Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Just an interesting observation about class A and D

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Just an interesting observation about class A and D Login/Join

Junior High
posted   Report This Post  
I have been going to state wrestling at the Qwest now for five years. It seems--and please correct me if I am wrong--that class D consistently finishes wrestling and clears the mats long before A does. Why is that? Just curious!
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
You are absolutely right. More pins in D, has to be.
Rookie
In my opinion there is a greater diference in talent in D, causing more pins. More evenly matched in A less pins.
Rookie
Pins
First Round-A-52, Class D-71
Second Round-A-16, Class D-25
Totals-Class A-68, Class D-96
Junior High
Wow! That sure explains it! Thanks matstats. I guess the next question is, why are there so many more pins in D?
Rookie
Picture of Mustang Wrestler
Just for comparisons sake:

Class C - 78 Total
52 Pins First Round
26 Pins Second Round

Class B - 80 Total
57 Pins First Round
23 Pins Second Round

C and B about even. A statistically the lowest and D the highest. Strange that it seems the class size is coorelative to the number of pins.
Rookie
Not necessarily a talent difference although that may play into it as well.

Class A kids wrestle each other all year long over and over and over and over and over and over, so everyone knows each other's style, and therefore the match takes longer. To me it looks like the Class A kids are looking for their opponent to make a mistake rather than dictate their own style into the match.

Personally in my opinion, its not a talent issue at all.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Class D wrestlers are the best because they are pinners! Can't be explained any other way........ Roll Eyes

Rick Henry

Junior High
quote:
Originally posted by chiefstorm:
Class D wrestlers are the best because they are pinners! Can't be explained any other way........ Roll Eyes

I love it! Valid conclusion based on empirical data? Or wishful thinking?
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
Ok I will stir the pot! potstir
I would of thought with all those LOOSING RECORDS in Class A you would have a lot more pins in A especially in that 1st round! SARCASM Big Grin
potstir potstir potstir

hawk

Junior High
Oh Oh! Here we go again . . .
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
In all seriousness........ 48% of the matches were decided by pin. That seems a little high to me, especially in the state tournament. (322 matches out of 672). Pin or be pinned.... 6 minutes to exploit a mistake/misstep...

Rick Henry

Junior High
Interestingly, classes B, C and D were done long before "A" was tonight. "A" was even using 4 mats for the last several weights. Not making any inferences, just another observation.
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
All I know is lots of good wrestling Friday night- lots of great matches all the way around. Took longer than usual considering we started earlier. Great Great night.
Rookie
Just something I wanted to note to day ....Derek Geddings of South Sioux City won class A 189 today after finish 3rd in class D last year at 171 for Oakland Craig......I guess some people gotta go to class A to win a State Title ....In all do respect though Congrats to derek on the State title ....one heck of a match
Junior High
Interesting logic husker34.

Nick Schoeder didn't even qualify for state last year and was a split second away from being a class A state champ today.

. . . and with all DUE respect, Geddings is a very fine wrestler in any class.
Rookie
Back to the original subject. It would be interesting if someone compared all the blood time, injury timeouts, and "injury" timeouts from A and D. Seems like A had a lot more breaks during their matches.
Rookie
Picture of Titan
quote:
Originally posted by chiefstorm:
In all seriousness........ 48% of the matches were decided by pin. That seems a little high to me, especially in the state tournament. (322 matches out of 672). Pin or be pinned.... 6 minutes to exploit a mistake/misstep...

actually i think the pin ratio is higher yet due to the number of forfeits. the 672 match number is the slated number not the actual number of matches wrestled.
Junior High
I doubt that class A wrestlers tend to get injured more frequently then B, C, or D. Unless however, class A tends to wrestle with greater ferocity. (joking of course)

Although there were a lot of blood time-outs on the A mats yesterday, I doubt there is a correlation. However, one might say that increased wrestling time correlates with increased chances of injuries.