Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Class A bracket
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Class A bracket Login/Join

Rookie
Picture of Loper
posted   Report This Post  
I don't mean to poke fun at anyone, but I was wondering if there was a misprint in the Class A 103 pound bracket. I Believe it says that the qualifier from Millard North is 1-17. Is that legit?

"Show me a man that is thoroughly satisfied and I'll show you a failure."
State Champion
Picture of deano
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I don't think that is possible so you have to at least win two matches unless there was only like four or five kids
Rookie
If this isn't a cry for more competition in class A (ie more teams), then I don't know what is.

WOW!!
Rookie
I can't seem to get class A up. Can someone post it
World Champion
Picture of NWI
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
I don't think that is possible so you have to at least win two matches unless there was only like four or five kids

Not neccessarily -- if there were only four in a bracket and the kid who wins the third-place match had been winless prior to that match, he'd qualify for state with one win.

About 12-13 years ago, there were 4-5 wrestlers who qualified in Class A with ZERO wins.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Rookie
anyone?
World Champion
Picture of NWI
Class A pairings

It should be noted, since it was mentioned earlier here...there are 54 wrestlers coming to state with below-.500 records -- 29 of them (over half) are in Class A and 43 total are in Class A and B.

Rookie
The site keeps coming up (information not available at this time) even just for district results. Anyone else having this problem or just me?
Junior Varsity
Hit your windows refresh button. It will show up then.

LG
Rookie
Pumped up for state, couldn't sleep so here's what I found out.
Class A 39 records at .500 or lower
Ave record about 23-10
Class B 17 records at .500 or lower
ave record about 25-8
Class C 4 records at .500 or lower
ave record about 26-8
Class D 9 records at .500 or lower
ave record about 24-7

I know. Strange thoughts from a strange mind. Just goes to show that bigger isn't always better and no matter where you're from or what your record is you made it to state. Congratulations to all 896 wrestlers who will be representing their respective schools with pride and enthusiasm.

See you in Omaha!!!!!!
World Champion
Picture of NWI
56 of 69 .500 or below qualifiers are in the state's two largest classes

Increase the size of Class A to 40 teams and I guarantee you will cut that number in half.

And, for the record, this is not a knock on those kids who did qualify with .500 or below records -- it is a knock on the system that allows these numbers to exist on this level.

Novice
If class c and d teams could fill out a roster and not give as many opens, you would see a lot more losing records in class c and d make it to state.

How about we do these percentages minus the opens that are given.
Rookie
You know

You must be a class A lover. Have you every wrestled a Class C or D wrestler? How do you explain a kid with 1 win making it to state unless there were alot of opening at that weight class. I not saying C & D wrestlers are better, but my point is every class has plenty of opening in every weight.
Varsity Letterman
Picture of Badger
We have a wrestling parent that had an older son wrestle for a class A school in the past. The family moved to Bennington and he came to watch the C-1 District tournament. He made a comment that class C districts are much tougher and intense than class A. According to HB, the C-1 District is a "weak" District.
Junior Varsity
what we need is more interclass matches during the year,seems a couple of years ago,i saw more class a schools at b,c,d tourneys
usually the best kid at each weight comes from the top 2 classes but from top to bottom is all pretty even,just as an example look at howellls
just my 2 cents of what i see
World Champion
Picture of NWI
What you would most likely see is a more equitable number of losing records in all four classes. With eight teams moving up in all three of the lower classes, it would open up more opportunities for wrestlers in C and D to qualify for state with sub-.500 records, but it would make the process of qualifying for state in Class A and B more of a challenge for those with losing records.

But everybody knows the reason why those in Class A who have an objection to increasing the number of teams in the largest class are against the idea...and anyone who denies it is only fooling themselves.

Junior Varsity
whats the real reason?if i were class a i would welcome them all
Rookie
yes what is the reason nobody wants to increase class A why do the class A coaches oppose this????
Novice
Trivia Question #1:
Who did Becker beat for his 1 win.
I think it was at the Lexington Invite in January.

Trivia Question #2: Did that wrestler qualify for state?
Rookie
Picture of grapplinman
I don't want to get into a posting war, but it seems that Mike wants to stir this thing up every year, and every year, I try to explain, in the best way I can, how this thing works....so here goes again, and maybe this time it will work: The coaches don't make the rules, the AD's do, and it goes through the NSAA process. A piece of legislation went through the process last year and then again this year. It did not pass. After it almost passed a year ago, the NSAA did the smart thing and they put together a committee from all classes to make a recommendation for not just wrestling, but for all sports. The recommendation came back that we should not legislate classification numbers for any single sport. The recommendation further recommended (on the other side of things) to standardize class A at 32 and B at 40). Guess what, folks. If you can believe it, this legislation was also soundly defeated. The voice of the AD's is basically to leave things AS IS. And so that is the way it will be.

I, for one, as a class A coach, believe in the committee recommendation. I think it is right and fair and it deals with all sports and not just wrestling (I guess because of the records in class A).

Now you guys all have a reason and a rationale. You won't have to ask again, "WHY?"

later
d