Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Dan Gable's Influence

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dan Gable's Influence Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
If you check the staffs of the top 10 teams in the 2009 DI tournament you find:

1. Iowa-Head coach Tom Brands*-Assistants Terry Brands*, Doug Schwab*, Mike Zadick, and Luke
Eustice all wrestled for Gable.

2. Ohio State-head Coach Tom Ryan wrestled for Gable.

4. Huskers-assistant Tony Ersland wrestled for Gable.

5. Cornell-Assistant Damon Hahn* wrestled at Minnesota for J Robinson who was an assistant to
Gable.

6. Edinboro--Assistant Cliff Moore* wrestled for Gable.

7. Missouri-Assistant Joe Johnston wrestled for Gable.

8. Illinois-Head coach Mark Johnson assisted Gable and assistant coach Jim Heffernan*
wrestled for Gable.

9. Wisconsin-Head Coach Barry Davis* and assistant Bart Chelvig* wrestled for Gable.

* National Champion

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frank Ryan,
Rookie
Picture of Mustang Wrestler
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
You missed 3
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Sactown Mustangs:
You missed 3

It doesn't surprise me because there are so many. Who did I miss?
Rookie
I was referring to your numbering. You went 1. 2. 4.

I'm sure your knowledge of college wrestling coaches and ties between them is much greater than mine and knew of only a few on your list so I don't know of any that you actually "missed." Smile

Sorry for the confusion.
State Qualifier
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sactown Mustangs:
I was referring to your numbering. You went 1. 2. 4.

I'm sure your knowledge of college wrestling coaches and ties between them is much greater than mine and knew of only a few on your list so I don't know of any that you actually "missed." Smile
Sorry for the confusion. [Quote]

Iowa State finished third and I don't believe they have anyone on staff now who wrestled for or assisted Gable. I also left out 10 because I don't believe Maryland had anyone with Gable connections.
I just went into the original post and put an asterisk* after each coach who was a national champion. 7 of them wrestled for Gable.
Rookie
Oh, wow. Totally went over my head. Got it now. I thought you were just counting the number of teams in the top ten that had Gable connections not going in order of the top ten.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Kinda like the three pigs that were let go in a school not too long ago....... They had painted the three pigs with 1, 2, and 4. Administrators spent most of the morning looking for pig #3 (that never existed)!

Did Gable have any influence on Sanderson's coach? There could be a tie there, seeing as how Gable was an ISU wrestler.........

Rick Henry

World Champion
Picture of NWI
Administrators aren't THAT lacking in common sense...are they???
Funny

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
Bobby Douglas, Cael's coach, beat Gable 11-1 in 1968, handing Gable one of only about a dozen losses in his whole international career. I can't seem to find out who Bobby Douglas's assistants were and if any of them were coached by Gable, which would link Gable to Cael a little better.

Rick Henry

State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by chiefstorm:
Bobby Douglas, Cael's coach, beat Gable 11-1 in 1968, handing Gable one of only about a dozen losses in his whole international career. I can't seem to find out who Bobby Douglas's assistants were and if any of them were coached by Gable, which would link Gable to Cael a little better.

You know that I have an excellent memory, but it's awfully short. I think either Lou or Ed Banach, or both, were assistants at Iowa State while they were training for the 1984 Olympics, which both won.

Here's a good trivia question for you. How many twin brothers have ever been Olympic gold medalists in the same year? I don't know either but I can name one pair.
State Qualifier
After my last post I was ssurfing the net to find out about the Banach twins. Ed did coach at Iowa State after he won the Olympic gold. I found this video of Lou in the 1984 Olympics. Be sure to watch it all of the way though to the trivia question. If I had found this before my last post chiefstorm would owe me a steak dinner. But since I only got half of it right he only owes me a half steak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFwSlLbNFh0