Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Iowa Brackets and Results
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Iowa Brackets and Results Login/Join

NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
posted   Report This Post  
Here is the link to iowa brackets and results:

http://www.iahsaa.org/07wrresults.html

Rick Henry

Junior Varsity
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Some pretty amazing records of individuals.

WOW, no losing records in any weight or class. the worst records that i found were.....

18-17, 25-20, 23-19, 32-22, 21-10, 23-11

alot of weights with 2-3 undeated kids and with many other kids with less than 4 losses. some of the records going at it are crazy. in one quarters there is 2 undefeated kids wrestling(i think the only 2 undefeated kids in the bracket lol)

Wow.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Junior Varsity
At 119AAA two defending champs met in the first round both only had two loses each. To get to the IA state is quite an accomplishment with only two out of each district going. I still would put NE champs against the IA champs it would be competitive just not the depth in NE. Really not sure why either about the same populations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: scrambler,
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I really didn't post this to become a comparison between states. I thought some would like to follow the results of teams/individulas that they have wrestled.

scrambler--Iowa has a population of about 3 million, whereas Nebraska is about 1.8million

Rick Henry

Rookie
How do they do their pairings? Are they seeded or drawn? There were some matches in the first round that matched up guys with 1 or 2 losses each.

Coach Meyer

World Champion
Picture of HB
8 districts; 2 qualifiers from each. They use a pairing formula similar to Nebraska's, just more combinations.
Junior Varsity
I was not doing it to compare the two states just giving my thoughts. I guess I always thought NE was a little bigger than that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: scrambler,
Rookie
Does Iowa have a regional before districts or is it only the district tourney itself.

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell
Junior Varsity
In class 1A and 2A they have a sectional tournament where two wrestlers qualify to the districts.
Rookie
3A just has a district tournament because it has the least number of teams. 1A and 2A have a sectional where the top 2 from sectionals will qualify for districts. It is much harder to qualify in Iowa than is it in Nebraska. In 1A (the smallest class) they have an 8 or 9 team sectional, with the top 2 qualifying for districts and combining with another sectional for a 4 person district. The top 2 from this go to state. The bottom line in Iowa (at least in 1A) you have the top 2 wrestlers out of 16 - 18 teams going to state. This is much less than in nebraska where it is the top 4 out of 8, 12, or 16 depending on your class.

how with having only the top 2 out of 8 or 9 do they have true 2nd available?

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Rookie
If the wrestler who gets 3rd, hasn't faced the wrestler who finished 2nd, then those two will wrestle for a true 2nd place. This happens at both the sectional and district level in Iowa.
Rookie
In Iowa about 16% of the wrestlers qualify for state compared to about 29% in Nebraska. Some very good wrestlers never qualify for state in Iowa. If there's 2 good wrestlers in your area and weight, you don't make it out of Sectionals. Having watched Nebraska high school wrestling for a few years now, I like having more kids qualifying for state. Sure, some kids who probably shouldn't qualify make it in but when you figure 85% or more of high school wrestlers will never wrestle again after high school, it's about the experience, learning and having fun. The top kids in either state are good enough to wrestle in college if they choose to.
Junior Varsity
I agree that having the top 4 get to state in NE you will pretty much get the best wrestlers in the state tournament. In the IA state tournament you have very little room to have a bad match if you do or get upset you most likely are staying at home.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Cyman:
In Iowa about 16% of the wrestlers qualify for state compared to about 29% in Nebraska. Some very good wrestlers never qualify for state in Iowa. If there's 2 good wrestlers in your area and weight, you don't make it out of Sectionals. Having watched Nebraska high school wrestling for a few years now, I like having more kids qualifying for state. Sure, some kids who probably shouldn't qualify make it in but when you figure 85% or more of high school wrestlers will never wrestle again after high school, it's about the experience, learning and having fun. The top kids in either state are good enough to wrestle in college if they choose to.

BINGO! Cyman, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Rookie
Sioux City North has a very respectable team and qualified 6 which is alot. I've said it before that if Nebraska would move to a 3 class system like Iowa they would gain more respect. But until then Iowa will still believe they are superior, and that is exactly what they think.

Remember-CLONESRULE!!!
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by chiefstorm:
Here is the link to iowa brackets and results:

http://www.iahsaa.org/07wrresults.html

I believe this Link will let you watch the Iowa State Tournament on your computer if you can't get KXVO off the dish or cable. It starts at 6:05 PM (5:05 PM for MST). If you like pageantry I think you will like the first 35-45 minutes and the Grand March.

http://www.ihssn.com/events.aspx?sport=wrestling
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerlock:
If the wrestler who gets 3rd, hasn't faced the wrestler who finished 2nd, then those two will wrestle for a true 2nd place. This happens at both the sectional and district level in Iowa.

The wrestler who finishes third in either sectional or district is on standby in case the first or second wrestlers get hurt, sick, don't make weight, etc. The third placer fills in at the district or state. I can never remember seeing a bye in the state tournament.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Clonesrule:
Sioux City North has a very respectable team and qualified 6 which is alot. I've said it before that if Nebraska would move to a 3 class system like Iowa they would gain more respect. But until then Iowa will still believe they are superior, and that is exactly what they think.

Remember-CLONESRULE!!!

Can someone exlpain to me why having Iowa's respect is important again? When the governing body of the NSAA is sitting around in meetings, is this what they discuss? "How do we get Iowa to respect us???". Since when is the point of high school sports to churn out uber-champions to show off to the world? I thought it was to add another opportunity to the life of a kid if that was the path he/she so chose. I respect the level of competition in Iowa and bully for them taking the route they have, but I do not feel any strong desire for Nebraska to emulate them because we seem to have a few with an inferiority complex about the level of competition with our wrestling.