Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    UNO Wrestling on Outisde the Lines
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
UNO Wrestling on Outisde the Lines Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
While we're on the e-mail gig...I think the folks at the Omaha World-Herald need to hear from the wrestling community on the shabby reporting they did on this situation.

Tom Shatel, especially, needs to be called to the carpet. He has publicly and privately defended the weak reporting done by the newspaper on this, and I think it's high time the entire wrestling community lets both the sports editor and the face of its sports department know what we think of their coverage of our sport in general, as well as how they dropped the ball on this.

Sports editor can be reached at sports@owh.com

Shatel's e-mail is tom.shatel@owh.com

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Shatel's blog is also a good spot to drop some comments. I've already left one...we'll see if the "moderator" lets it stay.

Tom Shatel blog

Rookie
Is there an attorney on this forum or do you know an attorney that has posted to any of the other forums regarding saving Mav. wrestling. if so I would hope that they could respond to the following two quotes from the OTL article and any legal implications??? I among many others had pledged support to help save Mav wrestling and am now pledging support to help their new start at Maryville Univ. I am not an alumni of UNO (Univ.of IA) nor did I have a son or relative who wrestled at UNO, but this is just wrong for the sport of wrestling and how Nebraska authorities conduct business. I would just as soon pledge some more support to hold those in charge to a higher standard of excellence (had a hard time using that word in this context!)
quote:
This is the article from OTL. It states State law requires that all correspondence which has "long-term ramifications to the operation of the agency" be retained for eight years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn...ews/story?AND

In an attempt to find out what had been discussed in the past year, "Outside the Lines" made a public records request for documents, including email messages, pertaining to the Division I move and the elimination of programs.

According to the university records officers, all emails relating to those topics that were sent or received shortly before the NU board of regents meeting on March 25 had been deleted. State law requires that all correspondence which has "long-term ramifications to the operation of the agency" be retained for eight years. Officials also denied a request for the chancellor's and athletic director's calendars.

id=6488960
World Champion
Picture of NWI
My entry on his blog post was conveniently deleted. Obviously, the OWH doesn't like being exposed on its own website. LOL

Rookie
Same thing happened to me awhile back. Freedom of speech is not part of the World-Herald philosophy.

Has anyone sent the ESPN story link to the other broadcast media? They are a lot more likely to jump on the story.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Well...the First Amendment doesn't apply to things such as this, since it is THEIR website and they are free to allow or not allow whatever discussion they choose (much the same as it is here or any other site where a public forum is in play).

I'm thinking the TV stations might be putting something together. I know Tom Becka is supposed to be talking about it on his show on KFAB Monday afternoon, so it'll be interesting to see if he can get Trev or Judas Christensen on to talk about it.

World Champion
Picture of HB
I assure you the complicit local media has everything to do with making sure they can still conduct interviews and get inside information to write their lame little stories.

BTW does anyone find it disgusting that the powers that be at UNO silenced those who got severance packages by threatening to take them away if they were critical of the University? What a bunch of tough guys. I guess bribes and kickbacks are how we do business at our publicly-funded state universities now.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Travis Morgan will be discussing the ESPN story tonight on Sports Sound-Off at 10:30 on KMTV-3 in Omaha.

State Qualifier
My post was deleted as well. I never said anything negative about Shatel or the OWH. Weak.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
It is apparent the OWH does not want a free discourse on this and wants it to go away quickly. With a story like this airing on ESPN I figured it would have been covered on all the major media outlets in the metro. I saw nothing in the OWH, the LJS, Channel 7, Channel 6 or Fox 42. The only station to cover it was Channel 3. They led off with it and later discussed it on Sports Sound Off. Very disapointing.
Junior High
Has anybody tried the public pulse?
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I think a mass of letters to TPP would be interesting to see. If you've written one in the last 30 days you won't get in, but that would be a good idea.

Interesting note...went to Tom's blog this morning and there is nothing there. Coincidence???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NWI,

Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
I just fired off a letter to the public pulse, we'll see what happens.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
That is funny and very fishy.
quote:
Originally posted by NWI:
Shatel's blog is also a good spot to drop some comments. I've already left one...we'll see if the "moderator" lets it stay.

Tom Shatel blog
Junior High
Slvrhwk,

Glad to hear that you wrote TPP. What was your angle?
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Shatel is taking questions on the OWH site at 12 p.m. today. Go to "Lunch With Tom" on the home page.

Junior Varsity
Picture of SlvrHwk
Here's what I wrote. The gloves kinda came off, but since diplomacy didn't work, I figured what the heck. There is emotion in the letter, but this is an emotional issue.

After watching the ESPN segment that portrayed a further (accurate?) budget analysis of Maverick athletics, it is apparent that the powers that be at UNO lack civility, transparency, and most of all integrity. I guess it's true that absolute power corrupts, and power corrupts absolutely. What has transpired at UNO is disgusting, and Trev Alberts and John Christiansen need to know that this issue will never die. It must be nice to have a job where there is absolutely no accountability. As for the Board of Regents, what else would you expect from a group that thought the previous UNL football regime was the future?