Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    NSAA Meeting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NSAA Meeting Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Report This Post  
Can someone explain why they are running 10 mats first round?? Also discusses the state dual tourney proposal.

Link

posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HB:
Can someone explain why they are running 10 mats first round?? QUOTE]

That's just plain dumb!

But of course we're dealing with the NSAA so...

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
Seems that they want the first round to move along faster I guess.......

Chad Mattox
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Just remember, boys and girls, sometimes NSAA stands for...

No
Sense
At
All

As I recall, the first rounds Thursday were very fast in comparison to previous years. So why the two extra mats mystifies me.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
It would be nice for an explanation, but who knows. On the state dual tournament, what a great idea. Also a great idea to have coaches Manstedt and Pokorny present the idea to the NSAA. How is this not a win-win for the sport of wrestling in Nebraska and the NSAA? The NSAA makes money and the wrestling community gets to have another week of excellent wrestling......

Chad Mattox
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
Norm and I felt the meeting went well. The NSAA Board of Directors were receptive to the ideas and had a few questions. This was put on the information part of the meeting because we were not looking for a decision at this time. We had a good dialoge with the board. I have a few follow up questions that will be address next week and after that we will decide how we will proceed.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Alan, I hope you guys can get the dual tournament idea going. Biggest challenge will be getting the delegates to see the light on it, and that will be the toughest hurdle by far. Way too many anti-wrestling delegates (cleverly disguised as AD's who were once basketball coaches) within the NSAA delegation, so it's going to be a tough sell. Just have to be persistent.

Rookie
It said in the article that they are going to 10 mats on the first day because of a Basketball game that night.
Rookie
Picture of Mustang Wrestler
quote:
Originally posted by huskernut:
It said in the article that they are going to 10 mats on the first day because of a Basketball game that night.

Seriously? It's not enough that they push team champions out quickly after awards on the last night. Now they're pushing everyone out the first night? I am a business man, so I get the money aspect. I'm just wondering when they are going to put four mats up around the outside and run a basketball game in the middle at the same time. Ridiculous.

The Creighton game is the night before the tournament starts, click here for the schedule! Cannot understand why that would make them want to set out 2 more mats. All that will do is bring back the floor congestion we got away from at Devaney.

Weird...

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
The only way I see this happening is if they take away the coaches/wrestlers section on the north end. Just re-read the link, misread it the first time. I don't know how adding more work after the game benefits the crew at the Qwest, or that is it is necessary.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Talked with Jim Angele at the NSAA, and after talking with him this actually sounds a lot better than it did at first blush.

Angele said that after the NCAA's, the Qwest people thought the team seating could be reconfigured, putting each class in one of the four-corner sections of the arena with each class having its own stairway to access the mats. Warmup mats would be under each side of the arena.

Angele said it would also shorten the day for teams, so wrestlers and coaches wouldn't have to be at the Qwest Center at 6 a.m. for weigh-ins. (Tells me we might be getting a little later start to the tournament next year.)

I like the idea of a shorter day, and if 6 a.m. weigh-ins are a thing of the past, it might mean a later start to the day as well.

Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
I would not be a big fan of having the state dual tournament a week after the regular tournament. How hard would it be to get a bunch of kids refocused a week after the state tourney? I also do not think that points from the district and state tourney are a good selection criteria. You can have 4-5 kids that score a ton of points for you, but you might have a poor dual team. If you want to get the best dual teams you need to have a district for it just as you would for the existing tourney. Throw in a subdistrict to spead it out over a couple of weeks.
NCAA Champion
Get rid of conference duals and go to a district dual tournament the week before individual districts.....that way everything is set going into state. No questions asked....take top 2 dual teams from each district. Conference duals in most areas are suffering anyways....too many opens.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Switch the weekends of state tournaments for swimming and wrestling, then add a district dual tournament the weekend before the traditional district meet weekend. That way you don't have to mess with the regular season and all the rescheduling headaches that will inevitably come from adding the dual tournament for districts and state.

It's a lot of forward thinking stuff, this adding a dual state tournament...something the NSAA Board of Control has historically had trouble digesting. I would think that TWO additional weekends worth of revenue would be worth the effort.

Rookie
Moved to 10 mats for State Tournament along with later start times:

http://nsaahome.org/textfile/wrest/wrsched.pdf
Rookie
I do not see this as a good thing. Now there is less seating for fans, which means more of them are going to be up in the nose bleed sections. Also, if you only have two coaches, and you have 3 or 4 kids in consecutive weight classes, it is going to be difficult coaching your kids. I personally think things were fine the way it was. Do we really need the extra mats? Just my thoughts.
Rookie
are they going to issue more coahing wristbands then as even if you only have 4 qualifiers, but they at weights like 112,119, 125 your going to need more than 2 coaches. Teams should get 3 no matter what anyway.
Rookie
What is the main reason for all of this?? Also, why are they waiting till 430 for B and C on day one. A and D always move along faster, so there will be another giant lull between session. 500 start for the semifinals??? 230 finals...what does everyone think about the moves?
Rookie
Picture of Grapplindog
I guess it is a good thing that the new arena in Lincoln will be done in a couple of seasons and the qwest has already said on the news that "if Lincoln wanted it that they were not going to bid against them" which would make since why they are messing with everything. Has qwest ever sold out for wrestling anyways so other than having to sit up higher there will be plenty of seats with the move around