Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    A special year upon us in Class B...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
A special year upon us in Class B... Login/Join

Junior High
posted   Report This Post  
Just did some quick figuring and I was pretty suprised at the enormity of accomplishments Skutt could achieve at state this year. Provided these are simply based on rankings so there is plenty of conjecture.

9 possible state finalists (103, 119, 125, 130, 140 (depending on how you look at the ranking...I don't know if Vogel can get there.. 152, 160, 171, 189).

Potential to possibly tie or beat Omaha South's all-class record of 11 medalists.

They should be able to tie or beat Cozad's record of 5 state champs (Class B record).

They also have a shot at beating the all-class scoring record of 196.5 set by Kearney. Hate them or love them, you have to admit this is a special team that has the ability to go down as one of Nebraska's all-time greats.
State Qualifier
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
South did not have 14 weights back then so there should be an asterick next to that record if it is ever broken.
Junior High
Ahhh very true forgot about that thanks AD! Geez, that makes that record THAT much more impressive.
Novice
In no way am I trying to discredit the accomplishments of former wrestlers/teams.

You must also remember when looking at the records set by the South and Central teams, that there were not very many high schools that had wrestling back then. I don't know the exact number, but I'll bet there was only 10-12 teams in the state that had wrestling.
Rookie
9 possible state finalists (103, 119, 125, 130, 140 (depending on how you look at the ranking...I don't know if Vogel can get there.. 152, 160, 171, 189).

Possible but are we forgetting about Katusian(SP). He has only lost out side of nebraska (I think). This kid should be ranked #1 but at the ranking (pre Skutt meet) only was given a 6th place ranking. But ranking mean nothing anyway.
Novice
Picture of Lovesee
Fewer weight classes back then, fewer medals were awarded back then, fewer schools back then. Other points to remember...no open enrollment. Back then (in fact not that long ago), you actually had to go to the school district in which you lived. Back in the old days, kids from ranch/farms had chores to do and in many instances weren't allowed to go out for sports. Also, the rules and even the scoring system has changed quite a bit over the years. In the old days, some schools didn't have the budget to afford to send the kids to a state tournament, some rural areas had there own "year end" tournament. Go far enough back and you will also find there were no "age limit" requirements (you could be a 20 year old senior). Go far enough back and you will find there were no eligibility requirements (you could have all F's, or worse be taking 1 class). So, let's see, we should have about 10 different astericks based upon which era you are from, right?

If any records are broken, we should all recognize the accomplishment and tip our hats to those that break them. If Skutt breaks some records, I hope the wrestling community celebrates and appreciates.

not trying to potstir
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Metro Ref 79:
Possible but are we forgetting about Katusian(SP). He has only lost out side of nebraska (I think). This kid should be ranked #1 but at the ranking (pre Skutt meet) only was given a 6th place ranking. But ranking mean nothing anyway.

Pokorny beat him but Pokornys in C so Katusian has a shot.
Rookie
Picture of The Genie
The best team money can buy.
Novice
Oh stop please!!! You're killing me Genie. You are hilarious.
Rookie
I agree with The Genie
Rookie
Is that why we need One City One school district. We already have the State Meet here????
Novice
hey kman, are you kidding about not knowing if vogel can get there? he's in and should do well!!!!!
Junior High
Picture of Cyclone
This is how I see it.
103. Zach Cottle will not make the finals.
112. Matt Katusin has a long road head. Could end up being the B-2 district finals. Wakefield, Carter or Katusin will be in the finals.
119. Tyler Sackett finalists
125. Tyler Kottas finalists
130. Quintin Cottle not a 100%
135. Jake Cardenas I don’t see him getting past Bashus or High
140. Derek Vogel will not make the finals
145. David Raetz wont place
152. Scott Nordstrom should win it
160. Kyle Svendsen should win it
171. Clint Steele not an easy road
189. Nick Schafer finalists
215. Matt Muschall wont place
275. Wayland Latham lucky to place

You think this team is good wait to next season.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Cyclone,
Novice
Way back in the old days, there was open enrollment. Students in north O. could go to North High, Omaha Tech, or Central. A lot of the present day rules about transfering came from those days. It wasn't uncommon to see great athletes of those days play football for one school in the fall and then run track for another school in the spring depending on who had the better teams.

Hey Genie, can you be more of a jealous jerk?
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
quote:
You think these team is good wait to next season.

Care to elaborate?
Rookie
We forget about B-1 dont count Milke out yet!
quote:
Originally posted by osucowboys:
This is how I see it.
103. Zach Cottle will not make the finals.
112. Matt Katusin has a long road head. Could end up being the B-2 district finals. Wakefield, Carter or Katusin will be in the finals.
119. Tyler Sackett finalists
125. Tyler Kottas finalists
130. Quintin Cottle not a 100%
135. Jake Cardenas I don’t see him getting past Bashus or High
140. Derek Vogel will not make the finals
145. David Raetz wont place
152. Scott Nordstrom should win it
160. Kyle Svendsen should win it
171. Clint Steele not an easy road
189. Nick Schafer finalists
215. Matt Muschall wont place
275. Wayland Latham lucky to place

You think these team is good wait to next season.
Junior High
maddog,

My statement was I don't believe Vogel can make the finals, I believe he should be able to place though. The potential for 9 finalists is there and I think we'll all be dumbfounded if it happens.

OSU, I'd be suprised if next year's team is as loaded, tons of holes up top to be filled. With the exception of 215, everyone else graduates.
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
That was the way I saw it as well. Maybe there is a new bunch of higher-weight wrestlers of state championship caliber waiting in the wings? You never know. Smile

I am sure they will be very good; but better than this year with almost every weight from 145 up needing to be replaced? If anyone can pull it off, I suppose it is SC.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: green goblin,
Junior Varsity
Picture of S0404
AIM: Online Status For Spartan69ALM04
Looks like them Yankees are going to have another great team this year too
Rookie
Guest22 - My dad was on that Omaha South team that set the record. He was a two time champ and earned a full ride to D1 Nebraska. I'll ask him about the 10-12 teams in the state. I'm willing to bet that it took just as much hard work, dedication, and heart to win a state title back then as it does now.

Easy on the old guys, they take as much pride in what they accomplished as the kids do today. If Skutt beats the record, congratulations, they are a great team and they deserve it. But there is a reason that record has stood for so long.