Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    C2 District Postponed
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
C2 District Postponed Login/Join

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Twdinger
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Why did they postpone it? D-2 at Pender went as scheduled and teams like DC Aquinas, Fullerton, and Palmer all made the trip. There wasn't even a snowflake in Wisner...

Ever hear of the coach that couldn't coach his wrestler out of a wet paper bag; I was coaching the wet paper bag.
Junior Varsity
Picture of ndb65
Is it not true, that if ONE school simply called Wisner-pilger and said they did not feel comfortable making the trip, that the administration at wisner would be inclined to postpone?? Maybe the blame shouldnt lie solely on Wisner...

I know, we were at B-3, and our administration LET us leave the night before. Very good move on there part, cuz it was not nice weather down south by Aurora and Grand Island.

Guaranteed LOUDEST guy in the gym!!!!
Novice
Picture of 3/4 Nelson
Well once you start bending rules you have some serious issues and there may be no end. I have no problem with the 5 match rule but I do see where a guy forfeits a district match can be a real issue. The state tourney has never been totally fair.......numerous 3rd place finishers could have easily have been the runner-up or Champ just because of the luck of a draw or a "positioning" of where you live or what district you are in........however you want to call it. How about guys that find ways to manipulate other officials and even talk them into not following seeding criteria at districts???? So even if you seed people at State there are issues with others trying to get their advantages and even pulling it off!

BTW, the world is not fair!

"Defeat is not getting back up"
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Never Resting:
Frank,

You say some good things on this site, but I must say now that you sound like you work for the NSAA. The 5 match limit is not OK for a district that has to be held in one day. I am having a difficult time understanding why the decision was made at 9 this morning, but it was for some reason. Know that they decided to have districts all in one day, I am afraid that 5 match limit will come into affect more than once in our districts. I can look through several districts and see a considerable drop off from 1st to 2nd seeded wrestlers. That will make a difference for state placers and team points at state. I think you are wrong in your reasoning. Something like this can be changed by next year. Nobody should have to forfeit at districts because of a weather related reason.

Never Resting wrote, "I think you are wrong in your reasoning. Nobody should ever have to forfeit at districts......."
Frank answers, "Where in my post did you get the idea that I was advocating forfeiting?" Since the last shortened districts (I believe it was 2001) I have advocated doing away with the "pull through" system where some wrestlers forfeited their right to even complete in the consolations. I think the current system still has a huge fault. That is that it forces a forfeit if it will be the 6th match for one wrestler but only the 5th for the other one. We had one of those fallacies in the Gretna district. Wrestler A beat wrestler B in an early round. Then A got beat so went into the consolation brackets. They both advanced to the consolation finals but it would have been the 6th match for A so he was forced to forfeit to B, who he had beaten earlier in the tournament. He got a 4th place medal instead of having the opportunity to win the 3rd place medal. His team did not have the opportunity for those 2 extra place points, plus bonus points he may have earned. His opponent picked up 2 extra team points without breaking a sweat. That is not right and I hope you coaches will bombard NSAA with RESPECTFUL letters and emails asking that it will be corrected before next year and go the criteria if it would be the 6th match for either wrestler, not just for both wrestlers.

The other place you may think my reasoning is wrong is in my opposition to waiving the 5 match limit. Let's think of another example, and I certainly hope it is just an example. Let's imagine that you are scheduled for a very compex heart surgery next Friday afternoon. Your surgeon comes in and tells you that, for the safety of the patient, the American College of Cardiology Surgeons has a rule that no surgeon can do more than 5 of those surgeries in a day. He apologizes and says that an emergency came up and he did an unscheduled surgey just before yours so he has done his 5 for the day. But he tells you of his plans for you. "I'm really exhausted but I think I could probably do 1 more without problems. So I'm going to call the American College and ask for a waiver to do a 6th because you really need this surgery and I am going on vacation tomorrow and won't be back for a month and you might not last that long. If they won't give the waiver then I will hang around until midnight and we will do it then. I think I can stay awake that long."