(shows how short my memory really is)
Kavalege needs to be included in Albion's top 5, but Shawn Schultzkump (West Point)is behind Masilko, Dave was a two time placer and State Champion. In fact all above him are multiple placers and champions. You could make a better arguement for Daric Kraus who wrestled 2 years at WPH. I did not include him as I witnessed him in behavior during season that top wrestlers do not exhibit.

I have all the records ever written. every match could still be looked up. I've always wanted to data base the whole thing, but it would take forever.
<Fan>
quote:
Originally posted by Fan:
quote:
Originally posted by A Fan:

AFan:

The beginning of your post made it sound like you had a good rationale for your picks. However, to start Manning is from South Dakota. Ray Oliver was never a National Champ. It's BRAUMON Creighton. And not to slight Chris Blair's accomplishments, but no way he is #2.
Rookie
that last line was for panther, I have the Howells books still intact. 1969-70 to present.

A complete career list of Howells might include:

1. Brad Vering
2. Kurt Bohaboj
3. Dan Bazata
4. Alan Bohaboj
5. Craig Coufal / Greg Barta

Weeping Water
1. Kyle Sorenson
2. Craig Brack
3. Terry Harms (about '95)
4. Greg Holt
5. Rocky Hudson