Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Parade of Champions
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Parade of Champions Login/Join

Junior Varsity
Picture of ndb65
posted   Report This Post  
I understand it is a new venue and some things need to be changed on how they do this, but I would like to shoot out an idea and see what people think. I know the cheerleaders of last years team used to bring the wrestlers out. I have heard though that many smaller schools dont have cheerleaders. Pierce is a Class B school and we dont have wrestling cheerleaders.

I would like to know what you all think about having HONORED GUESTS bring the wrestlers out, say we invite Brad Vering,Chris Oliver, or guys like that back to usher out the wrestlers.

Do you think they would pull to much attention away? I wouldnt want that to happen. Just an idea, What do you think?

Guaranteed LOUDEST guy in the gym!!!!
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
that is a great idea. Iowa does that I believe.
Junior High
Picture of Red Sox
What if the Fairbury coach led the wrestlers out? I would buy a ticket to see that......Hey P.J. track is only a little ways a way hahaha!

Chad Mattox
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
It would give me a reason to wear my suit then! I honestly had a parent ask me about track and I thought, I just finished coaching for 8 months straight, it is cold outside, so we might start March 31st since our first meet is on the 1st.
Novice
Picture of stormfan
I would like to see the wrestlers parade around all of the mats so everyone can see every class. It wouldn't take that much longer and the parade is what is cool. It never feels like it lasts that long, get to the mat so we can start seems to be the norm.
Novice
Picture of starwrestler
I think that the parade is fine , the music is fine, but they need to dim the lights and only light up the mats so it takes on more of a championship feel.
We do this for our home duals and its awesome. all lights off but a spotlight on the mat!

Hus
Junior Varsity
Picture of Dru
Is the parade shorter now? For some reason it seems that its a lot quicker than a few years ago.
Novice
Picture of starwrestler
no, time just goes by faster when you age! trust me I know! Class of 82'

Hus
Junior Varsity
Picture of Dru
Thought that might be the case. Smile
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Class of '84 here...they gave us the diplomas just to get us out of the building.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
"Beer and sex are fine with me....
'cause I'm from the class of '83"

Now I can't stand the sight of one and don't remember what the other's like(I'm married...with a child...and mother-in-law).
World Champion
Picture of NWI
You don't remember what beer looks like??? And can't stand the sight of sex???

Wow...and I thought I had it bad...I just wish I could remember WHY.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
I always thought they played the entire song, but the last few years they have cut it off. Maybe i'm mistaken here but I think that is why it seems shorter now.
Novice
Picture of lorilwayne
Definately shorter at Quest. They don't play the whole song. They start them marching quicker and have them march quicker than they did in Devanney. Lets dim the lights and take time to recognize the accomplishments of the wrestlers. Don't rush it-it really helps get the fan atmosphere going stronger and adds maybe 5 minutes max to the length of the tournament.
Junior Varsity
Picture of Radio Man
I had mentioned this in another post, but it's definitely shorter at the Qwest. One of the reasons is because they stack 2 classes and come out of 2 entryways...where as they had each class come out of 4 entryways at the Bob. At the Bob that layout allowed for a longer walk. I'm not sure why they don't come out of 4 entryways...it appeared logistically possible and seemed much more symbolic representing all 4 classes more individually and was lead by that class's defending champion's cheerleader, whereas at the Qwest, they're led by the cheerleaders that work the mats all tournament.
<bccdavid>
posted   Report This Post  
I agree to dim the lights and then have a spotlight or two on the wrestlers. Each is "featured" for a moment.
Rookie
visit the south dakota high school activities association web site and view pix of their two state wrestling tournaments. NSAA does an outstanding job, even more so compared to SD. yes improvements can be made, yet very thankful for what we have.
Rookie
The South Dakota State Tournament usually is really good... because the atmosphere is strong... but the 2 classes are at different venues. The smaller class is the toughest class though....Class B. In the past I have seen the Kansas State tournament. Their finals and parade are really good. But the Parade at the Nebraska State Meet is not the same. It was pretty awesome to watch the parade at Devaney when I was younger. It was a goal of mine to be in it...just like everyone else who made it or didn't....but it was very electric and the crowd...fans...specataters, the wrestlers and familys made it an amazing site. But there definitely something wrong with it this year...because the music...energy and crowd was not there...like it was in the old days.
Rookie
Now I know @ Devaney that they couldn't dim the lights anymore bcuz it took 2 long 4 them 2 warm back up but is the the same w/ the Quest? I went to the concert last mon. night and right after the show was done, they turned on their lights(not all of them) n it seemed 2 b pretty bright n there but not sure if it was bright enough. Is it possible 2 dim the lights 2 bring the tears back?
Rookie
At the Creighton Bball games they are able to dim the lights, and they are back on pretty quickly. With the singing of the national anthem I think it would be able to be back on full strength before wrestling started.

I don't know what or if it would cost more but they are able to do some things with the video, maybe feed in them warming up or some other type of video (Vision Quest or some other inspirational video) with warm up feeds?

If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt you very much and winning is not very excitingy-dick vermell