Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Mr. Colgate to resign??????

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Mr. Colgate to resign?????? Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
I heard a rumor today that Bob Colgate resigned from the NSAA. Can anyone verify?
Rookie
Picture of hskrrick32
AIM: Online Status For hskrrick32
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
An announcement will be coming.
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
It was announced in an article in the sports section of the Scottsbluff Star-Herald today that Bob has been named an assistant director with the National Federation of State High School Associations in Indianapolis. He will be moving this summer and will be responsible for the sports of football and wrestling at the NFHS, as well as staff liason to the NFHS Sports Medicine Advisory committee.

I wish Bob the best of luck in his new endeavor.
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
I guess Chadron St. gave him a good education!

Rick Henry

Rookie
Congrats to Bob.
Pretty successful family I'd say.

Last I heard, his brother Bill was the head of an E.R. in Florida.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Bob is a class act and did a lot to better our sport through his work with the NSAA and as part of the NFHS board as well. He will be missed.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
I agree, Bob really worked hard for wrestling and wanted what was best for the sport and the wrestlers. I believe he will continue to do so in his new job.
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
Lightweight...I believe you are right...Bill was running an E.R. down in Florida...Bob's other older brothers: Gary passed away in Florida a year or two ago(maybe longer), and I'm not sure where Ken is...last time I saw him was at his 20 year class reunion in Chadron back in 2002. At that time I think he was in Omaha. Ken used to hang around with(and still might) wrestling official Phil Pisale(sp?) quite a bit. Their dad Pat was a big part of the CSC athletic department for quite some time a long time and their mom was a nurse. Last I knew Jodi(mom) was down in Florida too.
Novice
Radio Man, is your dad Bill Kant? How is he doing? Didn't he have a deer stand accident? I always liked his intensity and his ability to get the most out of his team!
Rookie
radio man you're from Alliance right? Do you happen to know a little old lady by the name Dutch Sellers?
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
Munster...Yes, my dad is Bill Kant. He's doing as good as possible. He fell out of a tree back in 1989. He was trimming a tree in the yard and the ladder gave way and the branch broke and he fell about 15-20 feet on his head. He landed inches from the sidewalk which would have been certain death. He wasn't expected to live, he was in a coma for about 45 days. He wasn't expected to walk or talk, but he can do both quite well(Imagine him not being able to speak). The worst part is he was never able to teach or coach again and coaching wrestling was his life...trust me...I never got to know him much as a father much because he was so devoted to his wrestlers. Am I mad...no way. Am I proud of him...you bet. He's one of the greatest coaches to grace matside, and I'm not saying that because he's my dad...I'm saying that because I know how much he cared for his wrestlers and what he would do for them and how he turned a lot of wayward kids into damn good wrestlers. To achieve what he did as a coach against the likes of Chuck Deter of Gering, Pat Cullen of Alliance, and Mo Tehrani of Valentine speaks for itself and lends compliment to those coaches I just mentioned...their teams were exremely successful during their reign. It's really hard to see him at wrestling matches now as a fan shouting from the stands rather than the intense coach you speak of, yelling incouragement to his wrestlers and discouragement to the officials. Seeding meetings back then were worth charging admission to.

The gentleman who fell from the deer stand nearly the same time as my dad's accident was Bill Holliday. They were both at the Craig Rehhabilitation Center in Denver at the same time for a period.

Anytime you are at a dual or a tournament that Chadron is in...I'm sure you will find my dad there. He is still a very loyal booster. He doesn't look much different than when he coached, only he moves slower and isn't quite as mouthy. If you see him, go introduce yourself and talk wrestling...he's still very sharp on that subject, but he may not remember your name the next day unless you remind him.

Thanks for your inquiry and take care.

John F. Kant- a.k.a. "Radio Man"
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
NEF...I am actually from Chadron, but I have lived in Alliance for about a year and a half, and I'm afraid I don't know a Dutch Sellers. Sorry.
Novice
John-I coached wrestling at Falls City, Ne. for 25 years. Wrestling started in 1967 in FC, and I came here in 1968. We were not very good in the beginning, so I told our kids that when you can beat kids from Chadron, Alliance, and Gering, you know you have arrived. I also made it a point to talk to the coaches from the west, including your dad. He was definitely one of the best, and you should be very proud of him, and all of us are better for having coached against him! Larry Munn
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
Larry...it's neat that you started at F.C. the same year as my dad did in Chadron. It's also nice that the strength of the west back then was reckcognized. Thanks for all your sentiments and the best to you.