Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Huskerland Tournament

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Huskerland Tournament Login/Join

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Bulldog
posted   Report This Post  
CoolI just wanted to thank all of the people who made it work once again this year. It takes a lot of people to make it work and the Huskerland board did well under stressed circumstances. All I know is the UNK chancellor needs to be removed for what she did.
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Craig,
Fill us in. What did the chancellor do?

Meyer
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
I think we got everything worked out for the future. Basically what happened was this. Huskerland signed a three year contract with UNK for the use of the athletic facility on the designated weekend for Huskerland. Anyway, another contract was signed by Destination Imagination (formerly Odessey of the Mind) with the Chancellor's office or the MAIN office for the administration of UNK. As you might guess, one contract trumped another contract and with little or no time to make changes, Huskerland was stuck in a bind. Thanks to Marc Bauer for helping to make things happen. We were able to avert disaster with the one day tournament this year and we got the scheduling taken care of for the next four years with assurances that this WILL NOT happen again. So, with this hiccup behind us, we should be back to normal next year. A thanks to all the people at the tournament for being patient with the situation.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Kudos to the Huskerland folks and Marc Bauer for running as smooth a one-day tournament with over 1,300 kids involved as I've ever seen run. All things considered, it could have been a heck of a nightmare and everybody involved did a super job.

The UNK chancellor shouldn't be fired for her gross incompetence. Tarred, feathered and flogged with a yardstick would be more appropriate.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
FYI,
The Chancellor is not a her, it's Doug Kristensen, formerly the head dog of the unicameral.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
You know...I should have remembered that. Must be the early onset of Alzheimer's...

Junior Varsity
Picture of S0404
AIM: Online Status For Spartan69ALM04
I agree this tournament was ran very well, Wouldn't have ever thought it would go this smooth with as many kids in a one day meet...

Also it looks like Nebraska is getting more and more talent every year on the Junior High Level and that's good to see... seen alot of great wrestling this weekend
Rookie
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW THE TEAMS ENDED UP IN EACH CLASS? I'M MOSTLY INTERESTED IN CLASS A.
THANKS
Novice
Where are the results listed? Have to see how the guys stacked up!
Rookie
Yeah, when will the results be posted for the teams? And where can we find pictures?
Rookie
It was a great tournament. Congratulations to all who wrestled and those who worked the tourney. I was pleased with the level of competition and most of the sportsmanship. However, I did witness many acts of unsportsmanship. I saw one mat where the ref had to throw himself on a wrestler to keep control. Saw another 5/6 grade wrestler who got pinned in Champ of Champ match and blew a gasket. Also overheard a father tell his son who had just gotten beat that "He got #$%^#$!" I'm sure there were many acts of great sportsmanship but it's the few acts of ignorant fools who ruin it for the rest of us. I wish there was something we could do to eliminate it. To those coaches who place sportsmanship as the highest priority I applaud. To those who have the win at all cost mentality, I hope that before next season they will grow and mature and strive to do what is best for the kids. After all that's what it's all about. My son was never a Huskerland Champ and he may never be a state champ but as long as he works hard, has fun, and learns the many lessons that wrestling can teach him he will be successful. My only hope is that he has the same love for the sport that I do. Wrestling has taken me many places and I've met many great friends along the way. Wrestling, the greatest sport in the world. Keep on wrestling, if you never quit, you'll never lose.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Unfortunately, the concept of sportsmanship is lost on those who continue to rant and rave and stomp and pout when they don't get their way. And there is always a justification -- in their minds, anyway -- for this boorish behavior that will continue to perpetuate itself, not only in their own actions, but in the actions of the children who look to them for guidance into how to act as a member of the human race.

These jerks are clearly in the minority, but they are enough of a vocal minority that it gives youth sports in general, and youth wrestling specifically, a black eye.

Dealing with adversity is one of the key elements to being a success, not only in wrestling, but in the game of life. It's a shame there are those who have failed to grasp that concept even today as the rest of us have evolved into the 21st century.

Rookie
You said it. I wonder if having all youth coaches attend a rules/sportsmanship meeting would help. Those that don't attend would be unable to purchase a floor pass for Huskerland state meet. Just a thought.
Rookie
Picture of flap
Results are posted at the Huskerland Website
Junior Varsity
Picture of S0404
AIM: Online Status For Spartan69ALM04
quote:
Originally posted by oldcoach:
It was a great tournament. Congratulations to all who wrestled and those who worked the tourney. I was pleased with the level of competition and most of the sportsmanship. However, I did witness many acts of unsportsmanship. I saw one mat where the ref had to throw himself on a wrestler to keep control. Saw another 5/6 grade wrestler who got pinned in Champ of Champ match and blew a gasket. Also overheard a father tell his son who had just gotten beat that "He got #$%^#$!" I'm sure there were many acts of great sportsmanship but it's the few acts of ignorant fools who ruin it for the rest of us. I wish there was something we could do to eliminate it. To those coaches who place sportsmanship as the highest priority I applaud. To those who have the win at all cost mentality, I hope that before next season they will grow and mature and strive to do what is best for the kids. After all that's what it's all about. My son was never a Huskerland Champ and he may never be a state champ but as long as he works hard, has fun, and learns the many lessons that wrestling can teach him he will be successful. My only hope is that he has the same love for the sport that I do. Wrestling has taken me many places and I've met many great friends along the way. Wrestling, the greatest sport in the world. Keep on wrestling, if you never quit, you'll never lose.

There will always be incidents like this but as long as Coaches and Referees make sure that little/big incidents like this don't make the event or the sport take a hit and make everyone wanting to come back for more i think it's definetely a success...
State Qualifier
Where's the results of the champ of champs?
Rookie
Picture of flap
Champ of Champs results are posted.