Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Recruiting Class- Omaha Skutt
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Recruiting Class- Omaha Skutt Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
it looks like someone needs to learn how to spell sense* there buddy. and how is there any money given to kids in high school for soprts? last time i checked that was illegal.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of GO4ZPIN
Funny

soprts

The state of Nebraska is won on your feet .
James Berger

rotfl

nerd "sports" defined as an activity using physical attributes.

soprts: definition are little bugs that travel from mars and mess up peoples typing skills, lol.

its all fun timeouts.

"It's in the bag coach, it's in the bag."
Rookie
pick125 whatever man i just dont like to see a school get bashed on for stuff that isnt true about them. and im glad you dont got anything against skutt cause you have no reason to. it just makes me mad when people get on them about recruiting and stuff when none of its true.
Rookie
Picture of tigger135
You can't deny that skutt is a great school for athletics but it's not as much of a Jock school as people like to think. There are plenty of good students that go there. But I agree that they would not win nine state titles in a row, somebody would get them. I can see maybe two or three in a row but class A would be MUCH better competition for Skutt.

Crabcakes and Football!

quote:
Originally posted by tigger135:
You can't deny that skutt is a great school for athletics but it's not as much of a Jock school as people like to think. There are plenty of good students that go there. But I agree that they would not win nine state titles in a row, somebody would get them. I can see maybe two or three in a row but class A would be MUCH better competition for Skutt.

Thats why Nebraska needs to go to ONE class, lets not make it the best competition just for Skutt, lets make it a better competition for ALL teams like Skutt, Kearney, Rushville, Boystown, Northwest, Beatrice, Alliance, East Butler.....ect, ect, ect.....get my drift? so people can quit crying/argueing who is the real team to beat? who would win in a "Super State Tournament"?............my proposal is the answer to everyone's questions. Make it be a 32 man bracket and place the top 8. You will have ONE state champion at each weight and 7 placers.

Novice
If Skutt went class A, it would be more competition for the class A schools than Skutt.
Novice
Picture of Red Dawg
I agree with guest22 on this one! Class A is basically kids from big metro areas where Class B gets a few more rural kids. You have to admit, alot of the best wrestlers in the state came from the rural area schools.

I would not agree that a "super-state tourny" would be better than what we have now. Yeah, the best will meet in the super-state(which would be great to see) but ya gotta love the current fever we have at state now!

Plus, how would you narrow the field to 32? (some sort of super-duper district?) And what about the other sports, or is this only for wrestling because it isn't necessarily a team sport?

yes, but if we make it one class, we will get the people who EVERY YEAR, say well skutt should go A, Skutt would win A, skutt wouldnt win A, if we want one team to move up, lets move up all schools. yes districts would be bigger, you could do like iowa do regionals then districts, or however they do it.

Novice
Picture of Red Dawg
I think the Skutt thing can't/shouldn't be a reason to change the state tourny. I know alot of lower class schools do not have the same population to draw from as Skutt and I know this is where the real problem lies.(I am leaning more towards an added point system)

The fact is some other public schools do the exact same thing as Skutt in other sports.
Bellevue West in Basketball and Millard North in Baseball(these 2 I know of for sure and they are both in large populated areas)
All schools/coaches have the same oppurtunity to get kids to come to their school with open enrollment.

It's always up to the parents of these kids to make the decision. The fact is; if you want your kid to get a college scholarship in a given sport, you need to give them some special oppurtunities via which high school coach, college camps, national tournaments etc...

Do something about Skutts unfair advantage but also realize they have all the Omaha (public and private) schools to compete with.

It still gets back to the parents and I don't think we should be telling them where to send their kids!!
Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
quote:
Do something about Skutts unfair advantage but also realize they have all the Omaha (public and private) schools to compete with.

What is Skutts unfair advantage?
Is it that they are in a very populated area?
Is it that they have some of the best coaches?
Is it that they have an awesome facility?
Is it that they have the adminstration backing them?
Is it they wrestle year round for the most part?
Is it that kids want to be a part of the tradition?
Is it the parents choice to send their sons there?
OR WHAT? Some one answer this with proof to back up what you say!

Yeah you all say they recruit, they cheat, they do this, do that but like so many have said before PROVE IT! Let the NSAA in on the proof and it will certianly change.
Go look in the 2 most read papers in the state and look at the football and volleyball ratings published in them, Pius, Skutt, Prep, Gross and on and on are rated in the top 10 in both sports so why not bash all of them. After all they are all private schools with private funding so they all must be cheating Right? tantrum

Lace em up and beat em or keep it to your self!

And no I am not affilliated with Skutt but I do respect what Brad does for his kids and other kids that are not part of his team! I know he helped my son when he was competing and if I am not mistaken he helps coach some of the National teams that represent Nebraska. I have no idea why he does it other than the love of the kids and the sport. I sure would be very hard presssed to go out there and help out these organizations full well knowing that alot of the coaches and parents from other schools out there think they cheat or have some unfair advantage. Give him and his staff credit! They deserve it! Smile

hawk

Novice
Picture of Red Dawg
I am not slammimg Skutt like some on this board. I think you are blowing off a little steam, I never said they cheat! Is that really you on your Avatar?

What I mean by unfair advantage is their Class A population base compared to the other Class B schools across the state in which they compete with at state.
Most, not all Class B schools don't have the population base of Skutt. That makes it unfair to many other Class B schools.

I do give their coaching/administration credit because they are competing with alot of Class A/free public education schools to get their students.

Again, the parents make these decisions for their kids and that is the way it should be.
Rookie
I am not bashing Skutt or the coaches. However if you think that Skutt has no advantages over other Class B schools then you are either naive or an idiot.

Skutt is in a metropolitan area with a population over 1/2 million. Most B schools only have a population of 2-3 thousand. No matter how good the coach is or how hard they work they are restricted to the kids in their area. Teams like Aurora and Valentine can only draw from the 2-3 thousand in their area. Skutt can draw from more than 1/2 million people. Just look at the Cottles it has been posted here on huskermat that they were going to go to Bennington but could not get in because they did not live in the district but they ended up going to Skutt. That is an advantage that Skutt has is they can draw from a larger base and other B schools are limited.

Private schools also have an advantage of a lower percentage of their kids are special needs and special ed. This is an advantage for all private schools not only Skutt. Public schools must accept all kids and have special programs for these types of kids that the private schools do not have. That bumps up the enrollment of the public schools with kids that are unable to participate in activities.

Now all private schools in metropolitan areas have these advantages and you prove it with your comments by seeing several private schools ranked and you see it every year with a higher percentage of private schools winning state championships every year. The reason you don’t see all private schools having the same success is because of coaching. Skutt does have great coaches I dont deny that and that is why the kids are drawn there. But if you take other great coaches from around the state like Wofford or Pokorny and put them in the same environment I bet they have similar success. Look at Gross back in the 90s when they had great coaching they dominated a lot like Skutt but have gone through many coaching changes since then.

I agree Skutt has great coaching but you cannot deny that they have advantages that other B schools dont have.

I hear ya,

The only advantages I see Skutt having now is the 9 state championships and great coaching. Brad started his reign practicing on a cafeteria stage if i'm correct with some tough kids and helped turn them into champions. No one talks about when Brad started at skutt. Kids go there because of the wrestling legacy that has been made there, if you had a choice to go to a school that has not one a state championship in twenty years or a school that has been winning for nearly a decade, i would think you would go there to the second choice.

I am as well not affiliated with Skutt, but I just get tired of the bashing. Who cares where these kids go.....isnt it the fact that they represent Nebraska the main concern. So we can say that National Champ came from Omaha, or Lincoln, or Fremont, or Scottsbluff.

Believe me if they were "cheating" wouldnt someone had some facts by now?

And believe me, Gross will be up there again. Soon.

Junior Varsity
Picture of hawk
quote:
Private schools also have an advantage of a lower percentage of their kids are special needs and special ed. This is an advantage for all private schools not only Skutt. Public schools must accept all kids and have special programs for these types of kids that the private schools do not have. That bumps up the enrollment of the public schools with kids that are unable to participate in activities.

Any one have any stats on how many special needs kids are enrolled at Skutt, Gross, Prep, Pius, Lincoln Lutheran, Lincoln Christian, Kearney Catholic, Aquians, Bergan, etc.? While I agree it is probably less than in the public schools lets look at the population base you speak of. 2000 folks in say David City with 10 kids with special needs versues 500,000 in Omaha, that same percentage goes to 25,000. Yes there are alot more schools in the Omaha area but the David City scenario has 2 schools for those same 10 kids. How many choose the public schools over the private? I have no idea!
I guess my point is that with out the statistics we really cannot judge this point.

I do not want to bash the 2 coaches you mention (Woof, or Pokorny) but to say they would automatically have the same success is not neccassarily true. Yes they are great coaches but what enviroment are they most comfortable in? Rural or Metro? Would they mesh with the kids and the parents in a Metro seting? No idea.

At issue here is that they dominate in wrestling and are very competitve in most other sports and also in non sport competitions and many people look at them as having an unfair advantage in some way or another and want them out of class B. Well let me share something from my home town of Lexington. Several years ago a number of schools in the Southwest conference voted to expell Lexington from the SWC because it was unfair that a town of 10,000 or so was competing with towns like Cozad (2,500 or so) Gothenburg (1,500?), Holdrege, Broken Bow, Minden, Ogallala. Lex was very dominate back 25 to 30 years ago but where are they today? While they are contenders to be rated this season in football they won like 3 games in the past 3 seasons. Seems to me Cozad is pretty darn good in a couple of things. So to say that population is the determining factor is not all that true!

We could hask this over and over just like it has been done for years but the fact of the matter is not everyone likes a winner!

Just me 2 cents worth!

Is that really you on your Avatar?

What you dont like the Avatar? Just stick around for a while I will change it again. Huh RR.

Big Grin

hawk