Huskermat Site    Main Forum Page    Huskermat BBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Open Discussion (free)    What in the world is going on

Moderators: Red Rocker

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What in the world is going on Login/Join

World Champion
Picture of HB
posted   Report This Post  
down at Omaha Gross. I heard that almost everyone on the team had quit and there were only 6 kids left. Even Totusek has apparantly left the team.
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
That's news to me. I'll have to ask Dan though. Smile

There are a lot of open spots in the lineup; that much is true. But I haven't heard about people quitting. Gross just doesn't have a huge number of people going out for wrestling this year.

Lemme see; I think this is the lineup:

103 - Nick Peterson
112 - Jamie Trout
119 - Dan Pedersen
125 - Dan Polly
130 - Nick Sears
135 - Ryan Polsley
140 - open
145 - open
152 - open
161 - Jeff Shank
170 - Andrew Radil
189 - open
215 - open
HWT - Andy Totusek

I think there is a possibility that they may fill one more weight. But either way, 5 open or 4 open ... that's a whole lot of open spots.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: green goblin,
Rookie
Picture of 3/4 stack
How is Sears doing so far this year?

World Champion
Picture of HB
Seriously-heard Totusek quit.
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
Nick Sears has been doing well; for a freshman entering at 130 pounds.

He has been placing at tournaments. Took 5th at Boystown (lost twice to Guy Smith from Central); 4th at Grand Island (lost to Dan Rodriguez, Kearney and Alex Masilko of Lincoln Pius X). Not sure what his record is, but pretty sure it is on the winning side. Maybe 8-5 or so.

Hope the Totusek thing isn't true; would be real bummer for Gross. I guess I'll find out fairly soon.
Novice
Why did they quit the team?
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
Totusek wrestled for Gross last night at Aurora; winning 2 matches.
Rookie
Picture of High Crotch
Also heard Jamie Trout left too.
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
I saw Jamie Trout last night at the Aurora tournament; but he didn't wrestle. My understanding was he had some kind of ankle injury.
Rookie
No totusek did not quit! He was sick. But Jamie trout has quit today. Thats all you need to know!
Junior High
Picture of Cyclone
that is sad to hear. Johnny Galloway is a good coach just needs time.
Novice
WHAT WAS THE REASON FOR THEM LEAVING??????
Junior High
Picture of green goblin
Can't comment on Jamie leaving; really don't know the why's and wherefores. Maybe a combination of injury (I heard ankle injury) and whatever else. Jamie would have to tell you.

As to Johnny Galloway; he seems to be a fine coach. I think he runs tough practices and has the wrestlers in good condition.

I think seniors Ryan Polsely (135), Jeff Shank (160) and Andrew Radil (171) have really stepped it up this year under his coaching. All having better years that last year, in my opinion. I expect all three to make it to state this year.

Andy Totusek (hwt) is wrestling well; undefeated and really only challenged once that I recall (Norfolk wrestler). Should definately make it to state.

Nick Peterson (103) is doing pretty well for a first-year starter. You may get a gauge for how effective Johnny Galloway is by how well Nick does by the end of the year. Nick won at Fremont and then didn't place at Boystown; but has been wrestling well since. If he starts placing consistently/makes it to state; you will know Johnny Galloway did a good job.

Nick Sears is at a tough weight for a freshman (130); and has wrestled well and probably has a slightly winning record (maybe 9-8 or so). If he starts winning more consistently/makes it to state; you will know Johnny has done a good job.

As for Dan P; he is in a pretty rough weight (119) with 3 state title holders (Holden Berry, Tyler Sackett and Dan); and is ranked #4. If he moves up; you will know Johnny did a good job. Dan should also make it to state.

Dan Polly (125) and Kevin Peterson (112) (filling in for Jamie I believe), are guys just getting their first taste of varsity wrestling. Probably have to see how they do next year compared to this year ... to gauge Johnny's effectiveness with them.

Hope I didn't leave anybody out.

Lots of open weights though. Would be nice to see a full squad. Gross simply may not have a full squad for a couple of years, unfortunately. Just not getting enough people trying out. Very small JV squad as well, I believe.