Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Wasn't this one of the reasons why Trev killed wrestling at UNO?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Wasn't this one of the reasons why Trev killed wrestling at UNO? Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of NWI
posted   Report This Post  
I thought being an affiliate member of another conference was a bad thing. Evidently, it's only bad for certain sports in Trev's eyes:

OMAHA(AP)-- The University of Nebraska at Omaha softball program has accepted an invitation to join the Great West Conference as an associate member for the 2012 season. The university is in the process of reclassifying from NCAA
Division II to the Division I Summit League. The Mavericks will be a part of the four-team Great West for one year before beginning Summit League play in 2013. The one-year move allows the UNO softball players to be eligible for weekly and all-conference awards in 2012, although the Mavs will not be eligible for NCAA postseason play. UNO joins Houston Baptist, North Dakota and Utah Valley in the Great West for softball.

I'm on record right now with this thought -- when Tom Osborne retires, if the University hires Trev Alberts to succeed Osborne as AD, any and all support of UNL athletics that I contribute to will cease immediately. This includes the burning of any an all Husker apparel and memorabilia currently in my possession.

"Energy Flows Where Attention Goes" -- James Arthur Ray
Novice
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Why wait till then. Osborne and the regents at UNL had everything to do just like Trev with killing off of UNO's wrestling and Football teams. Go hawkeyes!
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
I would like to see the cost to fly a softball team to Houston, Grand Forks, and Utah Valley. The baseball team will play all but 4 games on the road this next year and I would assume the softball will be about the same.
Novice
Trev's excellent decission making, fiscal responsibility, and sound reasoning....I would think he would be a great candidate to lead this country. Not quite sure why he hasn't thrown his hat in the ring yet?
Rookie
Picture of outstatefan
He was lying!!!!!! And the BOR were sleeping. Hope for sure we're all planning to remember these clowns come the next elections.
Rookie
Picture of 189MOM
The wrestling community in Nebraska is not even supporting all of the different styles in the state. How sad is it that freestyle and greco is hardly alive in the state and you guys are still chasing the demons that "killed" the wrestling and football programs. The real life learning here is that in business, the mighty win the battles and the war. I am sure that the BOR are not worried about a few dozen people who are upset that their teams were cut. How many of you were actually in attendance over the years to watch those teams compete? The attendance numbers reflected your true support...now quit your complaining and go mow the grass!
Rookie
Hey 189Mom I was there! And if you were you would know that far more than "a few dozen people" are upset. Thousands of people remain loyal to what Coach Denney built at UNO and have every right to voice it on this board. If you want to complain about the support of FS and Greco start another thread.
Novice
quote:
Originally posted by 189MOM:
The wrestling community in Nebraska is not even supporting all of the different styles in the state. How sad is it that freestyle and greco is hardly alive in the state and you guys are still chasing the demons that "killed" the wrestling and football programs. The real life learning here is that in business, the mighty win the battles and the war. I am sure that the BOR are not worried about a few dozen people who are upset that their teams were cut. How many of you were actually in attendance over the years to watch those teams compete? The attendance numbers reflected your true support...now quit your complaining and go mow the grass!

TROLL.......
Rookie
Picture of Mustang Wrestler
quote:
Originally posted by outstatefan:
He was lying!!!!!! And the BOR were sleeping. Hope for sure we're all planning to remember these clowns come the next elections.

This we agree on. The BOR and Trev are responsible for not even trying to come up with solutions to make the wrestling team viable and for not giving Denney and the team the chance to control their own fate. If UNO had said, we're moving to D1 and if you can fundraise and increase attendance to make the program viable then you are good to go and Denney and/or the supporters couldn't meet the standard then that's one thing. But they weren't even given a chance. A mixture of Trev and the BOR are responsible and they shouuld be rewarded come election time.
Rookie
Picture of 189MOM
I was not if favor of cutting wrestling or football. I have always supported the wrestling teams in this state and will continue to do so. But I can assure you that during all of my time volunterring and going to events at UNO for all of the sports, attendance was always an issue. The wrestling team was the best that Division II has ever seen and yet it was like pulling teeth to get 400 people to attend a dual. It is about support. Sure the wrestling community can come together and complain and talk about how they are going to vote out and demand satisfaction form the decision makers...you had a chance to lead that charge and failed. In the 23rd hour you will not impact the decisions that were made. Had you been to all of the wrestling meets and tournaments over the years that would have been true support. Finances would not have been an issue had all of the complainers now on this board even attended half of the events at the fieldhouse. Community support would have been very visiable. But if I am TA I can look at the gate receipts and not have to worry too much about pissing off the "fans". They were non-existant.

The sad part is that people are rooting against other athletes...hate the system is one thing...but not the students. Everywhere you look kids are training and giving their best efforts to compete. The teams that were cut hurt the kids...sure the adults were caught as well, but life is full of realtieis and hard knocks...I only hope we can preserve the "life's lesson" until these studetn athletes graduate and go to the real world....one in which you can sit and complain on a message board!
Junior High
By your estimation we should cut all of the programs. I would bet none of them have more than 400 fans. Maybe hockey. But I would also bet that none of those fans go to other events, and they wouldn't go to hockey if not for the beer.
And what does freestyle and greco have to do with it? This is a college (folkstyle) program that is fed by high school read NEBRASKA students. So those styles aren't big in nebraska, who cares...we were still getting Nebraksa kids into and creating the best athletic program of any kind the state has ever seen.
Rookie
Food for thought from a great man.....

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
-Vince Lombardi

"Winners find a way to win and Losers find a way to lose."
Novice
I have never met Coach Denney, and I didn't, and I don't know much about the UNO wrestling program. However I do know that what happened to the Football and Wrestling program there was a TRAVISTY!!!! I wrote to all the BOR's, (what a good abreviation for those idiots), and to our congressmen, and even to the Governor to show my support for these programs! Clear out here in Western Nebraska, we too care about this storied program. You don't have to attend a UNO match or game to show support to them. I feel very sorry for all these athletes, and their coaches. I hope Christensen and Alberts have to face the music in the end when the rest of their athletic programs fall by the wayside!!!
Rookie
189Mom...obviously you do not have a child like I did that gave blood, sweat and body parts to win a national championship while representing UNO with class and dignity. And the best you can come up with is move on and mow the grass. Please. You have no clue to the depth of what they have done. Why just the other day we mused about the fact that although he had a Hall of Fame career he will never go into the UNO H of F. Little things like that still burn inside these athletes. They gave and never even got a Thank You. 189Mom...make sure you attend the movie The Last Maverick in the spring 2012.

http://www.vimeo.com/23160660

Tell me 189Mom, what lessons at the end of their careers (day) did the Wrestling team (and the parents) learn from the university about loyalty, excellence, lying, respect and honesty? Should we recommend other athletes attend UNO? If you can answer that I might see your points of your original post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Observer,

Junior High
Why are you using intangibles to argue against a post that used tangible numbers to illustrate their point?
Rookie
Because 1. 189Mom's "original" post did not have ANY numbers in it.
2. Wrestling is so much more than numbers. It is exactly the intangibles that should of been looked at as well.
3. If we are cutting programs based on tangible numbers for attendance then basketball should of been the FIRST to go. They never outdrew wrestling and they still won't draw next year.
4. The fact that they did not include coach Denney in the process and then lied about their numbers as was exposed on ESPN validates that the tangible numbers is and was b.s. period -point blank. What was there to hide if there was a real reason to cut the best athletic program at UNO?
I think the intangibles far out weigh the tangibles.
And they still have not congratulated the wrestling program for winning the NCAA title. Sorry but I and many others will never ever support UNO athletics again in our lifetime. They lied, connived, and basically was pretty petty in their DI move.

Rookie
Here is a tangible...what was will never be again. Check tis short video out. Nebraska's loss will definitely be Missouri's gain. How sad is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...youtube_gdata_player

Junior High
Spell check would've been useful before they decided to post that video.
Rookie
I believe that was a play on words...one was used in place of won on purpose...

Junior High
I hope so, pretty embarrassing if not.