Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Nebraska USA State Tournament in Grand Island
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Nebraska USA State Tournament in Grand Island Login/Join

Junior Varsity
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I understand, just thought I'd ask. I'm hoping we're done in an hour or so at the tourney we're going to but I doubt it. Maybe, just depends on how many entries they get. If we can get done by 7 or 730 I hope we can make it to GI, we'll be about 25 minutes away or so. Weigh ins are at the event center also right?
Novice
Picture of bccdavid
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle1:
Any chance someone can get elementary kids weighed in at the event center after 8pm Friday night for those going to another tournament that night or are we stuck taking them there early Saturday morning?

I agree. It is an inconvenience to drive to GI on Friday night to weigh in (or early Saturday making a long day even longer). This tournament also went from 1 day to 2 (Sat and Sun). Please discuss this at the meeting on Saturday. Thanks.
NCAA Champion
With the events that have transpired this past weekend at UNO, Nebraska USA Wrestling has decided to pledge 100% of the entry fees from the High School division of the USA State Tournament in Grand Island this coming Sunday, March 20th to the support of saving UNO Wrestling.

We will extend the online entry deadline to Thursday night at 11:59 and will be taking walk in entries at weigh ins on Sunday for the High School division. Please attempt to enter online if possible because excessive walk in entries may delay the start of the High School division tournament on Sunday. Information can be found online at:

http://www.nebraskausawrestling.org/folkstyle.htm.

This does not change any portion of the PreK through 8th grade divisions of the tournament.

Thank you for your support and please join us in supporting UNO Wrestling.

Thanks,
Alan Pokorny
NE USA Wrestling Chairman
Junior High
Picture of Cornfed
great idea.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by 525:
First point- We started off with 8 districts one year ago and said we would give it 2 years and then make adjustments from there. This is the second year. It's on our agenda for Saturday night and I believe we may be dropping to 6 districts.

The number of Districts is not necessarily the problem rather how many qualifiers there are in relation to the number of wrestlers at a tournament. Again what is the purpose of a qualifier if everyone or almost everyone qualifies? Maybe that is the question that I am not asking and don't understand.
quote:

Second point- Districts were held over a 2 week span this year which was better than last year. We would love to have districts all on the same weekend next year and this too is on the agenda for the meeting Saturday night. Although if we take a weekend early in the season for districts most clubs have a predetermined date set every year for their clubs whether it's posted on the website or not. Coordination with the district clubs is important not just taking a date early before any other club.

I understand the difficulties here and I am glad that the issue will be discussed.

quote:

Third point- The idea of a qualifier is catching on in some of the districts. I really think it's a matter of marketing the district tournaments. Some are doing better than others. Kids in my district were so excited about being a State qualifier just like big brother. Qualifiers need to stay and we will evaluate them again in 2 more years.

Well I guess there is no discussion on this issue then. But again why are there qualifiers if everyone qualifies? Also it is tough to do marketing when tournament dates change and are not communicated, the USA page had the wrong dates for quite some time on tournaments that were moved and the conflicting dates were causing more confusion.

quote:

Fourth Point- It's a 2 day tournament for only brackets that have more than 8 kids. That would be 16 man brackets or more. At that point those brackets are best run in a 2 day format anyways. The Pre-k, 8-man or less and High School division will all be done in 1 day.
This is also on the agenda for the meeting and the discussion is going to be on doing certain divisions on Saturday and the rest on Sunday which would make it a 2 day tournament but 1 day for all divisions next year.

Excellent idea and improvement if I HAD a vote this would get mine.

quote:

I believe we will have 700 to 800 kids this year which is a good 1 year increase. We have continued to increase each year. With the new venue and real feel of a State tournament the kids and parents are going to like it.

I don't diagree with this at all, but the current format USA State is set for almost 2000 wrestlers 1st-8th grade. 2000 wrestlers who must qualify to wrestle and must be residents of the state seems like a huge number. Is that really the goal? Maybe you need to look at 16 man bracket which would drop the number to around 900 and would cut the number of qualifying wrestlers? Again just my thoughts.
NCAA Champion
Thanks Lincwre,

I promise you it will all be discussed. We do want whats best for the clubs, wrestlers and parents and we do listen.

The more feedback we get and more people get involved the better chance we have of not making mistakes and doing the things that the clubs want us to do to make State a great experience for the kids.
NCAA Champion
Deadline for 8th grade and under is 11:59pm on Wednesday night. High School online extended till Thursday 11:59pm. High School can walk-in and signup on Sunday but we would really prefer you sign up on line. If you don't have a way of paying on line, then you can pay at check-ins.

See you there.
Rookie
Picture of myred65
What if the 7th-8th grader has fewer then 8 men and is done Saturday but the 6th grader finishes off on Sunday. Are you saying the 7th-8th grader is required to stick around just in case there might be a challenge? or does the 6th grader either automatically win or lose the challenge based on something else?
NCAA Champion
Yes it could happen that way, but the only weights that a 5th or 6th grader can challenge for are 75, 80, 85 or 90 pounds. I expect those 7th/8th grade weights to have more than 8 kids in them.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by 525:
Yes it could happen that way, but the only weights that a 5th or 6th grader can challenge for are 75, 80, 85 or 90 pounds. I expect those 7th/8th grade weights to have more than 8 kids in them.

Just curious why they cannot challenge at any weight? Is it because they can wrestle the elementary dual team? Still why just the lower weights?
NCAA Champion
We have been doing the dual teams for years and it's our experiance that the weights about 90 pounds do compete well against the maturity of most 8th graders. Most of the kids 95 and up will be 8th graders. Yes once the Elementary teams came in to play it made it an even easier decision to make. There haven't been very many wrestle offs for the MSD the last few years just because of that.
Rookie
Just curious why you dont eliminate the need for wrestle-offs simply by switching to two age divisions, 3rd-5th for elementary school team and 6th-8th for middle school? This would also help fill the brackets not only at State, but also at Districts simply because you would have fewer brackets. Or do the other states load their elementary teams with 6th graders? I'm sure this has been aadressed before, but nobody tells me anything.
NCAA Champion
Smile Yep it's been discussed at the meetings. I'm against the 3 grade system cause it takes State championships away from some individuals. I just feel that we are a State tournament first and a qualifier second. It really just becomes a convenient way of filling the teams. There was a time years ago that it was hand picked....that was not a good idea to continue. USA wrestling has always done age divisions in 2 year increments and we have gone to grade to cut down on the wrestle offs. I'm seriously considering just making the middle school dual team at 7th/8th grade team for next 2012. That will eliminate any wrestle offs for the MSD team. We will always have some in the elementary division to wrestle off for END team cause of the 1st through 6th spread. Besides the uncommon weight brackets, I believe our other weights will have plenty of kids in them.

We will see on Sat and Sun.
Rookie
656 wrestlers registered. About half of the grade school brackets will be finished on Saturday.

If my calculations are correct the following brackets will wrestle BOTH days:

1st/2nd grade: 45,50,55,60,65,70
3rd/4th grade: 55,60,65,70,75,80
5th/6th grade: 70,75,80,85,90,95,100,112,120
7th/8th grade:80,95,102,110,117,125,132,140,150 and 160

Brackets with 20 or more kids include:
1st/2nd: 50,55
3rd/4th: 70,75
7th/8th: 102
Rookie
Fred,
Are they posted on trackwrestling? Checked this morning and couldn't get it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cotton-mouth,
Rookie
Yes they are on track wrestling. I wish they would allow a 12 man bracket to wrestle itself out on saturday however. That is just extra cost placed on the family of these wrestlers. An expense that doesn't need to be there, especially if these kids are going to wrestle in huskerland or National Duals the following weekend. Just my opinion.
Rookie
Picture of Wrestler09
Do the high school wrestlers need a USA card? and can they weigh in Saturday morning if they want to?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wrestler09,
Novice
Picture of Gocke_Dojo
quote:
Originally posted by Forearm Shiver:
656 wrestlers registered. About half of the grade school brackets will be finished on Saturday.

If my calculations are correct the following brackets will wrestle BOTH days:

1st/2nd grade: 45,50,55,60,65,70
3rd/4th grade: 55,60,65,70,75,80
5th/6th grade: 70,75,80,85,90,95,100,112,120
7th/8th grade:80,95,102,110,117,125,132,140,150 and 160

Brackets with 20 or more kids include:
1st/2nd: 50,55
3rd/4th: 70,75
7th/8th: 102

That great, with anticipated higher number of HS wrestlers supporting the UNO fundraisers, everyone will be excited to get home at a decent hour. Those of you that don't have Sunday brackets, you can now cancel your Sunday room if you had one reserved. Wrestler 09 yes HS wrestlers need a USA card.

Curtis Gocke
Asst. Coach Plattsmouth High School
USA Nebraska Secretary/Treasurer
Rookie
How will they seed the brackets?
NCAA Champion
Click here for event participants. Click search and then choose division to see the kids in weight divisions.

http://www.trackwrestling.com/...rnamentBox=O_2525009