Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Vote for state tour. ideas-Part II

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Vote for state tour. ideas-Part II Login/Join

State Qualifier
posted   Report This Post  
DO NOT VOTE IN THIS POLL. THE TOP CHOICES FROM THESE TWO POLLS WILL BE MOVED TO A NEW POLL. EVERYONE IS ELIGIBLE TO VOTE IN THE NEW POLL.

Question:
Select your favorite from this poll.

Choices:
Wrestle for a true second.
Seed district winners.
Liven up the Parade of Champions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frank Ryan,
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I think wrestling for a true second at State would not be worth it. The champs have already been crown, so I don't think there would be a draw for fans unless they have a specific wrestler in a match or it has a team race tied to it. Also, you could have guys taking second that were not finalist and didn't get to take part in the Parade. If there are concerns I think some sort of seeding would be the best idea to try get the two best guys to meet in the finals.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I believe it's possible to seed the ENTIRE tournament, not just the district winners. It would require some effort, but if the NSAA could put some kind of database together and REQUIRE coaches to enter match results from all their varsity wrestlers, it's definitely possible to seed each bracket from 1-16.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by NWI:
I believe it's possible to seed the ENTIRE tournament, not just the district winners. It would require some effort, but if the NSAA could put some kind of database together and REQUIRE coaches to enter match results from all their varsity wrestlers, it's definitely possible to seed each bracket from 1-16.

You are right in that NSAA could put together a data base that would seed the wrestlers. And if every wrestler in a weight class had wrestled exactly the same schedule it would be reasonably accurate. But that will never happen so we are back to some kind of a percentage of wins. So I go back to this year's state tournament to prove once and for all that a well qualified cookie taster is better than anything except a head to head meeting or several common opponents. And I know where we can find a well qualified cookie taster. I looked at the percentage of wins of the four semi-finalists in every weight class. Of the 56 state champions 31 had the best record of the four semi-finalists. That's 55.4% accuracy. Even a completely non-qualified cookie taster like you could come close to that accuracy. When I say several common opponents I don't mean "A" beat "C" by a score of 7-3 and "B" only beat "C" 7-4 so "A" should be seeded above "B". MOTHERS, DON'T JEOPARDIZE YOUR SON'S CHANCES. KEEP THOSE COOKIES COMING IN.
<bccdavid>
posted   Report This Post  
I copied and pasted the following from a post I made immediately following this year's State tournament. I don't believe one person commented on my thoughts. I'm new to Husker Mat, so maybe this has been beat to death, but I seriously believe something must be done for the integrity of our sport.

quote:
I absolutely agree we need to seed wrestlers at state. Often the best 2 wrestlers meet in quarter-finals and too often they meet in semi-final matches. This is a disservice to our sport.

I understand the counter-argument to be something like "how can we seed wrestlers from across the state when they haven't had head to head or common opponents", but I think this argument is old and should die. Many schools travel and have faced common opponents. It's time to change.

Since I'm on this soapbox, please allow me to continue. I believe the ratings that appear in the newspapers each week are completed by one coach. Now I don't want to take anything away from the coaches that do the ratings (I think they do a fine job) but 1 coach can't know who the best 6 in the state are.

Why not have a pool of coaches from each class rate the wrestlers in their respective classes. I think a pool of 12-20 coaches from different regions of the state would be best and an average would determine the ratings. This would be much like the NCAA football coaches poll. If a coach is not familiar with a wrestler, they can simply "pass" without it hurting the wrestlers rating. The coaches could rotate and volunteer for this poll.

District results should also be sent to these polling coaches so they can update the ratings before the state tournament.

Now back to the state seeding. The state seeding should consider these ratings (if they are done by a pool of coaches) as well as the district results.

I welcome your feedback.

I want to vote for "Seeding District winners" and "liven up the Parade of Champions" but could only vote for 1.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by bccdavid:
I copied and pasted the following from a post I made immediately following this year's State tournament. I don't believe one person commented on my thoughts. I'm new to Husker Mat, so maybe this has been beat to death, but I seriously believe something must be done for the integrity of our sport.

quote:
I absolutely agree we need to seed wrestlers at state. Often the best 2 wrestlers meet in quarter-finals and too often they meet in semi-final matches. This is a disservice to our sport.

I understand the counter-argument to be something like "how can we seed wrestlers from across the state when they haven't had head to head or common opponents", but I think this argument is old and should die. Many schools travel and have faced common opponents. It's time to change.

Since I'm on this soapbox, please allow me to continue. I believe the ratings that appear in the newspapers each week are completed by one coach. Now I don't want to take anything away from the coaches that do the ratings (I think they do a fine job) but 1 coach can't know who the best 6 in the state are.

Why not have a pool of coaches from each class rate the wrestlers in their respective classes. I think a pool of 12-20 coaches from different regions of the state would be best and an average would determine the ratings. This would be much like the NCAA football coaches poll. If a coach is not familiar with a wrestler, they can simply "pass" without it hurting the wrestlers rating. The coaches could rotate and volunteer for this poll.

District results should also be sent to these polling coaches so they can update the ratings before the state tournament.

Now back to the state seeding. The state seeding should consider these ratings (if they are done by a pool of coaches) as well as the district results.

I welcome your feedback.

I want to vote for "Seeding District winners" and "liven up the Parade of Champions" but could only vote for 1.

bccdavid,
You are a better computer jockey than I am to be able to copy and paste a previous post. I tried to take one post out of a thread and paste it here but couldn't do it. If you go to the thread by using the following link and then scroll down to my post of March 4 you will have my feedback.
https://huskermat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7476003901/m/2461047832/p/1
PS If you have a son wrestling, or will have in the next 20 years have your wife start sending the cookies.
State Qualifier
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Ryan:
quote:

quote:

I welcome your feedback.

bccdavid,
You are a better computer jockey than I am to be able to copy and paste a previous post. I tried to take one post out of a thread and paste it here but couldn't do it. If you go to the thread by using the following link and then scroll down to my post of March 4 you will have my feedback. Also, if you go up this thread to my post of March 9 you will see more statistics of the validity of seeding from records when we don't have head to head or several good common opponents to compare. You stated that there were head to head and common opponents because teams travel. I think this is fairly accurate in Class A. Because of the small number of teams they have a tendency to meet each other fairly often during the season. I'd like for you to do the statistics on this one. Pick a class, other than A. Pick the 4 semi-finalists in each class and let us know how many head to heads and legitimate common opponents you find. By legitimate common opponents I mean, Wrestler A beat Wrestler C. Wrestler B lost to Wrestler C. Therefore A should be seeded above B. I don't mean, A and B both beat C. A beat C by 2 points and B beat C by 3 points. Therefore B should be seeded above A. That's hogwash. Please do the research and let us know what you find. By the way, I don't know when the printer needs the brackets for the programs but I assume it's probably Monday morning to have the programs printed and delivered when the tournament starts on Thursday morning. Most districts are over around 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM on Saturday so you have about about 40 hours to get the brackets completed. When you give us the results of your research let us know how it took you.
PS If you have a son wrestling, or will have in the next 20 years have your wife start sending the cookies.
State Qualifier
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I welcome your feedback.

bccdavid,
You are a better computer jockey than I am to be able to copy and paste a previous post. I tried to take one post out of a thread and paste it here but couldn't do it. If you go to the thread by using the following link and then scroll down to my post of March 4 you will have my feedback. Also, if you go up this thread to my post of March 9 you will see more statistics of the validity of seeding from records when we don't have head to head or several good common opponents to compare. You stated that there were head to head and common opponents because teams travel. I think this is fairly accurate in Class A. Because of the small number of teams they have a tendency to meet each other fairly often during the season. I'd like for you to do the statistics on this one. Pick a class, other than A. Pick the 4 semi-finalists in each weight and let us know how many head to heads and legitimate common opponents you find. By legitimate common opponents I mean, Wrestler A beat Wrestler C. Wrestler B lost to Wrestler C. Therefore A should be seeded above B. I don't mean, A and B both beat C. A beat C by 2 points and B beat C by 3 points. Therefore B should be seeded above A. That's hogwash. Please do the research and let us know what you find. By the way, I don't know when the printer needs the brackets for the programs but I assume it's probably Monday morning to have the programs printed and delivered when the tournament starts on Thursday morning. Most districts are over around 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM on Saturday so you have about 40 hours to get the brackets completed. When you give us the results of your research let us know how long it took you.