Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    NWI officially ceasing publication

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NWI officially ceasing publication Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Report This Post  
NWI ceasing publication

I realize this probably isn't much of a surprise since we've been on hiatus, but we have made it official and did want to announce it here.

This has been a very tough decision, but with our personal situations and family commitments being what they are it's time for us to shut NWI down (although the site will stay "live" for the time being).

I'll still be hanging around Huskermat and poking my head in from time to time at a dual or tournament. Don't know if I'll be able to emotionally deal with state or not yet...those are three days out of the year that I enjoyed immensely and seemed to make the other 362 worth dealing with.

Thanks to all who have been supportive from Day 1 and beyond. It's been a wonderful experience for me and I will cherish the friendships gained from it.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Picture of cubbie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
WELL MIKE SOME PEOPLE MIGHT NOT AGREE WITH ME BUT YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT TOOL FOR NEBRASKA WRESTLING, HIGH SCHOOL,COLLEGE,USA,HUSKERLAND,AAU, AND SO ON.WE HAVE HAD SOME GREAT TIMES AND MANY STORIES TO TELL EACH OTHER. HOPE TO SEE YOU SOMEWHERE DOWN THE ROAD,OMAHA, KEARNEY, LINCOLN, RUSHVILLE, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR THE GREAT SPORT OF WRESTLING IN THE GREAT STATE OF NEBRASKA, MANY THANKS. THE PETERSON FAMILY
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Kraig,

You and your family are great folks and thanks to you guys for everything. Give me a yell the next time you're on this side of the planet.

One of the coolest memories I'll have about the NWI years actually happened in Rushville and didn't involve the sport per se.

After enjoying a nice steak at the local steakhouse and staying the night at Nate Urbach's house, I had to take off early to be in Mullen to do a feature on a kid wrestling in the tournament. I left town about 7 a.m. Saturday morning and had the unique pleasue of spending the bulk of a 50-mile drive to Highway 2 watching the most colorful, intense, beautiful sunrise I've ever seen.

Those who make fun of that part of the state, quite honestly, have no clue what they miss out on by living in or near the big city. Sunrises and morning views like the one I got that day don't take place in Omaha or Lincoln.

Thanks again!

Rookie
good luck Mike C .Maybe huskermat could pick up the tournment results section
Junior High
Mikey C...

Best wishes in whatever you decide to do when you grow up...

Been retired almost a year now & I'm still wondering what I want to do... My toughest decision now is still what I'm going to wear every day...
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
Mikey:

Sure...talk about your pleasant stay at Nate and his family in Rushville, but no mention of your stay out our house in Chadron that same trip out West....I see how we rate.... Just for that, you are not welcome to stay with us in Chadron or Alliance again!...Sike!!!....That's actually because we now live in Inman(by O'Neill) now!!! Bwahaha (where you are still welcome)

Seriously...I'm sorry that it had to come down to this, but if it's for the better...you gotta do what you gotta do. You've been a great asset to the wrestling community...not only through your reporting, but also through your opinions and conversation generating. I always looked forward to seeing you at the state tourney and hope you will continue to attend. It might be nice for you to be there as just a spectator for once....you'll probably be able to absorb more great action than ever before!

Anyway, nice job on what you've done, and good luck in your future endeavors! Don't be a stranger. nerd

John Kant
World Champion
Picture of NWI
John,

Sorry, man...the sunrise in Rushville just looked better than it did in Chadron. I will say, though, that you guys had the best breakfast buffet/radio show I experienced during that time. No radio station does Saturday brunch better than you guys did there.

I haven't decided yet on state. I may still do some reports for some stations that I've done in the past, but that remains to be seen. If that does happen, I may be hanging out with you guys up in the box for three days, and I'm not sure that's a good idea with some of the other cats that are up there...LOL.

Thanks again for your hospitality and all your help. Big Grin

Anarchist -- my toughest decision lately has been whether to hit the snooze button or just turn the alarm off and sleep another 2-3 hours. The latter seems to be winning out a lot more lately...

Novice
Good luck Mikey, You have been a great asset to the wrestling community, and always supportive of our officiating group. You are always welcome out west, maybe we will see you at State.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Ref...thanks for the kind words. You guys perform a job that does not get near enough credit, and I hope that those involved in the sport as athletes today will look into officiating as they become adults and continue to give back to the sport. After all, without refs, who would the coaches have to yell at??? Big Grin

Rookie
Mikey, did you find a buyer for NWI yet? Are you back in Omaha now? Let us know what's going on with you.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Craig,

Technically speaking, I am no longer involved with the company, so what is happening with any sale of NWI or its properties is news to me.

I have moved back to Omaha after an ill-fated stint in South Sioux City. Not in the media business at all right now, which is sort of surreal after having been in it over half of my life, and am looking for some full-time work in my field. Doing a variety of things right now to keep the rent paid, though, and enjoying free weekends watching Kylie perform.

Give me a yell sometime -- finally got a new battery in the cell phone so I can talk longer than 2 minutes now...LOL.

Varsity Letterman
Picture of Lance Stallion
Hey Mikey!
Just wanted to say thanks for everything you've done over the years, and best wishes always, man!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Lance...thanks to you and your family as well.

And by the way...if I ever run into Bambi again, I'll let her know how you're doing. Big Grin

Novice
Mike what happened to the NWI being sold and you getting thousands of dollars for it? Did you not find a buyer? Maybe Craig will buy it and run it! How about Ross? It would be a waste to not see this thing keep going! If it is not for sale would you give it to someone so they could carry on wiht it?
World Champion
Picture of NWI
The last I heard, it's still for sale and, yes, it would be a shame to not see it continue somehow.

If you are interested, e-mail me at mike@gretnasports.com and I'll hook you up with the people you need to talk to.

Novice
What do you mean the people that you need to talk to? I thought you owned it? Did you lose it in a bankrupcy or what?
World Champion
Picture of NWI
LOL...no, no bankruptcy. Just no longer with the company.

Rookie
With all honesty, I must say that NWI was a quality website. Sorry to see you go.

Winning state is only 1/50th of the equation.