Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Weight Changes - 103 lbs.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Weight Changes - 103 lbs. Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
As most already know, the NFHS has some proposals floating about that would change the 103 lb class. If you don't agree with it, please sign the petition at

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/103pounds/

One thing to note, after you sign, it will go to another page asking for a donation. Just close the page, your signature has already been recorded.
Novice
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
can anyone repost what the 3 new proposals are? (or link me there)
Rookie
Novice
Thanks!
Novice
Option C: "Will decrease the large jump from 103-112-pounds". NO offense to the little guys, but LARGE? If you do the math, you'll know that it's a 9% jump from 103 to 112. Lets look at the jump at the other end of the spectrum for the 215-HWT jump. Almost a 33% difference in weight. That is what I call large.

This may sound like I'm for the change but I'm not. Just wanted to contribute my two cents about the wording in the proposals.
Rookie
Bad petition. 103 does need to go. Not enough kids! Look at the district seeds posted. B-2 12 teams 7 kids, B-3 12 teams 8 kids, C-3 16 teams 11 kids, D-1 19 teams 8 kids, D-2 17 teams 6 kids.

Over 3 classes, 5 districts and 76 teams there were a total of 38 kids, right at 50% of the schools don't have 103 pounders.
Rookie
I would like to see the breakdown for all weights when you say 50% don't have 103lbers because I don't think the Hwt. class would be much different.
Rookie
Optition b or c could work maybe try no 2 lb after jan 1
Novice
I am definitely on the fence on this issue. Like JOH stated, a lot of teams have difficulty filling 103, especially schools with small enrollment, or, lack of participation. But you also have that group of lightweights that wrestle and weigh 98 lbs. Difficult for them to give up an additional 10 lbs with the new weight class proposal.

I still would like to know why there isn't a greater shift in the weights in the upper classes as well. Afterall, they did move heavyweight from 275 to 285, stating that kids these days are getting bigger. WELL? Shouldn't you shift your other weight classes to reflect that?
Novice
Jonny Utah, I believe that is what is happening with all 3 proposals. We now have 3 weight classes above 171. All the proposals have 4 weight classes above 170.
StarCat, I also think each proposal is based in some way on the data collected from the alpha testing nation-wide over the past several years.
Rookie
I like Option A personally but...I think they all are worse than the original.

Leave all the weights the same and just move up 103 to 106
Novice
Maybe I'm just a stubborn heavyweight bdoggy that always wished there was another class between 215 and 285 so I wasn't getting picked on my freshman and sophomore year. tantrum
State Qualifier
Bump
<Heelpick>
posted   Report This Post  
quote:
Originally posted by JOH:
Bad petition. 103 does need to go. Not enough kids! Look at the district seeds posted. B-2 12 teams 7 kids, B-3 12 teams 8 kids, C-3 16 teams 11 kids, D-1 19 teams 8 kids, D-2 17 teams 6 kids.

Over 3 classes, 5 districts and 76 teams there were a total of 38 kids, right at 50% of the schools don't have 103 pounders.

The question would be "how many would've had a 106 lb wrestler" Maybe not much different and with the new options we lose a middle weight as its pushed upwards and now more heavier weight classes. If they want another heavy weight class, then just add it and leave the middle alone.

How many teams out there would have filled 106 but couldn't fill 103? Oakland-craig is one.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
quote:
Originally posted by 525:
How many teams out there would have filled 106 but couldn't fill 103? Oakland-craig is one.

Bennington will have about 5 kids barely breaking 100 lbs on full feed next year. Looking to trade a couple for some big guys. Smile

Just kidding, I would not trade these kids for anything in the world. They are all great kids and pretty good wrestlers.
State Qualifier
Our 103 pounder this year weighed 86 as a sophmore, hate to give any more pounds to opponants next year.

It's not broke, why fix it. Add a weight around 235 or 240
Rookie
I think if you just add a wt at 235 or 240 the number of 285 kids will be less than half the number of 103 kids. I think any of the options are an improvement, I would prefer B.
Next step is to take up the issue of letting your best 14 wrestle even if 2 are at the same weight, so Badger can find a place to get another one of his good small kids on the mat. I don't want to hijack this tread, but this is a bigger issue if you ask me.
Rookie
Syracuse did not have a 103 wrestler this year or last, and it is very questionable for the future. I like the idea of 106 pounds. I think I could actually fill that weight class in the future. Of course I am biased because I do not like to give up 6 points in a dual. The past couple of years I have looked long and hard for someone to wrestle 103 pounds and there was not anyone in the school that could do it and it is not that we have a bunch of great big kids walking the hall way. I just feel kids are getting bigger and if we have them in the weight room it is going to get even tougher as time goes on. Just my thoughts.
Rookie
quote:

It's not broke, why fix it. Add a weight around 235 or 240

I think that the NFHS looked at the alpha testing and thought that this is broke. It would be hard to argue that the two extremes (103 and HWT) are the hardest weight classes to fill. If you added a weight around 235 and 240 your HWT weight class would become almost extinct. It would be nice to just add weights and then more kids could participate, but the competitions levels would decrease tremendously. Meaning more for the team races than individual competition. It would turn into the cowboy with the most guns instead of the cowboy with the biggest guns. I would really hate to see and a kid weighing 86 pounds wrestling a kid that weighed 110 pounds, however it meant more full brackets throughout the year then I am all for it.
Rookie
I dont know what the average weights of high school students are or even if it matters when they set the weight classes.

It just seems to me that the weight classes of 119 thru 152 consistently carry the highest number of quality wrestlers. I would like to see another weight class shoved in here instead of just being shifted up.

As a fan, I dont really enjoy watching the big boys shove each other around as much as watching the lower weights really wrestle.

Maybe add Sumo wrestling to the high school sports or switch from Folkstyle to Sumo after 200lbs. Now that would make things exciting!