Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Weight management

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Weight management Login/Join

Novice
Picture of phatjo23
posted   Report This Post  
Three questions:

1) If a kid passes the hydration test but his body fat won't allow him to lose about 4 pounds to get to the next lower weight, does he need to go to the doctor the very next day to see if he can go down to the next weight?

2) Assuming the doctor says it is okay, does he just go about losing 1.5% of his body weight like everyone else?

3) We are testing a bunch of guys tonight. If they pass, this gives them three full weeks at losing 1.5% before our meet on the 2nd of December. Is that correct?

Thanks,

P.J. Smith
Novice
Picture of starwrestler
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Here's how it works!

If you first pass hydration testing, then you get your body fat tested. If you are on weight but are 6.0% for example you get a doctors note and you don't have to worry about the 1.5% progression.

For example: Wrestler A passes the hydration test, then weighs in at 144 lbs at 3% body fat, he made it. All he has to do now is get a doctors note to say it is safe to wrestle at that weight.
This is how UNK guys do it, and it works great, you just have to make sure your hydrated and on your weight by the testing date. If you do this the progression part of the equation is out !
NCAA All American
Picture of chiefMTstorm
On #2, my understanding is the doctor can put a date at which the given wrestler can safely compete at the lower weight. It didn't say anything about 1.5%, but I imagine that is close to what a doc would advise.

On #3, you are correct about the 1.5% thing and having three weeks to get there. It will be interesting to see who is wrestling where for the first month of the season. I just punched it into a calculator for fun to see how long it would take a 150lb wrestler to make weight at 140, assuming his management plan allowed for him to reach this weight. It takes 5 weeks. Week 1, 147.75; w2 145.53; w3 143.35; w4 141.2; and w5 139.1. This new system will take a while to get used to, especially for teams that have a lot of duals to start the season. It will be frustrating to have a kid within 1/2 a pound of a weight class, but won't be allowed to wrestle at that weight because a plan on a piece of paper says we cant. A whole new way of thinking I guess. Only time will tell what this new approach offers to wrestlers, teams, fans, and growth of the sport.

Rick Henry

quote:
Originally posted by starwrestler:
Here's how it works!

If you first pass hydration testing, then you get your body fat tested. If you are on weight but are 6.0% for example you get a doctors note and you don't have to worry about the 1.5% progression.

For example: Wrestler A passes the hydration test, then weighs in at 144 lbs at 3% body fat, he made it. All he has to do now is get a doctors note to say it is safe to wrestle at that weight.
This is how UNK guys do it, and it works great, you just have to make sure your hydrated and on your weight by the testing date. If you do this the progression part of the equation is out !

If you are at or below the weight class you want to wrestle, are hydrated and are under 7% body fat, there is no Doctors note required. You are set to wrestle that weight class.

The only time a Doctors note comes in to play is if you are hydrated and are under 7% body fat but are more than .5 pound over the weight class you want to wrestle. For example a wrestler is hydrated, body fat comes out to 6.3% but his weight is 112.6 or above. He cannot wrestle 112 without a Doctors note.

-----------------
Photobucket

"A PEOPLE THAT VALUES ITS PRIVILEGES OVER ITS PRINCIPLES, SOON LOSES BOTH"

EISENHOWER
Rookie
What about the scales that some schools are using to test body fat? I am a Personal Trainer and have a degree in Excersize Science and Nutrition. A scale cannot determine body fat it does not send out a magical sound wave that measures body fat. All it is doing is a statistical calculation, I can usually determine a persons body fat within 1 or 2 % just by looking at them. I had a kid that the scale measred at 4% body fat that I can tell you for a fact is 8 to 9%.
Rookie
quote:
Originally posted by Red Rocker:
quote:
Originally posted by starwrestler:
Here's how it works!

If you are at or below the weight class you want to wrestle, are hydrated and are under 7% body fat, there is no Doctors note required. You are set to wrestle that weight class.

The only time a Doctors note comes in to play is if you are hydrated and are under 7% body fat but are more than .5 pound over the weight class you want to wrestle. For example a wrestler is hydrated, body fat comes out to 6.3% but his weight is 112.6 or above. He cannot wrestle 112 without a Doctors note.

The way I read the rules, you only get the 0.5 lb allowance if your body fat is at least 7%. Here is the part of the rules that applies to that:

C. The lowest weight class a wrestler may compete at will be determined as follows:
1. If the minimum weight, at 7% or 12% body fat, is exactly that of one of the adopted
weight classes, that weight shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight class.
2. If the minimum weight, at 7% or 12% body fat, is one-half pound or less from one of
the adopted weight classes, that weight class shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight
class.
3. If the minimum weight, at 7% or 12% body fat, is greater than one half pound from one
of the adopted weight classes, the next higher weight class shall be the wrestler’s
minimum weight class.
4. If the wrestler’s body fat test result is lower than 7% or 12 %, the next higher weight
class shall be the wrestler’s minimum weight class. A wrestler requesting to wrestle at
the next lower weight class must have a medical examination.
a. The individual giving the medical examination, the purpose of which is to
allow an athlete whose body fat test was below 7%/12% to participate in the next
lower weight class, should be medically licensed to diagnose, treat, or recommend
treatment.

Maybe I'm not reading that right but it looks like to me even if your guy was 112.5lbs with a body fat of 6.3%, he would have to go to 119 or get a doctor's note.
Rookie
Yea I just read everything essentially this is simple you take the body fat out of the equation. If you have a kid that wants to wrestle #112 he cuts to #111.5 drinks a bunch of water and Cranberry Juice passes the hydration test. At that point body fat test does not matter rather its 10% or 1%.
Novice
I don't think getting hydrated is quite that easy. I tested my son this morning. Played a football game last night, so that might have some effect on hydration. He weighed 152.6 at 5.3%.
His hydration level was about 1.037. He drank a bunch of water and I retested him an hour and a half later. He only dropped to about 1.034.
So obviously they can drop the weight before testing, but not much of it should be water weight. It may be a long term project to get rehydrated.

How is hydration going for those who have already tested?
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
I have a question . Once your weight has been set in state , could you drop a weight class at an out of state event ?

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

Rookie
my son is going to wrestle 112 and will be at around 6%. I asked bryce abby at unk he said no note if under 112 at testing.
Novice
Picture of phatjo23
We tested 12 kids last night, 3 didn't pass. One is probably the healthiest kid in the school and it was just amazing. I think it was because he had his turkey sandwich at school that hurt him because he had two gatorades and water through out the day. Oh well, we will wait 48 hours and try again!
NCAA Champion
quote:
Originally posted by bdoggy:
I don't think getting hydrated is quite that easy. I tested my son this morning. Played a football game last night, so that might have some effect on hydration. He weighed 152.6 at 5.3%.
His hydration level was about 1.037. He drank a bunch of water and I retested him an hour and a half later. He only dropped to about 1.034.
So obviously they can drop the weight before testing, but not much of it should be water weight. It may be a long term project to get rehydrated.

How is hydration going for those who have already tested?

It takes a lot more than a couple of hours for your body to rehydrate. In a pretest, my boy didn't drink anything for breakfast but then drank water at lunch and couple of hours before the pretest....he barely passed. He's not even cutting weight to make his weight class (103). He then drank plenty of water the morning of the real test and then throughout the day and passed with flying colors. It doesn't take much for a 103 to show up dehydrated.