Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    FINAL VOTE FOR STATE TOURNMENT IDEAS

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
FINAL VOTE FOR STATE TOURNMENT IDEAS Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
I have lumped the 3 ideas relating to the Parade of Champions into 1 and dropped off the 2 ideas that drew the fewest votes in the preliminary polls (wrestle for true second,7 votes and present all medals after heavyweight matches, 9 votes). Liven up Parade of Champions (34), have an honorary leader for P of C (12), and have all 6 medalists in P of C (8) have all been lumped together in a heading, "Overhaul P of C". Seed district winners(34), Utilize the message board for individual matches (15), and Reserve seats for family of finalists (12) are the other final ideas to be on the ballot. The following link will take you back to the thread where the ideas were first presented.
https://huskermat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7476003901/m/2461047832
Several people suggested seeding in the state tournament and 33 voted for it. But nobody presented a detailed plan of how to do it. While I was in coaching I came up with a new plan almost every year, hypothetically seeded before the state tournament, and never had any more accuracy than a good cookie taster. So if you want to present it to NSAA write a detailed plan of exactly how to do it. Since I haven't been overwhelmed by volunteers and nominations I assume that I will be the Little Red Hen and do it myself. I can't write a good plan for seeding so someone who has a good plan, help me out.

Question:
Vote for your favorite choice. Everyone gets a vote in this new poll and none of the results of the 2 preliminary polls will carry over the the final poll.

Choices:
Seed district winners
Overhaul Parade of Champions
Report results of individual matches on message board.
Reserve seats for family and special friends of finalists.

NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
While I agree with seeding the district winners so the supposed two best wrestlers are in the parade, how is this going to dramatically improve the attendance and magic of the state tournament? In my opinion, seeding the four district champions makes sense but doesn't do much for the overall negativity that was expressed during and immediately after the state meet. Sorry.......

Rick Henry

State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by chiefstorm:
While I agree with seeding the district winners so the supposed two best wrestlers are in the parade, how is this going to dramatically improve the attendance and magic of the state tournament? In my opinion, seeding the four district champions makes sense but doesn't do much for the overall negativity that was expressed during and immediately after the state meet. Sorry.......

I take it this means you are volunteering to write the plan for seeding the district champs. Thank you, because I don't have a plan. I tried to formulate a plan every year I was in coaching. I always tested it before the state meet and then tweaked it a little before the next state meet. I always had about the same success, about the same as this year's state tournament. In the 56 finals this year 29 were a district champion vs a district champion. !7 matches were 1 vs 2. 8 matches were 1 vs 3. 1 final was 2 vs 3 and one was 2 vs 4. 51.8% of the finals involved 2 district champions. A totally inept cookie taster like NWI (He not only doesn't know how to curl his pinkie as he grips the cookie he often bites his finger as he tries to wolf it down in 1 bite)can match that percentage.

The sad thing is that seeding the District Champions came up for a vote with at the NSAA District level just one year ago and it failed miserably.

Read for yourself.

And personally, while I'm entirely for seeding the District Champions, I don't think it would necessarily improve the attendance at the State meet.

Just my 7 5/8 cents worth...

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
<bccdavid>
posted   Report This Post  
I just read the post Rocker referenced (from last year). It appears to me the problem is the AD's do the voting. I'm not trying to attack anyone, but from my experience, the AD's are typically not wrestlers or wrestling supporters. They are administrators who have been "brought up" as basketball coaches, football coaches or have never been a coach. I'm sure there are numerous exceptions to what I'm saying, but I'm personally aware of one AD that was a wrestling coach.

My experience has also shown that most (if not all) wrestling coaches want to see seeding.

So what's the solution(s)?:
1. The coaches need to lobby this issue with their AD's. They need to inform & educate them, and/or
2. The coaches should do the voting, not the AD's.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm