Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Will Angrybilly finally get to see a State Tournament?

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Will Angrybilly finally get to see a State Tournament? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
After all these years?

Lincoln votes for new Haymarket Arena from Huskers.com

Just funnin' with ya AB Big Grin

Question:
Will the State Tournament move to the new Haymarket Arena when it gets completed?

Choices:
Yes
No
Don't Care
I sure hope so for Angrybilly's sake!

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I'm glad to see voters in Lincoln were able to pull their head out of whatever orifice they had it hidden the last 20 years and recognized the need for this arena.

To say that Lincoln has been overdue for an new arena would be an understatement...Pershing Auditorium would best be suited for the wrecking ball and have it turned into a public parking facility, which the city needs almost as bad downtown as they do the new arena.

The thing the anti-Omaha group needs to understand, though, that this arena doesn't GUARANTEE that state wrestling will return to Lincoln. Remember that when Omaha first proposed to use the Qwest Center, they were turned down by the NSAA Board of (Perceived) Control. They needed to sweeten the pot, grease the palms, etc., etc., to get the state tournament out of Lincoln.

Remember, the NSAA "says" they are in it for the kids, but money speaks a lot louder than a bunch of hot and sweaty wrestlers. The movers and shakers in Lincoln are going to have to make an offer the NSAA can't refuse if they REALLY want to bring state wrestling back to Lincoln, and that offer is going to have to include a pretty nice bag of coins.

I think what we'll end up seeing is the two cities hosting state wrestling on a rotating basis. I really doubt Omaha is going to just give up on state wrestling and will definitely work to keep the tournament there. I am, however, looking forward to the new arena in Lincoln and am glad they have finally joined the rest of us in the 21st century.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
You said "to get the state tournament out of Lincoln".

You meant to say: "to get the state tournament out of Omaha."

Big Grin
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Uhhh...yeah. Right. Exactly what I said.

Next time I wait until AFTER newspaper deadline to opine on non-newspaper issues...DOHT!!!

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
Nevermind, read over it for the 3rd time and didn't realize you were talking about the move from Lincoln to Omaha. Must have mixed your 2 paragraphs together and reordered them.

My miSTEAK
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
I would love for the state tournament to move back to Lincoln and held in the new arena. However, it may not be that simple. The University may not be willing to allow the state wrestling tournament. From the OWH: "The day before any game will be blacked out on the arena schedule to allow the Huskers and their opponents to practice there." Another quote: "The basketball programs are required to notify the arena of their schedule by Aug. 1 of each season. The arena will schedule other events around those dates."
Rookie
I'm not convinced that a move to Lincoln would improve things over what the Qwest offers now. High prices and parking fees will pay for the building. The same issues will apply.

Many long for the good old days of wrestling at the Bob. Much like disco, the days of wrestling at the Bob, while great at the time, ain't coming back.
Novice
Picture of Angrybilly
The funny thing is I was about to end my boycott this year. I had cleared my schedule and was on my way in< tickets in hand. Just as I was leaving town I started to feel a little quesy. Needless to say after 2 days spent on the floor of the bathroom I missed the whole thing.
Now I think I will wait it out. Just to see what happens...

"No Lincoln, No attendence. The Great Qwest Boycott continues."