Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    Why is a "reversal" only worth two points?

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Why is a "reversal" only worth two points? Login/Join

Rookie
posted   Report This Post  
Fellow Wrestling Enthusiasts, my oldest son is a senior this year and my next boy is in first grade, so you will not be hearing from me for awhile. As stated earlier, I did not wrestle in my youth but I have come to love this sport. I will take this moment in time to ask one last perhaps stupid question before everyone leaves this site for the year. Why is a "reversal" only worth two points? If you break a "reversal" down there is first an "escape" and then a "takedown". Coaches need to coach their wrestlers to pause after a quick escape as not to lose the "escape" points. I am sure there is a logical explanation to this that is well beyond my 133 IQ.
NCAA Champion
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
a true reversal would be when one wrestler goes from being controlled by the top wrestler to becoming in control without ever breaking away.

You are right though. There are several times when the wrestler just needs to get to their feet to establish their 1 point escape rather than continuing to go for the 2. Too many times they end up getting nothing. I saw several times where the bottom wrestler worked hard to get off bottom and end up in a short offensive position while the other wrestler hung on and finally got a stale mat. Several times his hands were not locked around the leg either. Sometimes they went out of bounds and scored nothing.

So it's really not a 1 and then 2 point thing if it transitioned from controlled to being in control.
Rookie
it does suck when the bottom guy earns an escape only to keep scrambling while working for a reversal, the ref doesn't award anything cause a reversal is imminent, then they go out of bounds or the top guy grabs a leg improves his position or whatever

If a reversal was worth 3 points, it would give an unfair advantage to guys that are good on the mat. If we are going to error one way, I'd rather see it go towards the wrestler who is better on their feet.
Novice
Picture of Blue
I never really thought about it before, but technically going from a position where you are controlled to a position where you have control should be more difficult that gaining control from a position where nobody has control.

I do think it would have everyone rethinking and reinventing strategy if a reversal were worth 3 points. With that said, I don't think this will ever even go up for discussion with the nsaa. Fun to play what if though.

I'm your boy!!
Rookie
Picture of First to be Banned
quote:

I do think it would have everyone rethinking and reinventing strategy if a reversal were worth 3 points. With that said, I don't think this will ever even go up for discussion with the nsaa. Fun to play what if though.

If a reversal was worth three points I think you would see a lot more kids just letting their opponent up or starting them in the neutral position if they chose down.

I think a good idea would be to do what freestyle does and award a point to the wrestler if the opponent steps out of bounds first.

John Hayek
Rookie

It only counts as 3 points if its outside the paint...