Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Wasn't this one of the reasons why Trev killed wrestling at UNO?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Wasn't this one of the reasons why Trev killed wrestling at UNO? Login/Join

NCAA Champion
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Most colleges in DI and DII struggle with attendance at their duals. Iowa is an exception. Maybe if UNO and UNL would have had a dual each year or at least every other year...I'm sure that would have packed the house.

Why not have a club dual, a High School dual and then the College dual at the end? That would pack a house. I've seen HS duals in omaha that had most of the gym filled.

I can see both sides in some respect, but Trev definitely should have given Denny the chance to boast their numbers....if indeed it was a numbers thing. By him not offering this tells me that it was more than a numbers thing. Trev knew that Denny and supports would've done whatever it took to make the numbers.

Yes I can see 189mom's point to. I've been in Nebraska for 20 years now and I can firmly say that most of the wrestling support is at the club and HS levels....why? It's very simple...that's the level our kids are at, so it gets big support. Even though Nebraska has several colleges that offer wrestling, it's still a small portion of kids that can wrestle at that level. UNO had several Nebraska kids on their team but they also had kids from other states that maybe we've never heard of before. You see, during the heart of college season is HS and club season.....People get involved heavily with those 2 organizations and find very little time for anything else. Thus the college duals don't get the attention that one might hope for.

No wrestling supportors at the club or HS level wanted to see UNO go, because of the possible opportunities for kids coming up. But a lot of us really didn't support UNO wrestling because we were so caught up in our own world of wrestling. Maybe a team dual outing once a year is it.

I think people should do what your heart wants in future support of UNO. If this has left a bad taste in your mouth then do whatever it takes to wash it out a little. If another person wants to support other sports so this doesn't happen to other people in the future then more power to you to.

Good luck to you all....it's time for football.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
Very few college soprting events outside of UNO Hockey and Creigthon Men's Basketball are well attended in the Metro. If attendance were a berometer of keeping or dropping programs those would be the only two left. In the scope of things UNO Wrestling actually pretty well attended. The UNO's Men's Basketball Team averaged 500 people per game this last year and had $16,000 in ticket sales. They just riased their budget by 114%. I guarantee you that the wrestling team almost doubled that just on the UNO Open proceeds. I attended it every year. It was a well attended event. That does not count the money that 750 wrestlers plus coaches, fans and parents brought into Omaha.

Ultimatley this comes down to what is the miision of our public institutions of higher learning? Is it to devlop the future leaders of our state or pimp kids out to sell tickets and booze? Why not go through all of the programs at UNO Athletic and Academic and get rid of the ones that are losing money or that are not well attended? If it is a business like Trev and Judas state run it like a business. Don't talk out of both sides of your mouth.

This is a Huskercentric State. People have little interest in anything else. UNO is going to find this out the hard way and we will end up paying for it.

If you want to make a differnce and get rid of Trev and Judas encourage everyone you know to boycott UNO Hockey. If that tanks things will change for the better in a hurry.
Junior High
You act like UNO is the only university that has cut programs. We get it, you're upset they cut wrestling. It's brutal what happened to the wrestling and football teams, no two ways about it. Athletics on the college level is rarely a moneymaker for any university. There are probably fewer than 10 universities on the NCAA level that are actually profitable. I still don't understand why you're so upset at the hockey team. I fully understand your disgust at the AD and Chancellor, the hockey team, not so much. You come across rather petty in that regard to be honest.
Rookie
Are there any native Nebraskans on the UNO hockey team? I believe it is Nebraska tax money that supports UNO.

That tax money is OUR money. And yet we had no vote in the eradication of UNO wrestling which was rifled through like a thief in the night by individuals with low moral bearings.

As far as UNO hockey goes, I was interested in checking it out, and at least taking in a game. That interest is now completely, 100% gone. You could not pay me to go to a UNO hockey or basketball game.

(Actually, you couldn't have paid me to go to UNO basketball game even before all this transpired).

I echo the sentiment to boycott UNO athletics, including hockey.
Junior High
The no Nebraskans on the hockey team argument is a laughable one. For any person that remotely follows Nebraska High School sports knows that hockey is only a club level sport.
Junior High
You still don't get it kman.
We are paying out tax money to put other states kids through college. We had NEBRASKA kids, not all, but many, on the wrestling and football team. There are many programs in Nebraska which offer football and wrestling in high school...so that they might have an opportunity to compete at the next level. COllege.

Which one should we have cut?
Junior High
I would be more inclined to agree with your statement if UNO was the only program in the state that offered wrestling. I would even side with you if UNO was a D-1 program, thus locking alot of potential kids out. Anti-wrestling critics will argue that Nebraska kids have other options at all competition levels if they want to wrestle in-state. I'm not looking to get portrayed as anti-UNO wrestling because I'm not. I was stunned and sickened to see football and wrestling get cut. We can argue until we're blue in the face, you know it and I know it, hockey was never going to get cut. It's UNO's way of competing with Creighton basketball for the Metro sports dollar. I know hockey lost $150k in the 2009-10 season largely due to rental fees associated with the Qwest. However, hockey has been a money maker for UNO in the past (profiting almost $1 million in '03-'04).
Junior High
You are still missing the point and making mine for me.
It isn't about competing with Creighton, wasn't, shouldn't be and should never be. That is why UNO was DII. You say you would side with me if it was a DI sport? That doesn't make sense. If it was DI I could see competing for the dollar. It is a DII school and the mission is slightly different. It is about opportunities for students in the area.
I understand your 'business' perspective that Hockey would never be cut, but yet again that doesn't make it right.
Junior High
Picture of BLASCHKO
KMAN, I know a guy that was an All-American Football Player and a hockey season ticket holder. He was a Mav to the core. He will now never have anything to do with UNO Hockey or the university again. Is he being petty? Does he have anything against hockey? No. He was betrayed by the university that he gave his heart and soul to. Not going to hockey because you do not like the coach or the concessions are bad or the ticket guy was not nice to you is being petty. This goes much deeper. This is about taking a stance on actions that were at best underhanded and deceitful. Actions that were made purley out of greed and arrogance. If we want change to happend we need to have leverage. The best leverage that we have as a wrestling comminity is how we spend our time and money. The best way to hurt Trev and Judas is through hockey. That is there golden goose. They have bet the future of the university on it.

If we do not take a stand on this we deserve to be treated like garbage that they think we are. KMAN enjoy your hockey games this season, but remember as you sit there who and what you are supporting.

You come across rather petty in that regard to be honest.[/QUOTE]