Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    14000 beach balls!

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
14000 beach balls! Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
Next year!
Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
You got it baby!!!!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
I was talking with another reporter as we watched the beach-ball Nazis scurrying around the building, and we agreed that -- on Saturday -- EVERYBODY should bring at least one beach ball with them. That way, we can get a couple-hundred balls going simultaneously and start a new tradition with the pre-finals entertainment in the stands.

It would be fun, it would provide some great crowd interaction, and it would help work off some of those $7 slices of pizza as well.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Varsity Letterman
Picture of LCmatgurl
MSN does not support status - click here for the profile.
Every year me and mom say that next year we'll get some...i just hope sometime we actually do. atleast last year we actually atleast went to the store....we're about there..i can feel it.

One Team, Can't Be Beat, Won't Be Beat. 2/21/09
Novice
we had a qwest center nazi kick two kids out for throwing airplanes and then he threatent our whole section that if he caught someone else he was gonna kick out 5 people with the people that did it out of that section but then when the whole center started doing it the guy disappered
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
I have heard so much about the $7 slices of pizza; I guess I missed out on it. Tried to eat before coming to the Qwest ... and just make it through without blowing money on the overpriced concessions.

I did get a $4.00 ice cream cone; that was probably a $1.50's worth at the most. I think they called them Squish or something like this. The mint was pretty good, I think they called it vanilla mint.

Had to buy son a hot dog and coke for $6.50; that was quite a rip. Oh well.

I do think avoiding concessions if at all possible is the only way to combat the ridiculous prices. Reduce the demand and they have to lower prices.
Rookie
Picture of Loper
i love that supply and demand talk...but maybe they price it really high because they know that's what people do, and when people do buy, the high prices make up for those who didnt...or maybe they just have really overpriced concessions!

"Show me a man that is thoroughly satisfied and I'll show you a failure."
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
I am just saying ... IF people would refrain from buying the $7 pizza ... the price would change or they would go out of business.

I realize that people probably WONT avoid the $7 pizza. But if you cut the demand ... it will have its effect.
Rookie
Picture of flap
As an attendee of Qwest Center functions I can attest that those are the regular concession prices for all events there. I doubt they would lower them for one event each year (especially since they are already taking a huge hit by not being allowed to sell alcohol! Bwahaha). Further, many (most) of the the workers that you saw behind the counters are volunteers for non-profit organizations that get a cut of the profits for their group. We raised about 2K for my daughter's softball team a couple of years ago by working a booth at the Creighton Basketball games. So not all of your money goes to greedy entrepreneurs.
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Flap...I recall my former spouse mentioning that one of Millard West's groups was working some of the concessions and were asking parents to volunteer.

Of course -- I was a wee bit preoccupied this past weekend, so I obviously had to bow out...LOL.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
Actually, the guys behind the counter were active duty military from the Air Force Base. (So I doubt that they can take part of the profit... can they?)
Junior High
quote:
Actually, the guys behind the counter were active duty military from the Air Force Base. (So I doubt that they can take part of the profit... can they?)

The military itself cannot profit from it, however, there are non-profit organizations within the units (Senior NCO groups, airman's groups, Chief's groups) that use these venues as fund raisers. Money goes for (military)quarterly awards plaques, luncheons, parting gifts for leaders, etc... I believe the 55th Wing Chief's group also sponsors a scholarship each year for military dependents heading off to college...

All of these things cannot be paid for with taxpayer's money, so private organizations within the units are allowed to do things like this to generate revenue.
Rookie
Picture of flap
The staffers I talked to were cheerleading parents. It's not a bad way to raise money but you do miss alot of the action.