Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    C2 District Postponed
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
C2 District Postponed Login/Join

Junior High
posted   Report This Post  
The C2 district has been moved to one day. Starting at 10:30 Saturday. It is in Wisner-Pilger.
Novice
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
In our districts, there is going to be some 5 match limits that will cause problems for 3/4th matches. When you have as many kids seeded that have winning records as we do, then we will have kids getting forfeits. The NSAA has to wave the rules for match limits at districts. I know it will not happen this year, but they need to get it fixed for next year. They seem to do what they want when it comes to other rules. This should take very little thinking as to what is correct in this situation.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
You're right...it SHOULD take very little thinking. History has shown that this is one of the NSAA's greatest shortcomings.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
State Qualifier
The 5 match rules is an NFHS ruling and I don't believe NSAA could waive it if they wanted to. If NSAA could waive it I hope they would not. It's easy for us bleacher butts to say that it's no problem for a wrestler to have 6-10 matches a day. But we would also be exhausted after 6 checkers games in one day. I'm okay as long as the checkers are singles. But when we get kings they weigh twice as much and you have to jump twice as high. It just wears me out. Most of us are in good enough shape to watch that many matches a day, but it's a little different for the kids who actually sweat and grind through that many matches.

I haven't seen anything official yet but a little bird told me that if the third place consolation match would be the sixth match of the day for either wrestler they will go to criteria to determine the winner. There will be some people who will complain if their wrestler loses on criteria. Before you scream too loudly remember the last time we had districts postponed, shortened, etc. there were some wrestlers who didn't get a chance to wrestle back in the consolations. They got beat in the first round and were done unless the wrestler that beat them won in the second round.

The only bad thing about declaring a winner on criteria is that maybe the wrestler that lost on criteria is actually better than the one who won on criteria. WOE IS ME, I have to wrestle a district champion in the first round of state instead of a second placer. The third placer in the districts has the same feeble complaint. I didn't get a chance to beat the second placer so I could wrestle a district third placer instead of a district second placer.

LET'S GET THE 4 BEST KIDS TO STATE AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WHERE THEY ARE PLACED ON THE STATE BRACKETS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frank Ryan,
Rookie
3rd and 4th place matches may actually take place after midnight!!

then we would be ok.

I have a tough time seeing how this district gets postponed, yet the D-2 district in Pender is still on.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I can't recall off the top of my head if the NSAA had changed their bylaws in the wake of the blizzard during state girls basketball a couple of years ago, but it would seem to me that if they have, this should apply to two-day district meets as well.

I wasn't aware that the NSAA was tied to the NFHS. As I understood it, the NSAA's rules were based on NFHS recommendations, but I didn't realize they were bound by those.

Rookie
If im a coach who has a team who is searching for a top ten finish or possibly a state team title this would really upset me. I agree get the best four kids to state but the order is also important. I wouldn't want a wrestler of mine having to go up against a district champion first if based on criteria if the district runner was an inferior wrestler. I would want my wrestler to have the best chance to medal possible and most likely that would be against the district runner up. I hope they start the finals after midnight. I know it will be a really long day but the wrestlers deserve the chance to settle it on the mat.

I agree with bc. How can pender have their districts? I believe wisner jumped the gun. I guess we will know in a few hours. r
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Superduck09:
If im a coach who has a team who is searching for a top ten finish or possibly a state team title this would really upset me. I agree get the best four kids to state but the order is also important. I wouldn't want a wrestler of mine having to go up against a district champion first if based on criteria if the district runner was an inferior wrestler. I would want my wrestler to have the best chance to medal possible and most likely that would be against the district runner up. I hope they start the finals after midnight. I know it will be a really long day but the wrestlers deserve the chance to settle it on the mat.

I agree with bc. How can pender have their districts? I believe wisner jumped the gun. I guess we will know in a few hours. r

Superduck09,

In a perfect world you are right. But as nearly as I've been able to figure out you and I are the only perfect people in the world and I'm a little suspicious about you.
Of the 4 kids we send to state we know that the district champion is #1. He or she proved it on the mat. Unless #2 beat #3 earlier in the tournament we don't know which is better. And we don't know if #4 is better than one of the kids who didn't place unless they met earlier in the tournament. The "wait until" midnight solution works in one situation but if you want to be precise all of the way down the line it will probably be wait until midnight Monday or Tuesday. For example, the non-placers who didn't get beat by #4 now wrestle for a chance to challenge the current #4. #3 challenges #2 unless they met earlier. #3 beats #2 so #2 drops down to become the new #3. The new #4 challenges the former #2, now #3 if they haven't met before. The new #4 beats the former #2, now #3 (#3 II) and wins, becoming the third #3 (#3 III). #3 III challenges the new # 2, former #3 I and wins. This could go on forever. And remember the same thing is going on for #4. Every time a challenger wins and moves up it opens up a whole new group of possible matches. Let's just be happy that no wrestler gets shut out of the chance to wrestle in the consolation rounds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frank Ryan,
Rookie
I know that this will come with a lot of opposition, but one way to guarantee this problem doesn't happen is to go to the sectional/district format like Iowa has. There are 8-10 schools at each sectional with the top two from one sectional going on to districts to meet up with the top two from a "sister" sectional. From there, the top two out of that district go onto state. In this senario there is know way to go past the five match limit. The other nice part about this is that if one sectional is weaker, both wrestlers from that sectional should get weeded out by the "better" wrestlers from the other sectional when they meet up at districts. In turn there are less "less deserving" wrestlers at state as the wrestlers have to do it on the mat two weeks in a row just to get a chance at a third week.
Rookie
I do think that Wisner DID jump the gun on districts and hope it doesn't interfere with someones chance to make it to state. I realize safety first which it should b but they called it off at 9:00 without even seeing what is going to happen. I'm further south than the schools competing in this district and the snow has stopped. Yes, we have alot of snow but I would of rather seen them start later tonight. My fear is how they are going to do this tomorrow. Follow the leader? Or wrestle well after midnight? Neither way is a good situation.
Someone said that up north they didn't even get much snow. Good luck to all the wrestlers tomorrow!!!!
Rookie
Frank Ryan,
In a perfect world every wrestler would wrestle exactly to their prospective seed and no upsets would occur. I'm not suggesting any drastic changes. All I want to see is for all of the wrestlers to have the opportunity to settle it on the mat. I see your reasoning that not every single wrestler is able to wrestle every single opponent so there isn't 100% percision; however, unlike the state tournament, bracket position at the district level is seeded and isn't simply drawn. Therefore, the difference between a 3rd and a 4th place medal at districts can be important especially if the only difference between them is the luck of one wrestler of having a first round bye so as to avoid this problem.
Novice
It is 4 O'clock here in Norfolk. We have not had any snow. I understand safety first, but maybe a little bit more common sence could have been used and waited to see how the snow progressed. Nothing we can do about it. Just get the boys ready to lace it up for a long day tomorrow.

Coach Aschoff
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
Wrestling the finals after midnight would not fly with the NSAA for two reason. I suspect they would consider it one day even if it ends after midnight. If you do want to consider it a different day then they would not be allowed to wrestle until Monday. No competition is allowed on Sundays by the NSAA.
Novice
Frank,

You say some good things on this site, but I must say now that you sound like you work for the NSAA. The 5 match limit is not OK for a district that has to be held in one day. I am having a difficult time understanding why the decision was made at 9 this morning, but it was for some reason. Know that they decided to have districts all in one day, I am afraid that 5 match limit will come into affect more than once in our districts. I can look through several districts and see a considerable drop off from 1st to 2nd seeded wrestlers. That will make a difference for state placers and team points at state. I think you are wrong in your reasoning. Something like this can be changed by next year. Nobody should have to forfeit at districts because of a weather related reason.
Novice
Picture of bccdavid
This is a difficult situation. No easy solutions, but wrestling after midnight is not the answer. It's a technical loophole and taking advantage of it is not a good idea. Wrestling after midnight might meet the law, but it violates the "spirit of the law". The reasoning of wrestling no more than 5 matches in a day is still not met if you hold the finals after midnight.

If someone pushes matches after midnight, most likely the NSAA will rewrite the law to something like "no more than 5 matches in a 24 hour period" and this will cause new problems they didn't think about. Then we will complain about the effect of this new "stupid" rule. This is how rules get so complicated: someone takes advantage of a loophole (not complying with the intent), they close the loophole and we repeat the cycle.

I working in banking law and see this all of the time.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
There needs to be a concession made for situations like this. Either the five-match rule is relaxed, or the district goes to a Saturday-Sunday setup (or Saturday-Monday, which would be a big pain in the butt for those who are traveling long distance).

Kids are getting cheated in this situation, and the NSAA really SHOULD do something about it.

State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Beav:
I know that this will come with a lot of opposition, but one way to guarantee this problem doesn't happen is to go to the sectional/district format like Iowa has. There are 8-10 schools at each sectional with the top two from one sectional going on to districts to meet up with the top two from a "sister" sectional. From there, the top two out of that district go onto state. In this senario there is know way to go past the five match limit. The other nice part about this is that if one sectional is weaker, both wrestlers from that sectional should get weeded out by the "better" wrestlers from the other sectional when they meet up at districts. In turn there are less "less deserving" wrestlers at state as the wrestlers have to do it on the mat two weeks in a row just to get a chance at a third week.

Beav,
Having grown up in that system I totally agree with you. You didn't mention what may be the best part of the system. The sectionals cover about one half of the geographic area of the district. So there is a much better chance of wrestlers having met during the season or at least having common opponents. This makes seeding more accurate than when you are seeding wrestlers that are several hundred miles apart with no head to head and no common opponent.

It was anticlimatic to come back and wrestle for a true second and third but it is fairer for the wrestlers. Also, every so often a wrestle would get sick or hurt or fail to make weight and the third placer from sectionals got to fill in at districts. The third placer from districts got to fill in at state.
Junior High
quote:
3rd and 4th place matches may actually take place after midnight!!

then we would be ok.

Seeing's how districts are already complete, this is a moot point... But... If the wrestling took place after midnight, they would still be hosed since it would then be Sunday.. Competition on Sunday is prohibited by NSAA by-laws...
Junior Varsity
what happened ?were there match limits?
Junior Varsity
I see 3 forfiets, Was it match limit?